Mint 13 - Wireless Problems - Dell Wireless 1395 Wlan Minii-

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SpecialK

Mint 13 - Wireless Problems - Dell Wireless 1395 Wlan Minii-

Post by SpecialK »

Hello, I am new user of Linux. I am completely lost right now. I just installed Linux Mint Maya 13, everything is working very good accept for my wireless connection. I have looked on forums through my wired connection and found solutions simmilar to my problem but nothing worked for me yet. I am very new and lost with installing drivers on Linux including troubleshooting issues such as this on linux. I apreciate all the help I can recieve. Thank you

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 Laptop and below is some information on the device. I somehow got this information on the terminal but I am not too sure how I did that.

0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card [1028:000b]
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 17
Memory at fe8fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: ssb

Anyone know how I can make the above work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 13 - Wireless Problems - Dell Wireless 1395 Wlan Mi

Post by TBABill »

Have you taken steps already to install any drivers for the device? If so you may need to blacklist any unnecessary drivers. You can install the right driver by plugging into your ethernet connection, opening a terminal and then:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
Once complete, then

sudo modprobe wl
Give it a few moments and see if wireless works.
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

Thank you for the response, I have tried those commands and these are the results.

computer@DRC ~ $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 459 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,202 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 151980 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace bcmwl-kernel-source 5.100.82.38+bdcom-0ubuntu6.1 (using .../bcmwl-kernel-source_5.100.82.38+bdcom-0ubuntu6.1_i386.deb) ...
Removing all DKMS Modules
Done.
Unpacking replacement bcmwl-kernel-source ...
Setting up bcmwl-kernel-source (5.100.82.38+bdcom-0ubuntu6.1) ...
Loading new bcmwl-5.100.82.38+bdcom DKMS files...
Building only for 3.2.0-23-generic
Building for architecture i686
Building initial module for 3.2.0-23-generic
Done.

wl:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- No original module exists within this kernel
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic/updates/

depmod....

DKMS: install completed.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic
Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8

computer@DRC ~ $ sudo modprobe wl

The last line did not show up with any information after hitting enter. Alas, my wireless is still not working.
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

Here is extra information if this might help.

When clicking on the icon to wired and wireless connections on the bottom left right corner of the taskbar i can see Wireless Networks greyed out and underneath that it says device not ready (firmware missing)

and when i go to "additional drivers" it now says...

Broadcom STA wireless driver

This package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driverfor use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-,BCM4322-, BCM43224-, and BCM43225-, BCM43227- and BCM43228-basedhardware.

This driver is activated but not currently in use.

I hope that information can be of some help.
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

TBABill wrote:Have you taken steps already to install any drivers for the device? If so you may need to blacklist any unnecessary drivers. You can install the right driver by plugging into your ethernet connection, opening a terminal and then:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
Once complete, then

sudo modprobe wl
Give it a few moments and see if wireless works.

IT WORKS NOW!! THATS GREAT!! Thanks for the Help, TBABill! I was shocked when i turned my computer back on and the wireless networks showed up. I don't understand why it works now because i restarted earlier and nothing happened. Atleast I believe I did... Well I am going to delete Ububtu and make this my primary operating system. Thank you so much for the help again!

SOLVED!!

Only thing is I can not connect to websites at times. I guess this wireless card is just barely compatible with the operating system? Anyways this will do untill i find an alternative.

Thanks Again!
SpecialK

Wireless Connection Solid - Connecting to Websites Bad

Post by SpecialK »

Greetings, I have recently received help solving an issue I had with my wireless modem here on the board. Though a new problem has arrived since then. The entire house has a solid connection through wireless to our modem, including myself. Although, my connection being solid and able to access websites sometimes. I end up on the "This Webpage is not Available" page constantly. So I refresh and sometimes that takes forever. Strange enough when I put my address of my modem in the browser and log into my modem, it seems to give me a quick surge of working wireless. I come on the forum here and it will work 50% of the time.

I absolutely love Linux, though I had this same problem in the new Ubuntu. Seems like I have this problem on my laptop with Linux. :| Any suggestions?

Here is a link to my previous problem with my wireless modem if it helps any with my problem I am receiving.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=115921

Thank you for your help
SpecialK

Re: Wireless Connection Solid - Connecting to Websites Bad

Post by SpecialK »

Maybe this will solve all my problems with my connection? https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... -pcie-card

I am guessing this broadcom wireless just does not like Linux. :|
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

For that card, you could also try ndiswrapper (windows' ) drivers for that device..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=960628
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
--from another poster in this link, probably the driver you used, just make sure it was the correct version 32bit or 64bit (I would suggest 32bit, does work on a 64bit OS, but has probably had a longer development time and won't be so cutting edge (newer as 64bit version might be! )

Also some web sites may be problematic, for example Linuxmint.com does seem to have difficulties at times, one assumes busy with too many user connections slowing their response to forums etc..
--as well mediabuntu quite often has updating (user connection issues)

Other sites, if you were specific may also have similar problems, you have to say which web sites to determine whether that would be the case or not..
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

Thanks DrHu,

I apreciate your response and advice. Things didn't go as to plan in suggestion in the instructions, it became a hot mess. I ended up having to reinstall Linux Mint. I tried a different pcie card but it wasnt any better than the one I have when it comes to linux. Then I tried Ubuntu, it didnt do much a difference. I like Linux Mint much better as well. So I went with the old pcie card mentioned in the beginning and went back to linux with the settings shown in that link in my first post. I will have to buy a decent PCIE wireless card to totally have a good experience I figure.

:|
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

No problem at all. Possibly you had another driver loaded and we probably should have unloaded that module, then loaded the wl module. For future reference, say you had the b43 driver loaded and wanted/need the wl instead. Once you install bcmwl-kernel-source, then to activate it and deactivate the other, just

sudo modprobe -r b43 wl
Then

sudo modprobe wl
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

THe BCM4312 you have is a fine card. I wonder if you have conflicting modules? Can you paste the output of

lsmod
in a terminal so we can see what drivers you have active? If you want to try a quick fix just to see if it has any effect (but this is NOT permanent), just

sudo modprobe -r b43 wl
Then

sudo modprobe wl
Wondering if that will help any, but right now it's just a guess till we know more about what you have loaded.
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

TBABill wrote:No problem at all. Possibly you had another driver loaded and we probably should have unloaded that module, then loaded the wl module. For future reference, say you had the b43 driver loaded and wanted/need the wl instead. Once you install bcmwl-kernel-source, then to activate it and deactivate the other, just

sudo modprobe -r b43 wl
Then

sudo modprobe wl
Excellent, Thank you

Do you have any suggestions to why i have a solid signal and i have these DNS errors 25-50% of the time? I am up for accepting it at the moment due to trying many things and no success. Although if you have any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an interesting thing, I can go on webcam on gmail and it will work without getting lagged or losing its connection. Although during the conversation my web surfing experience will be succesful without a dns error 50-75% of the time. DNS error page shows up? That seems a bit strange.
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

Great, thank you for all your help, here is what I am working with.

specialk@DCR ~ $ lsmod
Module Size Used by
michael_mic 12540 8
arc4 12473 4
dm_crypt 22528 1
rfcomm 38139 0
bnep 17830 2
joydev 17393 0
parport_pc 32114 0
bluetooth 158438 10 rfcomm,bnep
ppdev 12849 0
binfmt_misc 17292 1
dell_wmi 12601 0
sparse_keymap 13658 1 dell_wmi
dell_laptop 13671 0
dcdbas 14098 1 dell_laptop
lib80211_crypt_tkip 17240 0
uvcvideo 67203 0
videodev 86588 1 uvcvideo
r852 17901 0
r592 17808 0
sm_common 16737 1 r852
nand 49667 2 r852,sm_common
nand_ids 8547 1 nand
mtd 35584 2 sm_common,nand
nand_bch 13003 1 nand
bch 21757 1 nand_bch
nand_ecc 13070 1 nand
memstick 15857 1 r592
psmouse 87140 0
serio_raw 13027 0
snd_hda_codec_idt 60251 1
wl 2646601 0
snd_hda_intel 32765 2
snd_hda_codec 109562 2 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 13276 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 80845 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_midi 13132 0
snd_rawmidi 25424 1 snd_seq_midi
mac_hid 13077 0
lib80211 14040 2 lib80211_crypt_tkip,wl
snd_seq_midi_event 14475 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 51567 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 28931 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 14172 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd 62064 13 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 14635 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 14115 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
lp 17455 0
parport 40930 3 parport_pc,ppdev,lp
firewire_ohci 40180 0
firewire_core 56906 1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t 12627 1 firewire_core
sdhci_pci 18324 0
sdhci 28241 1 sdhci_pci
tg3 137273 0
i915 414568 2
drm_kms_helper 45466 1 i915
drm 197692 3 i915,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 13199 1 i915
video 19068 1 i915
wmi 18744 1 dell_wmi

--------------------------
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

Your assistance has been a great help and is appreciated.
Last edited by SpecialK on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

topics merged: same subject, same OP
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

zerozero wrote:topics merged: same subject, same OP
Thank You, I had realized the mistake of making two topics after the fact. Sorry
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

Here is a quirk i just discovered with the issue I am having. If I have a movie paused on my Roku (streaming video) and the internet is not working, all I have to do is push play on the movie and then the internet on my laptop will start working. So everytime I use my laptop I turn on my tv and go to hulu plus on my Roku and start a movie and push pause, when the internet stops working I push play and the signal works again and fast.

Any Idea why that seems to work? I did not have the same problem when using windows 7 so I cant think of it being a conflict. Though if I knew I wouldn't be here. Any help would be great.
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK »

I appreciate all the help that was offered to me though I have found a solution. I took a drive over to my local used computer hardware store and I found a AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) for $5.00. This works great so far, I am a happy camper. This was definitely a learning experience.

Thank You for all your help everyone! :D
Chris888

Post by Chris888 »

Replacing the card with one with an Atheros chipset was a smart choice. You won't have to deal with it again.
astruyan

Post by astruyan »

Finally!!!! Thanks thanks thanks! TBABILL, you saved me a lot of continuing frustration. For many days now I have tried to get my Netgear WNA3100 USB wifi device to work. There are so many good advice sites and offers of help out there, but none of them worked for me. This two-line simple fix helped where nothing else did.

Now I can move the desktop back out of the dining room area, off the table, and back to teh office area. (Yeah, I am too lazy to either install ethernet jack to the office or make a long ethernet cable.)

Thanks a bunch!

Return to “Networking”