aisleriot sound

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alc-Stu
Level 1
Level 1

aisleriot sound

Post by Alc-Stu »

On installing 64-bit Mint 13 XFCE or Cinnamon in latest VirtualBox under W7-64 bit, I find that the gnome game 'aisleriot' has no sound. I enjoyed the sound under the version in Mint 9. Is there a way to get sound to work with this newer version, or, if not, to revert to the earlier version under Mint 9? Sound is working in pysolfc.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: aisleriot sound

Post by xenopeek »

I haven't noticed sound in aisleriot; when does it make sounds?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Alc-Stu wrote:get sound to work with this newer version
Have you clicked the Sound option in the menu?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-cards-data
will give you more card themes as well as sounds. Check for the directories in /usr/share/aisleriot.

Sounds are made when placing cards as well as a round of applause when finished.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

This is a rather late addition to this thread brought about by the fresh installation of LinuxMint 14 Nadia.

System sound effects other than login were not active and the installation of "aisleriot" had no sound option.

I installed gnome-cards-data in order to get extra card themes but the sound option was still missing. I then installed Ubuntu Tweak 0.8.2 and activated "Event Sounds", "Login Sound" and "Input Feedback Sounds" with the LinuxMint theme.
You can get the .deb file of ubuntu-tweak here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-tweak/+download

Now I have a working Sound option in the Control tab in aisleriot.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Alc-Stu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alc-Stu »

Tnx, kyphi, your post is helpful. I simply avoided versions which wouldn't allow full use of sounds, and figured that the game didn't have the menuitem if system sounds were not available for some reason. I would like to set the sound to bark if an illegal move is made in the game as I can in mint 13 mate.
N4CVX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by N4CVX »

Makes me wonder how the developers can even dress themselves if or when they get out of bed. None of the helpful hints given above in this forum work. Oh yes, one time the sound worked, but only if Clementine was running. Of course, rebooting doesn't work and also of course deletes all of my links to folders on the RAID. I'm still working on figuring out Mint, though, so give me some time, I suppose.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

N4CVX wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:28 pm Makes me wonder how the developers can even dress themselves
Why would you think they do?
N4CVX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by N4CVX »

Cute answer, but think about the responsibilities which developers have. I was in the US Army for 30 years and worked with communications equipment all of that time, eventually becoming the Project Manager for a secure voice data and voice communications system which fielded world-wide (after I threatened to void the contract (worth about $75 million) if they didn't get it right after many false starts, name-calling and finger-pointing.) The system was built and developed by contractors and many of them had the same attitude I see with some Linux developers: "Awww, this is good enough for those losers out there". Well, "just good enough" is not good enough, and development requires a very focused and dedicated person to insure that what is fielded actually works. Works for all users and in all of the narrow environment for which it is targeted. For sure, a mindless card game isn't the same as a system upon which people's lives depend. but non-the-less, it behooves a developer to not wander off to other tangential projects, when the project which has already been fielded, and complaints and/or criticisms start to arrive. You either get it done correctly or you leave the arena and do something else.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Works for all users
In open source, it only has to work for the developers. Anyone else is free to contribute for their use and environment.

Only the big projects with sponsors have a commitment outside their own use.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Note that you in any case responded into a literally 10 year old thread. No one is going to waste time following up here, with that many variables haven gotten that much time to have nothing whatsoever to do anymore with the situation this thread's original poster experienced. If you have an issue you should start a new thread, with independent/new description of the/a problem you are seeing and likely providing information on your hardware by means of the output of inxi -Fxz.

In a new thread as said; this one will probably be locked by a moderator shortly as necro-posted (with the above reason for such being generally a bad thing).
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

N4CVX wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:28 pm one time the sound worked, but only if Clementine was running. Of course, rebooting doesn't work and also of course deletes all of my links to folders on the RAID.
Hello,
These sound like separate problems, so please start new a topic for each of them and give proper system information in each topic. Then people will surely do their best to help you. This topic is too old to be revived, so it's now locked.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”