Request to base LMDE on Debian stable next!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

Should LMDE be based on the next Debian stable (7 Wheezy) from next year?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 42

killer de bug

Re: Request to base LMDE on Debian stable next!

Post by killer de bug »

MALsPa wrote: I use Chrome in Debian Stable, so that isn't an issue. .
Please don't be too proud of it :wink:
saad1gamer wrote: It does not take 10 seconds to base LMDE on Debian stable. It takes a lot of time as well as the process is very complicated and difficult.
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/497
If changing the source.list is long and difficult, then you shouldn't be using LMDE because the debian based version is for experienced users only.

In your link only step 1 & 2 are required to get a debian stable version. After that it's not specific to this version of LMDE. So now that you have the answers it should take only 5 seconds.

Still waiting some good reasons to have an iso for a debian stable version... :mrgreen:
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

i dont know why lmde goes to debian-stable? thats not good enough :) its a Semi-rolling distro so it must rolling sometimes? what a good thing is to Make a Community Backports for lmde, to vote
for popular package to port it to backport, you can with that have fresh version, meaning you doesnt always update monthly, cycle of 4 5 month would then be enough because you update the cimmunity backports! develop a Minttestbox like virtualbox to test new lmde packages in realtime, not like vbox afterall its not so real time my opinion.

But backport is good! i have my lmde pointing too testing/sid.... My opinion still semi or not a rolling distro needs to roll sometimes in a month... not freezing then 1 one time 1.1gb update spread minimall in that 4 month or 5...with minttestbox is to have more community testing in Realtime when a break comes would automated log to Mint base!

then would made lmde stable enough :)

like manjaro xfce, it does update weekly it import from arch repository, with a week delay you get your updates and the repository, Snapshot difference a week..on my Pc it driven quite stable.., to Snapshot the Debian Testing and community testing would bring updates faster and stable...

when you do lmde to wheezy to stable, then isnt a rolling anymore :)
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

monkeyboy wrote:Perhaps it would be better for the users to step up and do such a project on their own. Users helping users control their own systems is a treasured part of the Linux heritage. Enjoy
This is your answer, right here. There is already a user-initiated LMDE KDE distro, why not a user-initiated LMDE Stable distro? I don't know anything about building ISOs or that type of thing, but for those who do, it should be a fairly straightforward process I would think.

The machine I'm on right now is a LMDE UP5 MATE installation running on Wheezy repos, along with the Mint repo and preferences file in place. It's essentially LMDE running on the next stable release. Runs very fine with no problems, and seems a couple of things even work better than in current UP5.
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

lmde is for me stable, why a stable release? i have pointing my lmde to testing/sid... i love updates :) not wait for a while :) mayby there mus be a sort of Mint testbox like vbox but load in the start with grub, for a minimal envirement a own vbox fork but it shown your hardware on realtime not vbox hardware to support more mint testing community to bring more stable updates to LMDE you can even think about pointing to Sid.., but after testing but updated to stable release, when a break comes in testing automated a log message to the mint server?

it al about the testing to make thinks stable and more rolling in LMDE !
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

If you agree with the fact that we don't need a stable iso version, then why did you resurrected this threat ? :?
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

just bring Lmde back in picture :) sorry is typical me :) i have pointing too sid now..... :)

sorry :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”