Returning to mint..

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aggro rabbit

Returning to mint..

Post by aggro rabbit »

Hi folks :D

I was actually a member here 2-3 years ago, but then I went away to explore other distros. The main thing that brought me back to mint is the fantastic Xfce edition. Both my computers are getting on a bit now (hp pavillion amdx2, late 2006 imac) and mint xfce is really a pleasure to use on both of them. Anyway, that's me :) Look forward to chatting with you!

Martin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Returning to mint..

Post by exploder »

Nice to have you back! A lot of us move around with different distros, there are so many nice variations out there now. I had some serious issues with my sight this year and have been using Unity because it is easier to see with it's default theme. I see more and more people enjoying using Xfce and am sure glad Mint builds the Xfce editions so people get a great out of the box experience with it. Anyway, glad you chose Mint and are enjoying it. :D
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I agree. Mint 13 Xfce is the best.
Right now I'm running the regular Mint 13 Xfce and LMDE Xfce - they boot in the same time and seem the same, but Mint 13 is easier.

Besides older Redhats and ubuntus, recently I've fooled with the below distros and Mint 13 Xfce wins:
- Ubuntu - got weird and kinda unreliable with 12.
- Arch - fast, light, everything's much harder than with anything else (including compiling kernels). It's the only one that boots fast*.
- Fedora - not bad, uses systemd, yumex package manager sucks.
- Debian - can be light, good installer, wine=big hassles, seems a bit kludgy(?).
- Mint LMDE Xfce - about like M13 Xfce; posting from it right now. Like Debian, it seems to have older software versions them M13.
*Arch will boot into fluxbox in 13 seconds; all these other distros take 20-25 seconds.
FWIW, removing "readahead" from Mint 13 made it boot 5 seconds faster...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
aggro rabbit

Post by aggro rabbit »

Pleased to meet you exploder and Flemur :) Yep, ¨weird and kinda unreliable¨ pretty much sums up my experiences with ubuntu too, although it´s good to hear that unity at least has made exploder´s life a bit easier. I know a lot of people have grown to like it, but to me it still just doesn´t quite work. I agree too with arch being hard to use - last time I tried it I must have spent hours configuring my system and still couldn´t get it working! :lol: I make no claims to being a linux expert though. I´m a casual home user with just enough knowledge to do what I want to.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Hallo!

Goo day and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums.

Hope you have a fab times, :mrgreen:

Regards.
aggro rabbit

Post by aggro rabbit »

Hi! and thank you jesica :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”