DVD playback problems

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

DVD playback problems

Postby foghorn1966 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:54 am

Had DVD playback issues after installing Mint 11, this was what was going on and some background. I'm a noob but not totally.

Had installed Mint 12 on a Dell D830 in a dual boot Vista config. to get away from Vista.
Installation was fine but 12 was very uncomfortable to me.
Installed 11 in its place from the DVD iso version. After the installation I had no DVD playback, media would be recognised but the media players would error "not responding". Embeded media ie Youtube etc would play fine. DVD drive would play CD audio & obviously installed the OS so the drive seemed OK.
After updating packages and no luck on forum searches to get an answer I found this after multiple google search strings.

http://seronline.de/?p=224

It seems like the Mint 11 install had somehow corrupted or changed my DVD region setting.
Downloaded & installed regionset and found that my DVD drive came back with no region set. Reset the region to 1 North America. & the drive now plays DVDs

Posted this to maybe offer help to someone else and ask if anybody has any idea on what the hell happened and why?

Thks.
foghorn1966
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: DVD playback problems

Postby xenopeek on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:38 am

foghorn1966 wrote:It seems like the Mint 11 install had somehow corrupted or changed my DVD region setting.
Downloaded & installed regionset and found that my DVD drive came back with no region set. Reset the region to 1 North America. & the drive now plays DVDs

Posted this to maybe offer help to someone else and ask if anybody has any idea on what the hell happened and why?

Linux Mint doesn't touch your region settings. It's not clear why it was different than you expected it to be.

Note that Linux Mint 11 will reach end of support this month, and you'd be advised to replace it with Linux Mint 13 or next month's Linux Mint 14. You can see till when each version is supported here: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php. Linux Mint 14 will be supported for 18 months, so shorter than Linux Mint 13. End of support means you don't get any more upgrades for your installed programs (especially security issues become a concern), and at some point the repositories will close so you also can't install new programs.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs