unable to install linuxmint in window 7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
biju

unable to install linuxmint in window 7

Post by biju »

Hi,
I am a new entrant in linux, but i was using ubuntu for sometime. One of my friends suggested me to use linuxmint.
I had downloaded the iso file and the Mint4win.
Made one of the drives free and the ran the Min4win exe file. An error message was displayed pls find the attachment for your perusal
mint error.jpg

Help me in resolving this issue.

rgds,
Biju
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: unable to install linuxmint in window 7

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

If you are going to install Mint, might as well do it the REAL way; not some crappy way where you'll suffer the headaches of fragmentation and system impact due to using the NTFS (or FAT) filesystem. Mint4Win doesn't install Linux in its native format(s) (which are ext2/3/4, although it also supports JFS and RFS and a few others).

It's easy to install it the TRUE way:
1. Download the Mint iso
2. Get a 2GB flashdrive (make sure it's empty)
3. Download UNetbootin from www.unetbootin.sourceforge.net
4. Plug in 2GB flashdrive
5. Start the UNetbootin app
6. Point the diskimage to the Mint iso
7. Select the USB drive
8. Click ok and let the app do its thing. It will ask you to restart your computer once finished. Comply.
9. Access your boot menu (when your computer boots up, look for something that says "Press <X> to access boot menu" and press that key (could be ESC, F12, or F10)
10. Select flashdrive and boot off of it. Install Mint... (If you need help doing this part, post a screenshot of the partitions or harddrives in GParted).
biju

Post by biju »

Hi,

Pls find the screen shot. Help me in installing Mint.

rgds,
Biju
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

From your screenshot, your copy of Mint4Win and your ISO file versions do not match: Mint4Win is looking for Mint 12 and your ISO version is Mint 13.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

cwsnyder wrote:From your screenshot, your copy of Mint4Win and your ISO file versions do not match: Mint4Win is looking for Mint 12 and your ISO version is Mint 13.
Very observant....I didn't even notice that.
biju

Post by biju »

One of my friends said to Install Mint with Daemon Tool software.
So i downloaded the 32 bit Cinnamon ISO and ran the Daemon application. Installation went to smooth but when the system was rebooted and upon selecting Linux Mint.. System asked me to press "Esc" for more installation... later i had an option several options to choose from i had selected "Normal Mode".
Then there was a command line saying unable to find the ISO file.
I was using ubuntu till date but i didnt face the this issue while installing it.

help me in installing.

rgds,
biju
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

I think you should abort the attempt at installation with the Daemon Tool software and use the Mint4Win software included in the Linux Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon Live CD by burning the .ISO file to disk or if you do not have an optical drive, use Unetbootin ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net ) to write the bootable ISO file to a thumb flash drive, and then either pop that new disk in your optical drive or plug in your thumb drive while in Windows. Autorun should show you the Mint4Win which installs Mint over your Windows 7 without re-partitioning or formatting your hard drive. You can even remove Mint4Win by using the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs section if needed.

Repeating, Mint4Win installs a working copy instead of a 'Live CD' copy of Mint in your Windows NTFS filespace without reconfiguring your hard drive and can be removed without affecting your Windows 7 install if you have problems.
biju

Post by biju »

I used Unebootin.. Ran the Mint4win, installation was complete.
After rebooting the following messages were displayed:-
mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /isodevice failed: No such device
Couldn not find the iso/linuxmint/install/installation.iso
And a message to chkdsk /r in windows.

I have three drives.
I tried to install in Mint in one of the drives (i.e. in D drive) which i had formated before installation.

I am also attaching the print screens of the C drive and the the three drives.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

biju wrote:I used Unebootin.. Ran the Mint4win, installation was complete.

I have three drives.
I tried to install in Mint in one of the drives (i.e. in D drive) which i had formated before installation.

I am also attaching the print screens of the C drive and the the three drives.
Repeating: Mint4Win is for installing Linux Mint on top of Windows, on the same drive. Otherwise, boot from your new thumb drive using your BIOS settings and install from the Mint desktop. It sounds as if you still had the Daemon Tools installed
at the time you used Mint4Win. I would definitely run chkdsk /r if you can get into Windows.

A separate drive for Mint would not be accessible from Windows at all (so it wouldn't be drive D:\), it would be formatted in ext3 or ext4 which is a Linux format which Windows doesn't normally have the drivers to access. From Mint, it would probably be either /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, depending on which drive you used for your installation and you kept Windows installed. Installing to /dev/sda would wipe your Windows 7 installation entirely, which is what it looks as if you have done.
biju

Post by biju »

Hi,

Please find the screenshot of the options i had received.

And the installation type option i had.

Please help
biju

Post by biju »

Anybody could u pls help in sorting out this problem.

rgds,
biju
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

The options you are getting are for installing from the Live version of Mint.

You begin installing Mint on top of Windows by being in Windows, then inserting your Mint disk or thumb drive and autorun the Mint4Win to begin installation.
biju

Post by biju »

I had downloaded the 32bit ISO file and then burned it into a dvd.
Being in windows, i had inserted the dvd and autorun opened the mint4min exe file.
In the insallation process, i had selected "install inside windows". Installaton went smooth. The system was rebooted.

Now the challenge is here.
In ubuntu the installation is very easy, download the ISO file as well as the windows installer.We need not even burn the iso file into a cd/dvd as well, simply click the wubi exe file and select the drive where we have to install, after installation reboot the system. And zoom its finished.

Mean while in mint even after installation in windows. After reeboting i had to insert the dvd once again. And being in mint, on the desktop i had to again click "install mint".

I think this would hv been simple if the mint team had the windows installer for 32bit as well.

I am not so tech savy. But in comparision to ubuntu i felt mint more userfriendly (had been in windows for quite some time).

Any suggestions??
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, biju.
biju wrote:Ran the Mint4win, installation was complete.
According to the Linux Mint 13 "Maya" release notes, a Mint4win installation can only be performed for Linux Mint 13 "Maya" 64-bit.
The reason why a Mint4win installation of Linux Mint 13 "Maya" 32-bit fails, is a flaw in the file initrd.lz which comes with the 32-bit ISO images of Linux Mint 13 "Maya" (Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce editions - Cannot tell about the KDE edition. Have never bothered to try it.).

Please, find the explanation and workaround which allows you to achieve your goal nonetheless e.g. here: How to install Mint 13 32-bit xfce using Mint4win.
Though the given example is for the xfce edition, the basic procedure and steps are the same for the Mate edition and the Cinnamon edition.
Please, pay special attention to the text in blue letters in the section "Preparing the installation". Doing so is likely to make things a lot easier and spare you quite a bit of time.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”