Hello from Germany

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
svadi

Hello from Germany

Post by svadi »

Hi, I'm Benny, 27 years old, mechanical construction engineer from Bielefeld, Germany. I recently switched over to Linux Mint from Ubuntu, which I was using for several years until now, because I dislike that Unity crap...
I still have my Windows 7 installed for working and gaming, and really miss a reasonable open source alternative to 3D CAD software like Autodesk Inventor or Catia V5 (yes I know free-cad, but it's still in its embryo)

From browsing through the topics in this forum I have to compliment on the decent conversation style which seems really rare today - It's really refreshing to read how calm you deal with annoying newbie questions :)
However, the real reason I registered here is to get help with the configuration of my dual view setup, so if there's some video hardware guru among the readers of this thread, feel invited to help me with my issue: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=115213

Well, I surely will have more newbie questions on my way exploring Linux Mint, and perhaps someday I myself will be so far to give advice to other newbies, who knows...

Edit: It is possible that my english reads odd sometimes, please excuse me if it's not understandable. English isn't my native language, but I do my best :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Benny, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! vrkalak is Linux Mint's registered architect, and all around guru on all things CAD. He's using Archimedes CAD and QCad on Linux. Having a bit of a search, I found this relevant post from him: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p303508

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
svadi

Post by svadi »

Tanks Vincent, but QCad and Archimedes aren't quite the thing I'm looking for. Archimedes is made for architectural design, and QCad is a 2D CAD program comparable to Autocad.
I would like to have some software for parametric 3D modelling designed for the needs of a mechanical engineer. Free-cad is a project that goes in that direction, but it's not usable for me because many important features are not implemented yet.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Hallo!

Goo day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums. :mrgreen:

Hope you have a fab times,

Regards.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”