SOLVED Mint installation hangs part way through

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mouse2282

SOLVED Mint installation hangs part way through

Post by mouse2282 »

May I start by saying mint looks great and I am soory to find problems with it.
I have an 800Mhz P3, 1Gb memory, 40Gb hard. This runs win xp and Debian linux ok.
I downloaded the" mint 13 cinnamon 32bit live cd iso" and burnt it, from cd runs fine, like it so much I want to install it as the os ( I dont mess with multi os booting)
I selected the "install mint" from the desktop , all went well, I opted to reformat the entire drive and give it all to mint, i selected ext4 format ? was this correct? it formated hd and started copying files while I entered user,password etc, all ok, then it offered a slide show, this is where after a few seconds the computer hangs. I have done this 3 times same result each time. when i reboot the pc there seems to be no evidence of an install and the live cd runs fine, it also says it is in "live mode"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Mint installation hangs part way through

Post by caribriz »

Hello mouse2282 - welcome to the Linux Mint forums :)

The slideshow has been known to cause some problems during the installation process.

Try booting with your live cd and before you click the Install icon -

Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint
When it's finished, exit the terminal, then click the Install icon.
Hopefully, the install will continue to completion.

caribriz
mouse2282

Re: SOLVED Mint installation hangs part way through

Post by mouse2282 »

Thankyou Caribriz, I am answering this on a fully installed mint13
when I entered code: select all the terminal told me code command did not exist ??
so I gave up and entered the sudo remove command, this did all I expected it to thankyou for your help
caribriz

Re: SOLVED Mint installation hangs part way through

Post by caribriz »

Glad to hear you got it installed :)
mouse2282 wrote:when I entered code: select all the terminal told me code command did not exist ??
Yes, just for future reference - if you see a "code: select all" box on the forums, you would just type (or copy/paste) the command inside the box
(the green text) into the terminal.

Hope you enjoy Linux Mint :)

caribriz

Return to “Installation & Boot”