I get problems when I log on...don't know why!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Music Guy123

I get problems when I log on...don't know why!

Post by Music Guy123 »

Hi there,

I have just installed LMDE XFCE 32bit. I spent a downloading the iso, another day installing the thing (had hardware and grub problems!) and then spent the whole of yesterday downloading and installing the update package! So finally I got to play this morning, and I don't know what I've done (I haven't done anything in particular but logging on has changed suddenly. Normally I log on and my desktop looks like this (ignore the screen capture window!):
1.png
When I log in now, my desktop looks like that for about 1 second before it flashes and then it looks like this (including the file manager which instantly loads up):
2.png
I wonder whether it is a mounting issue? I have two partitions on my 80GB HDD. The PC is a Dell Optiplex 320. Intel Pentium D 925 3.0GHz, 512mb RAM (@ 200mhz I think). Anyway, Why does it now do that, can anyone please help me?

All the best, hope someone can help.

Music Guy

P.S. My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
squeezy

Re: I get problems when I log on...don't know why!

Post by squeezy »

That's a pretty common issue on the Xfce upgrade to UP5. Nautilus has been installed (along with a lot of other GNOME stuff) and has taken over managing your desktop. If it were me, I'd just go ahead and purge Nautilus, but I think you can restore order by making sure Thunar is listed as the default file manager in Preferred Applications setting.
Music Guy123

Post by Music Guy123 »

Ok, well, you are telling me Thunar is better than Nautilus right? If this is true, and thunar is faster, I'm more than happy to purge nautilus. Tbh, I'm not to fussed which file manager I use! I'll give it a google but how do you suggest I remove nautilus?

Thank you very much for the help, very much appreciated! Is there anyway I can thank you, do you have a reputation/thumbs up/kudos system on these forums?

Thanks again, all the best,

Music

Edit: decided to destroy nautilus :) ! I am currently running apt remove nautilus is that alright?
Music Guy123

Post by Music Guy123 »

Bingo, all sorted!! Thank you ever so much!

Now, next problem! How to view files being shared on a windows computer. Ok, so LMDE is running on an old desktop. Next to it I have my laptop which runs a mixture of Windows 7, Ubuntu which will soon be changed to cinnamon :) ! Anyway, I'm running windows at the moment, so we'll deal with that! The laptop is feeding the desktop internet as the desktop doesn't have a wifi card and the router is somewhere else! So wifi goes into the laptop and gets passed via ethernet to the desktop. So, how can I view the files stored on the laptop from the desktop. I managed to do this on linux mint 13 maya XFCE. I set the files on the laptop to sharing locally. I then went into a file manager and just went to network and could get the files. However, in LMDE XFCE, these files do not seem to show up in Network. My laptop shows up, I can go into it but I can't see the shared files. I'll log into to normal mint again to check but it was working fine before!

I hope that makes sense and I decided not to make a new thread but if you think I should, let me know and I'll do so! Thanks very much again.

Music Guy

This is what I mean, in normal Linux mint XFCE when I click network and then my laptop, I get this:
maya.png
However, in LMDE, I only get this:
LMDE.png
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Music Guy123 wrote:Ok, well, you are telling me Thunar is better than Nautilus right? If this is true, and thunar is faster, I'm more than happy to purge nautilus.
Tbh, I'm not to fussed which file manager I use! I'll give it a google but how do you suggest I remove nautilus?

Edit: decided to destroy nautilus :) ! I am currently running apt remove nautilus is that alright?
Glad you got it squared away!

apt remove will work, I prefer apt purge myself, it gets rid of the application's system configuration files. It won't remove config files located in your home directory though.

I wouldn't say whether Thunar is better than Nautilus, that's a personal preference. Thunar is designed to work in the Xfce environment though, and is the default file manager for Xfce. I like using apps that are as native to the DE as possible.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Music Guy123 wrote:I hope that makes sense and I decided not to make a new thread but if you think I should, let me know and I'll do so! Thanks very much again.
Sorry I can't help you with your networking problem. I have a pretty simple home network and I've always got it working easily. altair4 is the go-to samba guy here. It would probably be best to create a new thread with a more descriptive title for this issue and he might see it and respond.
Music Guy123

Post by Music Guy123 »

It's fine, thank you for all your help, I'll start a new thread!

Return to “LMDE Archive”