cannot get past GRUB, linux won't boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ablech

cannot get past GRUB, linux won't boot

Post by ablech »

On boot, after BIOS splash, I get to the GRUB menu. I never used to get to this menu; on boot, it would just go right into Linux Mint 13 MATE. Now, when I boot I get the grub menu

Code: Select all

Linux Mint 13 MATE 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb2)

Linux Mint 13 MATE 64-bit, 3.2.0-31-generic (/dev/sdb2) -- recovery mode

Previous Linux versions

Memory test (memtest86+)

Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
If I do try to select any of these options, the system reboots. It does not actually launch a Linux OS.

If I don't select one of those, at the bottom it allows me to

Use the ↑ and ↓ keys to select which entry is highlighed. Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the commands before booting or 'c' for a command-line. 
when I do push 'e' I go to another screen, which allows me to get to a command-line by pressing F2 or Ctrl-c. that's when I get to the GRUB command line.
There, it reads

minimal BASH-LIKE line editing is supported for the first word, Tab list possible command completion anywhere else. Tab list possible device or file completions

grub>
I've tried to boot from a USB. when I put in the USB and go to the BIOS and try to boot from the USB, I get pretty much the same problem. In the Boot Menu, if I select the USB drive, it will bring me to an actual Linux Mint boot screen, and I can select to Boot Linux Mint, among a couple of other options (start in compatibility mode, memory test, boot from local drive). Basically, no matter what I select the system will reboot. Also, in the Boot Menu, I can select UEFI: [USB name]. If I select that, I'm again brought to the GRUB menu, with the choices of Start Linux Mint, Start Linux Mint (compatibility mode), and Check the integrity of the medium. Again, when I choose something the system reboots (occasionally it will also just sort of freeze on a black screen).

I can't find an answer to this anywhere. I'm willing (and have tried) to just erase the entire SSD that linux was loaded on, but I can't seem to be able to erase/format that drive from the GRUB menu. Please help!

Hardware Specification:
  • Intel Core i5-2500
    ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel Motherboard
    G. Skill Ripjaws series F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (4GB x2)
    Plextor 128GB M5S Series SSD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PcMojo

Re: cannot get past GRUB, linux won't boot

Post by PcMojo »

I'm not a linux pro by any means, but I've locked up my system in a similar fashion several times. I never had much luck with live USB's and always used Live CD's. After getting the live CD to boot, just do an internet or forum search for commands to get you from your live session to your saved logon user. At one time I had a list of about 6 different commands; if one didn't work I would use another. It can be more tricky if you encrypted your /home but it's not impossible. If it is a grub issue, once you are logged on as the normal user of the machine (as opposed to the live CD session) you can just update grub. I would definitely try a live cd of the same or similar distro that is on the machine for this trick. There are also several live CD's of utilities that can help: Rescatux comes to mind - used to fix MBR-Grub issues from a live cd session, system rescue cd, or maybe parted magic or knoppix. I hope that I've been helpful and didn't just repeat a bunch of things that you already knew! :)
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Basically, no matter what I select the system will reboot. Also, in the Boot Menu, I can select UEFI: [USB name]. If I select that, I'm again brought to the GRUB menu,
I think you have GPT partition, and you used UEFI.

Well, you need to climb some steep hills to deal with them.

May be you should consider to use msdos formatted hard disk and disable UEFI, it should make life a lot easier on current and some older Linux distros.
deboe191

Post by deboe191 »

I am not a pro with Linux, but I had the same kind of problem with mint 13 mate 32bit. I got it solved by going into recovery mode and do some of the recovery options from the menu. Did you try that?

Return to “Installation & Boot”