Hello Linux Mint Community :) (recent Ubuntu 12.10 convert)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tuxwx

Hello Linux Mint Community :) (recent Ubuntu 12.10 convert)

Post by tuxwx »

Hello all,

My name is Justin and I'm a meteorologist and programmer living in Oklahoma and I must say, I'm definitely happy with my decision to install Linux Mint. I needed a new laptop (I'm just out of college) and I ordered a PC from System76. I've been an active Ubuntu user for about 2 years and I wanted a Linux PC so that I would avoid the horrors of Windows 8. So I ordered a Pangolin Performance and all went well for a while, until Ubuntu 12.10 (I don't know why System didn't keep using the LTS) started having strange GUI problems. Every other day or so my keyboard would just stop responding to Unity. Frustrated, I also tried Cinnamon on top of Ubuntu, and still the same result. Plus some Cinnamon features were unstable since I don't think the repo for Ubuntu is as actively coded as it should be.

So today, I decided to torrent the Linux Mint 13 ISO and test it out. Everything appeared to work on my LiveDVD session so I wiped out my Ubuntu install and put in Maya. And after this, I really feel that Mint 13 is probably the best Linux distribution out there these days. Not only was it the easiest install of Linux I've ever done but also the easiest install for any OS I've ever come across. I've even noted some performance increases over Ubuntu (no strange overheating, no keyboard nonsense) and also substantial usability improvements (i.e. no Gnome keyring prompts). I mean I am professional programmer but I would easily recommend Linux Mint to anyone who uses a PC. Don't even worry about the partitions, just nuke the drive and put Linux Mint on it in my view :P Great work hopefully I will contribute something to this community, because they've created a *home run* Linux distro :)

Have a nice day!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: Hello Linux Mint Community :) (recent Ubuntu 12.10 conve

Post by cwwgateway »

Welcome to the Mint Community :) . I'm glad Mint worked so well for you - I agree that LTS releases, especially recently, are much better than the standard releases. I'm glad System76 is getting some business - I would buy one but I still need Windows for school :( .
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

Hallo!

Goo day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums.

Hope you have a fab times, :mrgreen:

Regards.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”