"could not write bytes: Broken pipe" is message at shutdown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andyf

Re: "could not write bytes: Broken pipe" is message at shutd

Post by andyf »

Hi rez,

Is your machine a laptop?

The reason I ask is that my second-hand laptop also used to shut itself down during virus scans (and sometimes whilst watching DVDs)

The problem turned out to be that the cooling system was clogged up with dust so the processor would overheat if it was working hard like it would during a virus scan.

You can add a cpu temperature monitor by right clicking on an empty part of the panel at the bottom of your screen, choose 'add to panel' and scroll down to 'Hardware Sensors Monitor'. Click on it and then click 'Add'. On my machine the default is to display the CPU temperature. I think that will be true for all machines but you can explore the options by right-clicking the new icon and choosing 'preferances'. Your options may be different to mine.

Like I said, the default seems to be to display the cpu temperature so assuming that is true on your machine too, try running your virus scan again and keep an eye on the reported temperature.

My laptop used to shut down around the 85C mark.

You'll soon find out whether overheating is your problem. If it is, it's either screwdriver time - or pay somebody to clean it out.

Hoping that helps.

Andy.
AvanOsch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AvanOsch »

AvanOsch wrote:The following seemed to fix it:
1) Open Terminal, and go root
2) Run the following code: (Replace mdm with lightdm if you use LightDM)

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure mdm
3) Reboot (And see the "Broken pipe" message for the last time)
4) At this time the message was gone, but the Mint desktop did not load properly the first boot (Don't know if y'all will get this too)
5) Rebooted again, after which the desktop loaded properly too...

This seemed to fix it for me...
I Just received an email, asking if this solution actually works.

Well, it's still working for me.
The error has not returned after about a week...
oblakobijec

Post by oblakobijec »

AvanOsch wrote:

dpkg-reconfigure mdm
4) At this time the message was gone, but the Mint desktop did not load properly the first boot (Don't know if y'all will get this too)

Hi, I followed your instructions but doesn't work for me.. I'm using Linux Mint 13 MATE 32bit, mdm manager.
Amithiel

Post by Amithiel »

Hey guys, actually i also have that message at shutdown.

Using Maya Cinnamon x64. The shutdown it's only delayed by about 2 secs. Anyway, it would be "perfect" if they fix it :)
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

Well by now its quite obvious its not going to be fixed in this version of Linux mint via an update( With mint 14 right around the corner )(It might be but this has not attracted the attention of any programmers that are actually capable of making something that can fix the problem...) and people just keep saying it over and over again. If you have this problem please you don't have to post it anymore i believe enough people have said the same thing that someone who knows how to fix it will catch what you are asking. Instead lets post solution or something abnormal that this message is causing( Someone said the message appeared 3 times and someone also said they are not getting the message at shut down.) If it simply says could not write bytes: Broken pipe at shut down( The modem manger might pop up to of course.)at shut down of your computer you don't have to post that there are many people that have done that for you :wink:
But if you still want to post something like "I have this problem too, fix it please" by all means post it.
Amithiel

Post by Amithiel »

the thing is:
1 guy posting an issue: screw it.probably its his fault

20 guys posting an issue: hey...it might be a bug indeed..

at least i see it that way
pickles99

Post by pickles99 »

Same problem here on a new Toshiba Satellite c855.

None of the fixes mentioned work.
brusapa

Post by brusapa »

I'm having the same problem on a Lenovo L430 with MATE x64, any of the solutions posted above seems to work for me... :(
joshg253
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joshg253 »

AvanOsch wrote:

dpkg-reconfigure mdm

Worked for me. Thanks!
(Mint 13 x64 / MATE)
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Worked here as well (Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit)
joshg253
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joshg253 »

I spoke too soon . . . The second reboot after running the command did not display the "broken pipe" error, but later when I shut down I saw the error again.

Package manager doesn't show anything under Broken packages. All updates have been installed.
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Actually same here, lol. Second reboot didn't show it, but I'm seeing it again now.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

I switched to Cinnamon and now, no more shutdown problem

Post by pepperminty »

Hi, folks. I'm the original poster (OP). I have recently switched replaced MATE with a fresh install of Mint 13 Cinnamon. I don't have anymore problems shutting down. When I was with MATE, there were times the computer never shutdown, even after 20 minutes. But with Cinnamon, It shuts down in a few seconds, every time!

UPDATE: I wrote the "No more problems with Cinnamon" message above on Oct. 13, Saturday. Today is Oct. 16, Tuesday, and I take back my statement. I still have the same problems with Cinnamon. One night, I clicked Shutdown on my Cinnamon computer and the next morning (about 8 hours later), the computer was still stuck on shutdown.
Last edited by pepperminty on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

Congratulations, but I think in my case there must be something more. I do not experience delay when shutting down my laptop, only this briefly appearing message. And the same with Maya-Mate, Ubuntu (fresh install with Unity and Gnome 3), Maya XFCE (again fresh install), ... and in different computers, not only the laptop. I hope you will not experience again the problem, but if you do, please let us know (how much time without problems since fresh install?).
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

mf-linux,

My joy was premature!

I wrote the "No more problems with Cinnamon" message above on Oct. 13, Saturday. Today is Oct. 16, Tuesday, and I take back my statement. I still have the same problems with Cinnamon. One night, I clicked Shutdown on my Cinnamon computer and the next morning (about 8 hours later), the computer was still stuck on shutdown.

I'm going to try Ubuntu.
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

I get the message "could not write bytes: Broken pipe" also occasionally on shutdown.
Husse: "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it."
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Many people get this message and it is harmless. To anybody who has shutdown problems, you'll have a different problem so please open a new topic (and tell us what computer you have).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
tomC

Broken pipes - could not write bytes

Post by tomC »

Everything seems to be working OK, but when I log off I get a message saying "Broken pipes - could not write bytes".
What does that mean and is it anything to worry about?
I am just experimenting with Mint and if I have to reinstall it that is OK, but of course I would rather not reinstall if I don't have to.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[topics merged, same subject]
Oyabunbaba

Post by Oyabunbaba »

Seems it's harmless, i have it on all machines i installed Mint. Two new laptops and one desktop all have different graphics, Intel, Nvidia, CPU Intel / AMD, have it always from the beginning and i don't bother it since everything works fine, but... something should be fixed coz it's not normal to have any errors messages like this.

Return to “Beginner Questions”