blank window appears in eclipse

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tech_cheetah

blank window appears in eclipse

Post by tech_cheetah »

When I am opening svn commit window in eclipse, there is a blank window popup which blocks the view and remains there till I restart cinnamon or shut down eclipse.
Is this a bug in eclipse or cinnamon ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hojay

Re: blank window appears in eclipse

Post by hojay »

I get the same problem, which is remedied by a Cinnamon restart (Alt-F2 , type r, enter). Ive seen it occasionally with other programs, but most often with eclipse.
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

I just reinstalled Mint about a week ago and ran into the same problem with eclipse. It seems like it happens when eclipse is displaying a status popup (perhaps with a progress bar?) and it finishes before it even had a chance to paint it. Perhaps it's something to do with compiz effects? No idea. Just wild guesses. My dad mentioned the alt-f2, r work around but it would be nice if there was something more permanent. Sometimes it happens several times in a row and it gets annoying to reset each time.

At first I thought it might be a graphics card issue as I was getting some mild pixel noise during bootup (right before the login screen) but installing the nvidia proprietary drivers solved that. Unfortunately it didn't matter for eclipse.

Anyone else have any luck isolating the problem?
teatime

Post by teatime »

I have this problem too but I'm using i5 laptop with integrated GPU (Sandybridge, intel xorg driver) and it happens if I press/click to fast in eclipse or thunderbird. Later I checked my workstation with Ubuntu 12.04.1 and this behaviour do not occur under Unity so it seems to be problem with Cinnamon. However if I close the application and reopen it everything is fine - not restarting Cinnamon via the key sequence.
dgrant

Post by dgrant »

I have this problem as well. So annoying.
Riko

Post by Riko »

Hi all,

there seem to be a few posts related to this issue, e.g.

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=113446
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=103320

I'm suffering from that feature, too. I work a lot with VMware in unity mode and windows applications running under wine/cxoffice. Pop-ups and tooltips often leave behind those described artifacts on the desktop. I had the problem under Cinnamon 1.4 and hoped to get it fixed with 1.6. However in 1.6.1 it still exists. I have gnome-shell and unity installed in parallel and neither show the described effect.
This is runninr Mint13 on a Dell Lat E6230 with an Ivybridge integrated graphics card.

These artifacts render Cinnamon rather unusable (pity!) for me at the moment since having to restart via ALT-F2 "r" frequently is annoying and a disturbing interruption of me work.

Please let me know if I can provide any information or test to help getting the issue solved.

Cheers,
Riko
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

This issue stopped for me with the upgrade to 1.6.1. It's a bit disappointing to hear it still surfaces. I only saw it with Google Earth though.
jberk

Post by jberk »

happens to me too....my first venture into Mint as a replacement for Unity. VERY ANNOYING. just curious, but are all the others using a SSD? I noticed massive speed increases in eclipse using a SSD and I'm wondering if it isn't a race condition as a different posted suggested....

the search for a decent desktop continues.....
Riko

Post by Riko »

nope, no SSD here. Regular HD with 7200rpm.

- Riko
jberk

Post by jberk »

I'm on 64 bit mint 13 w/ cinnamon

is this happening to others on x32 cinnamon?

can anybody confirm if this happens on MATE x32 or x64?

thanks!
boyoboyo

Post by boyoboyo »

x64 Cinnamon w/ ATI Radeon HD 4xxx. Happens to me too on Eclipse (Indigo).
After ending up with Gnome3 (don't ask, lol) I can report there issue has resolved.
uda

Post by uda »

Hi, had the same issue.
after upgrading to linux mint 14 it is gone.

I had it on 3 computers (2 desktop w/ 64bit 1 laptop w/ 32bit) all with cinnamon.
ErnstZweifel

Post by ErnstZweifel »

This is a Cinnamon bug: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/340
On the issue discussion the workaround is to deactivate the desktop effects. This worked for me.

Return to “Cinnamon”