Greetings from western North Carolina, USA

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TuxSurfer

Greetings from western North Carolina, USA

Post by TuxSurfer »

Hello everyone! Greetings from the beautiful Applachian mountains of western North Carolina, USA. :D

I've recently, switched to Linux Mint Maya "Cinnamon" from Ubuntu and Apple OSX. I absolutely love Mint! I was a bit disgruntled with the direction most Linux distros seemed to be heading. I never could warm up to Unity or GNOME 3 and I did not like how difficult it was becoming to customize my own desktop the way that worked best for me. Also, these restrictions are very reminiscent of Apple's walled garden which I was quickly getting tired of, until I discovered Mint and Cinnamon. I absolutely love it and it has renewed my excitement for Linux! So much so that I have replaced OSX entirely and Linux Mint is the only OS on my Macbook.

I am eager to learn and eager to help others learn whenever I can. Excited to be a part of this great community!

Kind regards,
TuxSurfer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Greetings from western North Carolina, USA

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Welcome! Always nice to have new converts :)
Be sure to check out ALL desktop environments and not just Cinnamon and MATE. You'll never know what you might like. (I settled on KDE after Gnome2 went extinct... :x )

Here's a list of some of the other popular desktop environments:
KDE (K Desktop Environment--looks really awesome, customizable, but you need a capable video card)
Xfce (some say it stands for "X freakin' cool environment," but it's up to you--looks like Windows 2000, but is highly customizable to look like Gnome2 <--which is extinct :cry: )
LXDE (looks like Windows 98--the lightest desktop environment around--but can be made to look close to Xfce)

There's also window managers like Openbox and Fluxbox, they look really minimal, but they are also highly configurable to look damn good :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi TuxSurfer, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
TuxSurfer

Post by TuxSurfer »

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome! :D
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Welcome TuxSurfer to the Mint family.
Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
jesica

Post by jesica »

Hallo!

Goo day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums.

Hope you have a fab times, :mrgreen:

Regards.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”