Num Lock on startup <SOLVED>

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gimme4

Num Lock on startup <SOLVED>

Post by gimme4 »

Hi everyone, I'm not sure this post is in the right place but I'm sure that it will be moved if it isn't.
I am running mint 13 mate with compiz, My problem is that when i boot my laptop up the num lock light comes on ( enabled in bios ), but as soon as mint gets hold of the system the light goes off, My login password is all numbers and it is so much easier to use the number pad, is there any way to get the num lock to be enabled so that I can enter my password easily, please remember that I am a NOOB so step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Many Thanks..
Last edited by gimme4 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Num Lock on startup

Post by remoulder »

In a terminal

Code: Select all

apt install numlockx
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

That's a well known problem !

First you need to install "numlockx" using synaptic.

Then open a terminal & type :

gksudo gedit /etc/mdm/Init/Default
after typing your password, a file will be opened in Gedit. Add these lines at the beginning of the file.

if [ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ]; then
exec /usr/bin/numlockx on
fi
Edit : add these lines after the commented lines at the beginning of the file (the ones starting with #)
gimme4

Re: Num Lock on startup <SOLVED>

Post by gimme4 »

Thank you very much guys, that worked a treat, the only problem was that Gedit was not my default editor for some reason, I had to install Gedit but after that all worked well, I have marked the post as solved, again many, many thanks..
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Outchhhhh ! My mistake ! I didn't realize that you were using MATE. Sorry for that.

You could have replaced gedit by pluma in the command line and that would have work like a charm. Sorry for that. You can uninstall gedit now :wink:

sudo apt-get remove gedit
sudo apt-get autoremove

The last command will remove all the gnome stuff that you don't need and that could have been installed with gedit. :wink:
rosenhof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rosenhof »

Hi

I had the same problem as gimme4 and it seems that this is a common issue.
I have fixed this issue on Fedora17 in the past but didn't make any notes of it so I goggled to this tread

I'm just installed LinuxMint 13 Maya / Cinnamon 64-bit with updates for the back ported issues and things are starting to look nice but then I have the num lock issue before logging in.
- Added numlockx with Synaptic
- Edited the Default as killer de bug suggests, no problem

On reboot the Num Lock key lit up and I can enter the login credentials containing numbers without the need to enable Num Lock every time
BUT immediate when I have logged in it is turned off

I'd like to keep it always on since it's a keyboard with separate numerical keypad.
Any ideas?
rosenhof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rosenhof »

Hi

The strange behaviour that turned off Num Lock immediate after login occurred once, the first time after I applied this (on reboot) but later on during the night it worked perfect so I guess that it was some hiccup the first time and it's not an issue any more.

Thanks for the tips!
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

This post helped me ... I was successful in getting numlockx installed in Mint 8 but I couldn't do it through the Synaptic package manager because all of the repositories are long since dead ...

I won't go into the gory details of how I found everything, but here was the solution:

From: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu ... /numlockx/
I downloaded: numlockx_1.1-10build1_i386.deb to my USB thumb drive at /media/artwork/linux/general
"artwork" is the label of my Thumbdrive, and /linux/general is the path to my working folder.

From a Terminal session:
mint@mint ~ $ sudo -i
mint ~ # dpkg -i /media/artwork/linux/general/numlockx_1.1-10_i386.deb

This installed numlockx thus enabling the on, off, and toggle options for the numlockx command!

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle, PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
Jordi Sayol

Post by Jordi Sayol »

killer de bug wrote:...

fi
Is there a reason to use the "exec" command on script?

This command exits the script immediately after run "/usr/bin/numlockx on". So, if "/usr/bin/numlockx" exist, nothing else will be executed.
stilloving

Post by stilloving »

This method enable numlock during login and after login, so you have the numlock always ON in your LINUX MINT and LMDE

1) FIRST, install numlockx : sudo apt-get install numlockx

2) SECOND, go to menu and type startup application and opent it.

3) Click on +add

4) On "Name" put NUMLOCK ON

5) On "Command" put /usr/bin/numlockx on

6) Click on "+add" and "close" .

7) Go to /etc/mdm/Init/ and edit Default

8) Add before exit 0 these lines:

fi

Just restart your computer and next time you turn on it you have Numlock On always.

Stilloving from Argentina, Buenos Aires
Blackout STi

Post by Blackout STi »

stilloving wrote:This method enable numlock during login and after login, so you have the numlock always ON in your LINUX MINT and LMDE

1) FIRST, install numlockx : sudo apt-get install numlockx

2) SECOND, go to menu and type startup application and opent it.

3) Click on +add

4) On "Name" put NUMLOCK ON

5) On "Command" put /usr/bin/numlockx on

6) Click on "+add" and "close" .

7) Go to /etc/mdm/Init/ and edit Default

8) Add before exit 0 these lines:

fi

Just restart your computer and next time you turn on it you have Numlock On always.

Stilloving from Argentina, Buenos Aires
This worked for me. Thanks!
jmwoloso

Post by jmwoloso »

killer de bug wrote:That's a well known problem !

First you need to install "numlockx" using synaptic.

Then open a terminal & type :

gksudo gedit /etc/mdm/Init/Default
after typing your password, a file will be opened in Gedit. Add these lines at the beginning of the file.

fi
Edit : add these lines after the commented lines at the beginning of the file (the ones starting with #)

Thank you! This worked perfectly.
Dyslexic1

Post by Dyslexic1 »

@killer de bug Thanks you.

I tried adding a startup and spent day clicking about trying to work out myself with out looking up. Thought a driver thing.
Now fixed
DennisW

Post by DennisW »

I solved it the easy way: System Settings/Keyboard - System Settings/Keyboard Settings/Advanced/Miscellaneous compatibility options/Numeric keypad keys always enter digits (as in Mac OS)
I don't know if this works also for password input at the login, but it should.
sage632
Level 1
Level 1

Num Lock on startup

Post by sage632 »

Hi all,

running linux mint 20 ulyana (mate).

How can I enable numlock on the mint login screen and also the decryption prompt?

i tried following some of the solutions from this topic but they all fail when i get to the text editor portion.

thanx in advance.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

@sage632 - Why are you posting a question to a 5 year-old thread? Please start a thread of your own.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi sage632,
can you redo your request again, in an New Topic,
and also tell us, something about your machine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Installation & Boot”