KDE show virtual keyboard on the login screen

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lxusr1997

KDE show virtual keyboard on the login screen

Post by lxusr1997 »

I would like a friend of mine to use the KDE version of Mint 13. The only problem I have so far is that I cannot find how to activate a virtual keyboard on the login screen. My friend can only move the mouse therefore he would have to engage someone to type his pw on the actual keyboard every time he logs in his machine.

Any assistance on this would grately be appreciated.

Thanks

Fotis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jaws

Re: KDE show virtual keyboard on the login screen

Post by Jaws »

Sorry, can't help with the virtual keyboard.

But an option would be to enable auto-login. It would be in > system settings > login screen. Under the Convenience tab, check mark Enable Auto-Login and select the user. You'll basically be able to bypass the login screen this way.
lxusr1997

Post by lxusr1997 »

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with an alternative.
Unfortunately, I will never compromise the security of a PC by leaving it "naked" so to speak. I would like to stress the importance of having a good password which could prove a deterant
I have just come back to KDE after KDE dropped 3 and started on the more advanced 4. Finally after all these years that I have been using gnome I cannot believe that KDE has not got a way to engage a virtual keyboard. I really like KDE and I hope someone has a workout for engaging a virtual DT on the login screen.
J_C

Post by J_C »

Perhaps changing the login screen from KDM to Light DM in system settings will allow for an on screen keyboard? (I can't check, not on my machine right now).

If not then perhaps even installing GDM (the Gnome login screen)?..... though I would investigate whether that's possible first, I personally can't see why not, but maybe someone cleverer will come along and laugh at the idea!! :lol:
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

lxusr1997 wrote:Thank you for taking the time to provide me with an alternative.
Unfortunately, I will never compromise the security of a PC by leaving it "naked" so to speak. I would like to stress the importance of having a good password which could prove a deterant
I have just come back to KDE after KDE dropped 3 and started on the more advanced 4. Finally after all these years that I have been using gnome I cannot believe that KDE has not got a way to engage a virtual keyboard. I really like KDE and I hope someone has a workout for engaging a virtual DT on the login screen.
Using auto-login and not having a password are two different things. I've been using auto-login forever and have a 10 digit password and never compromised my machine. Any administrative management on my part always requires me typing in the password, except for the logging in part.

If you have more than one person that you don't want to login locally, that would be a concern, but since only me and my wife have access to our home computer it's not a problem. Auto-login will not have any effect as far trying to remote access the computer.

Good luck in your quest, hope someone comes up with an answer for a virtual keyboard.
lxusr1997

Post by lxusr1997 »

J_C wrote:Perhaps changing the login screen from KDM to Light DM in system settings will allow for an on screen keyboard? (I can't check, not on my machine right now).

If not then perhaps even installing GDM (the Gnome login screen)?..... though I would investigate whether that's possible first, I personally can't see why not, but maybe someone cleverer will come along and laugh at the idea!! :lol:
Thanks for the thought, sounds a good idea to try either the Light DM or the GDM. Will give it a go on a VM.
lxusr1997

Post by lxusr1997 »

Jaws wrote:
lxusr1997 wrote:Thank you for taking the time to provide me with an alternative.
Using auto-login and not having a password are two different things. I've been using auto-login forever and have a 10 digit password and never compromised my machine. Any administrative management on my part always requires me typing in the password, except for the logging in part.

If you have more than one person that you don't want to login locally, that would be a concern, but since only me and my wife have access to our home computer it's not a problem. Auto-login will not have any effect as far trying to remote access the computer.

Good luck in your quest, hope someone comes up with an answer for a virtual keyboard.
Valid point, excellent, thanks for mentioning that.

Return to “Software & Applications”