alt+f2 and delete button don't work in Cinnamon 1.4, LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
frankob

alt+f2 and delete button don't work in Cinnamon 1.4, LMDE

Post by frankob »

I have just installed LMDE 64 yesterday and noticed today that alt+f2 doesn't work. In the keyboard settings the binding was set normally all the time, but it still doesn't work. Alt+f1, neither, but I don't use that very much, anyway...

I have also just noticed that in Nautilus pressing delete on the keyboard doesn't move files to trash. Shift+delete works normally...

I've had Ubuntu installed on this machine before and have kept the home folder (on a different partition) while installing, if this info can help.

Any idea how to solve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frankob

Re: alt+f2 and delete button don't work in Cinnamon 1.4, LMD

Post by frankob »

I have noticed that in Nautilus, ctrl+delete works instead of just delete... How do I change that?

Still no clue about the alt+f2 issue...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

frankob wrote:I've had Ubuntu installed on this machine before and have kept the home folder (on a different partition) while installing, if this info can help.
you have kept it and are using it?
please create a new user and test if these issues are present under that newly created account.
frankob

Post by frankob »

Yes, I am using that as my home partition and folder. I just tried what you suggested, and alt+f1 and alt+f2 really work there, while in Nautilus I still have to use ctrl+delete, instead of just delete to send files in trash. And, interestingly enough, my touchpad has issues of his own on that testing account... but this is off topic.

I am sure that in Ubuntu alt+f2 worked fine, and, as I already said, the bindings are set as they should all the time... I guess somewhere in my user settings something is telling to Unity or Compiz to handle this, but Unity is not running (Cinnamon is), which causes the issue. I have searched around dconf and gconf and couldn't find anything related, or at least nothing that I could recognize as related... as I am obviously missing something.
frankob

Post by frankob »

Yes, but for the third time, I have this already set in the keyboard settings.

It was already set all the time there, but I tried to reset it, anyway... no dice!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

so we go back to the first idea: (re)using an pre-existing home is a bad idea, you have ubuntu/unity config files messing up lmde/cinnamon
frankob

Post by frankob »

yeh, obviously... I was thinking about deleting all the Unity and Compiz configuration stuff, which I don't necessarily need. But then I found out I couldn't configure Cinnamon the way I needed, for example, no easy way to make the "taskbar" show windows from all workspaces. So I dumped it and installed Xfce instead, which is easier to customize.
So in the end I wasn't deleting any configs, just removed some Gnome/Cinnamon-related packages and installed all I found that was LMDE Xfce related. And alt+f2 works just fine here. :-)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'm glad you found in xfce a worthy alternative :D
frankob wrote:no easy way to make the "taskbar" show windows from all workspaces
i dunno if this is applicable to 1.4 (didn't used it that much) but in 1.6.x this problem is solved
howto upgrade to 1.6
and this applet http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/98 does the same with some extra features

anyhow, glad xfce is doing great :wink:
frankob

Post by frankob »

hmm... It is possible I have overlooked that kind of applet, as I was looking for something integrated in some kind of taskbar itself, and didn't even think of an applet with a separate list. But I am happy with Xfce for now. :-) Thank you for the info, anyway. I could be giving Cinnamon another chance in the future, who knows. :-)

Return to “LMDE Archive”