What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jeffmint

Re: What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Post by jeffmint »

Speaking as an idiot my advice is never upgrade. When you get it working well use it forever. When you reach the state when you will not take this advice. Install another version and put up with dual booting.
grandtheft_jiujitsu

Post by grandtheft_jiujitsu »

I'm still really new to linux entirely so I don't have very much to offer in the way of advice, but I have complied what I think is a good starting stack of bookmarked reference pages....

Differences between Windows and Linux:
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/wind ... /7724.aspx
Mint Tips & Tricks - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813
Tips for Mint 10 & 11 (most of them are still relevant) - http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... lation.htm

Command Line References:
Linux Shortcuts - http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linu ... 31366.aspx
Linux Mint Commands - http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/244
Shell Stuff - http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linu ... arsely_rec
Interactive Command Line Training (not Mint specific but a good starter) - http://linuxsurvival.com/index.php

Security & Cleanup:
Antivirus & Defragging - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31723
Loads of Security Information - http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-security.html
Getting the Most out of Bleachbit - http://www.howtogeek.com/116971/7-tips- ... for-linux/

Power Management Tools - http://linuxappfinder.com/system/powerm ... _type=desc

Comparison of some Desktop Environments - http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux ... me-or-xfce
*Currently I use Cinnamon as a "daily driver" and XFCE when my laptop is running on battery. I also found KDE-Plasma-Desktop to be very reminiscent of a Windows feel with a Linux twang if that's something you're after.

and of course Eye-Candy and Appearance Mods - http://gnome-look.org/
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

lol, 12 pages

You are NOT a Newbie as soon as you decide you really want to learn.

As long as you are on the path, you are a 'journeyman'... the apprentice still doesn't really know if it is right for them or not. The journeyman has decided it is worth the journey.

For a real newbie who is considering the journey, the best option is the public Library. Check out a book about Linux that comes with a cd or dvd, depending on your hardware. Check the system requirements in the back of the book for that particular disc. Find one that is as new as your hardware can handle. The book will be able to take you through the complete journey from Newbie to Master.

Becoming a Master is really just the beginning. It is so much better to have control over your system than letting it control you. I feel sorry for people who refuse to learn more than 'right-click'. Which is why we need more and better 'mintiness' so people will be ATTRACTED to Linux, not just driven to it by oppressive M$Windows/AppleO$.

The missionary aspect of Linux makes it even more fun, for people who want to help others experience freedom, too.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I have been thinking about this topic awhile and I think this thread is a good example of a problem Linux has with attracting non-geek users, which it must do to grow.
Looking over this thread would give one the impression that there was a considerable learning curve to be climbed if one is to use Linux Mint. My experience has shown me otherwise.
The really wonderful accomplishment of the Mint team is that they have, with Mint13, succeeded in creating a distro that a regular, casual home user can just sit down and use. Sure, somethings are a bit different but certainly no more than what a user would encounter switching from Windows to OSX and less than going from OSX to Windows.
I used the MacOS for over twenty years with a smattering of Windows along the way and I have found the change to Mint to have been amazingly easy. I talked my wife into letting me put Mint/Cinnamon on her PC to replace XP and after explaining the basics to her left her to it and she has had no problem what so ever using Mint.
I have done some learning about terminal commands but just out of curiosity. Nothing I have used the terminal for was necessary, everything I really needed to do I have been able to do in the GUI.
Mint rocks, it's easy.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
configX

Post by configX »

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Based on my own experience, here are some things that stand out:
  • You will most likely break your system at least once but that's OK as long as you keep your stuff backed up. It's part of the learning process.
  • Don't be afraid to jump on the forums, IRC, or any other communication method to seek answers and support. The Linux and Linux Mint communities are better than any paid technical support you can get.
  • Stay calm and don't give up, you will find an answer sooner or later. Like anything new, becoming a pro takes time.
  • Customize to your heart's content. That's the beauty of open-source software. The more you make it yours the more you will be happy with it.
  • Search the web for everything related to Linux. Knowledge is power! The more you know the better off you will be.
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

the worst for me was losing my data partition on my former windows 7 hdd
I believe i had installed w7 onto 200 gb and left the rest unpartitioned;
then when inside w7 I used it to partition the remainder as data

when I later decided to try linux again, i first deleted the w7 partition (200gb) - no problem
then (from the live cd/dvd) I deleted the 100mb partition, and my data partition went with it, poof

and no warning, except for the general 'you may lose all your data or break your disk' lol

backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup : backup :
dickrex

Post by dickrex »

Read, read and read! DON'T GIVE UP!

...and never accuse the developer for not testing inough. It's your job to find a "walk around" or invent the wheel again. Remember that your time is free and that you, as all users, are very interested and have patient to solve mistakes made by others. :?
TFMTASAD

Post by TFMTASAD »

Being a newbie myself, my tip to you is simply : Just use the damn thing as you would use any other computer. Mint can be as simple or complex as anything out there. Like Windows and OSX, Linux distributions have their own way of doing things but it's still just an OS (you know...icons, software, clicking, typing and all that stuff... :wink: ). Have fun with it!
giantjoebot

Post by giantjoebot »

I'm a newbie, but here is something that I figured out

Limit your Google searches to one year, and try ordering them by date. Normal Google searches a lot of times gets you stuff that is so old it doesn't work, or is no longer relevant. You Can change the setting on the left of your search, and don't worry it only changes that search. The next Google search will be a normal one.
Oyabunbaba

Post by Oyabunbaba »

My advice is to check everything by yourself, slowly, on computer that you can allow to loose data, eventually to install Mint on different disk or partition. And when you have question for something just ask here. And one by one discover it, and yes, you have to read a lot, but that's the things goes. I do it that way and all the tips i learn i was writing down to notepad, now i am sharing it on my blog to help others newbies like i was 3 years ago.
For 99% you can have Mint as a Windows substitute. The only one thing i am suffering is that Flash for Linux doesn't support hardware 3D acceleration but that's Adobe fault.
Good Luck
python134r

Post by python134r »

First Post here! Nice to be here.......While I am not new to Linux distros I have only been using them in the context of Live-CD recovery of data from time to time and of course the ubiquitous Android. I have found a little bit of research and reading goes along way when installing and setting up a new non-M$ operating system. For myself, getting comfortable with the terminology and asking questions helped me much for I was not fearful of making a mess, I come from the school "tweak it till it stops working, then start again" type of thing.
I am downloading linuxmint 13 cinnamon 64 at the moment, I just built a new machine, here are the specs:

Xeon E3-1240V2/TTWaterPro2
ASUS Sabertooth Z77/2x8Gb GSkill 1866
ATISapphireVapor-X 7970/SamsungSH223FDVD
Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD / WD 2TB Black HDD
Lian Li Pc-7B plusII/PC Power and Cooling 850 SSI Turbo/Z-5500's.

I hope I do not have any driver issues nor issues with the Xeon cpu. I am looking forward to installing Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit, it should be very snappy and stable. I most likely will dualboot with Windows 7 Pro, it's still a windows world mainstream in the front office out there and so it goes........ :D 8)
Cyberz

Post by Cyberz »

python134r wrote:First Post here! Nice to be here.......While I am not new to Linux distros I have only been using them in the context of Live-CD recovery of data from time to time and of course the ubiquitous Android. I have found a little bit of research and reading goes along way when installing and setting up a new non-M$ operating system. For myself, getting comfortable with the terminology and asking questions helped me much for I was not fearful of making a mess, I come from the school "tweak it till it stops working, then start again" type of thing.
I am downloading linuxmint 13 cinnamon 64 at the moment, I just built a new machine, here are the specs:

Xeon E3-1240V2/TTWaterPro2
ASUS Sabertooth Z77/2x8Gb GSkill 1866
ATISapphireVapor-X 7970/SamsungSH223FDVD
Intel 335 Series 240GB SSD / WD 2TB Black HDD
Lian Li Pc-7B plusII/PC Power and Cooling 850 SSI Turbo/Z-5500's.

I hope I do not have any driver issues nor issues with the Xeon cpu. I am looking forward to installing Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit, it should be very snappy and stable. I most likely will dualboot with Windows 7 Pro, it's still a windows world mainstream in the front office out there and so it goes........ :D 8)

let me know how u get it work on ASUS Sabertooth Z77, because I don't have a clue
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I have a few bits of earned wisdom:

1) Try out alternatives and make your mistakes on Persistent Live USB rather than rushing into hard drive install. 4GB thumb drive with a couple of GB "Persistence" (saves settings between boots) will run a bit slower but that itself is a great guide to performance and compatibility with your system.

2) If you want to keep the system on the machine for a few years be sure to install a "long term support" version (e.g. Mint 13) because when support runs out, unlike XP, you are left stranded for most or all of the software versions on your system as well as updates for the system itself.

3) Linux documentation is often confusing but support forums have been very helpful for me. The more relevant detail in the original posted question the more likely a quick and useful answer instead of a lot of questions back, so it's worth doing some googling before posting questions or issues.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

deanom wrote:Hi
I'm thinking of trying Mint for the first time, and have no experience of using any Linux distros. What are your top tips for me BEFORE my DVD arrives?
Possible topics:
Installation
Connecting to the Internet
Problem Solving
Please note that technical instructions will need to be pretty basic.
Thanks

Deano
Lincolnshire
England
Hello Deano,

I love your post and question and it really gets to the bottom!

My answers:

1. With regard to Linux distros in general:

Answer: Make a shortlist of those that are most appealing. Then download them and try to install. You will soon find out which work and which won't. After the installation run the updates. You will soon find out which work and which don't. (This is not sarcastic, just experience.)
The install the applications you want. Check them out intensively. Does everything work? If yes, you're a happy champ! If not, try another distro.

2. With regard to Linux Mint (we're on the Linux Mint forum, aren't we?):

Answer: First go with the mainstream version of Linux Mint, UNLESS you have a good reason not to. The good reason would be low computing resources (try XFCE), or the wish or need to go with the latest Linux applications (this would be LMDE rolling edition?).

3. If you have a reasonable modern PC/laptop the mainstream edition (Maya) should be OK.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

PowerHouse wrote: 1. With regard to Linux distros in general:
Answer: Make a shortlist of those that are most appealing. Then download them and try to install. You will soon find out which work and which won't. After the installation run the updates. You will soon find out which work and which don't. (This is not sarcastic, just experience.)
The install the applications you want. Check them out intensively. Does everything work? If yes, you're a happy champ! If not, try another distro.
[/quote]

:arrow: This should be the #1 tip for all Linux newbies! +1 :idea:
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
coltstrgj

Post by coltstrgj »

Its really easy to install, pop in the disk, boot from the disk (select this from bios) and then there will be an install button on the desktop.If possible, plug in an internet cable(ethernet/cat5/cat6/whatever they call it now) during instalation (the installer will also remind you)
As soon as you get the install complete (still pluged in to an ethernet cable), open terminal, and type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
wait for that to finish (press y if prompted y/n) and then type

sudo apt-get upgrade
. You may need to do

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
as well depending on how old the disk is. All that this is doing is getting everything up to date
As for connecting to the internet over wifi, you will need to connect to the internet through an Ethernet cable during instalation and, assuming that your laptop is new enough(mine isnt, and im having trouble with this myself. my roommates works fine), and the wireless drivers should be taken care of for you.
If your laptop is a little older, and the wireless doesn't work, then you will need to try and find some linux drivers for your wifi card (find what card you have by using "lspci" in terminal) and if there arent any, then you will need to use Ndiswrapper. It comes pre-installed in mint. before you do that open "synaptic package manager" and search for ndiswrapper and two of the packages will not be installed (dkms, and source I think) you can tell which two because they will be missing the little green box on the left. Mark them for install, then click the apply button at the top of the program.
Then you will need to find the newest windows driver for that card, try and get the windows xp version if possible as they seem to be the most commonly working. save the exe file to a folder somewhere you can find easily (like your desktop) and then right click and click extract here. It will add a bunch of the files from inside the .exe to that folder. Open ndiswrapper from the start menu, and click install new. Find the .inf file in the files that you just created in the folder. It will usually be in a folder (inside of the one you made) called drivers_us or something similar. Restart the computer and the wifi should be working. If not then try opening additional drivers and if it the wifi drivers say installed but not currently in use then remove the driver (button bottom right) and then "activate" them again )button same place) If they start working at that point, then see this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 09#p650709 that should help. If not try uninstalling the driver from within Ndiswrapper and installing an older version. Try googling your card and linux mint to see if anyone has a recommendation.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

With regard to the previous post: I strongly recommend using a USB stick. It's environmentally friendly and you can easily download the latest release and put it on the USB stick.

There are several programs that allow you to make a bootable USB stick. One of them is UNetbootin. I believe it's even available for Windows. So all you have to do is enable boot from USB in your computer BIOS.

Using a bootable USB stick is also the best way to get familiar with Linux. You can download

For more on bootable USB sticks, just Google "pendrive linux" or "bootable usb stick linux".

Caveat: Some distributions are difficult to install with a USB stick. If it doesn't work with the USB stick (provided you properly created a bootable USB stick using UNetbootin or another application, or the dd application in Linux or Mac OS), you may want to try a disc. I have some Fedora distros on disc since I couldn't get them booting from USB stick. I haven't had any issues with Linux Mint, Ubuntu or any Debian based distribution.
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

grandtheft_jiujitsu wrote:I'm still really new to linux entirely so I don't have very much to offer in the way of advice, but I have complied what I think is a good starting stack of bookmarked reference pages....

Differences between Windows and Linux:
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/wind ... /7724.aspx
Mint Tips & Tricks - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813
Tips for Mint 10 & 11 (most of them are still relevant) - http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... lation.htm

Command Line References:
Linux Shortcuts - http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linu ... 31366.aspx
Linux Mint Commands - http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/244
Shell Stuff - http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linu ... arsely_rec
Interactive Command Line Training (not Mint specific but a good starter) - http://linuxsurvival.com/index.php

Security & Cleanup:
Antivirus & Defragging - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31723
Loads of Security Information - http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-security.html
Getting the Most out of Bleachbit - http://www.howtogeek.com/116971/7-tips- ... for-linux/

Power Management Tools - http://linuxappfinder.com/system/powerm ... _type=desc

Comparison of some Desktop Environments - http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux ... me-or-xfce
*Currently I use Cinnamon as a "daily driver" and XFCE when my laptop is running on battery. I also found KDE-Plasma-Desktop to be very reminiscent of a Windows feel with a Linux twang if that's something you're after.

and of course Eye-Candy and Appearance Mods - http://gnome-look.org/
Very useful post for newcomers.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 »

Tony.B wrote:
annie89 wrote:i am thinking of trying mint first time but i have no any experience ever...please can anyone provides me some tips.
Hi Annie.
On the assumption that the "89" in your user-name isn't your age, you don't need any tips.
  • (a) You've discovered that there are different (and MUCH cheaper and safer) alternatives when using a computer.
    (b) You've now discovered Linux Mint, which makes things easier.
    (c) You've discovered this forum, which is the lifeline you wished you had when you were with a different operating system.
Welcome to Linux Mint.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PS I'm over 60 and am not from any sort of computer-using background. I can assure you that my grey hair was NOT from coming to grips with Linux Mint.
I'm another "Silver Surfer" and I've been using Linux Mint for nearly 4 years. I have now settled in as a Mint user and have absolutely no desire to use any other Operating System. I am not a power user or a gamer, I'm a writer (of books) and communicator ... Linux Mint ticks all the right boxes for me. Occasionally, you may require some technical help ... the forum will help and support you. I am not technically minded but the instructions I received when help was needed was soon forthcoming and easy to follow. You will find that the "Geeky" guys on here love nothing more than solving problems (thanks guys) ... Stick with Mint and you can't go wrong.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
ummagumma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ummagumma »

To be honest mate, reading every and bit of info you can is the best way to learn the about the system. I'm not sure there is a definitive single link to all the info.

I sort of started with the same mindset as you, but the more you read, the more you learn, and believe me I'm learning every day. Once you delve in, you won't look back I promise.

Return to “Beginner Questions”