Newbie can't set up an internet connection

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Raven81

Newbie can't set up an internet connection

Post by Raven81 »

Hi every one, this is my first post on this forum... I'm a linux and forum noob!

I've just installed this linux distro: Linux Mint "Debian" - 201204 Xfce 64-bit.

Now I'm not able to set up an internet connection and I have no idea of what to do.

Any hint please? :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Newbie can't set up an internet connection

Post by Emegra »

Hi Raven
I think you will need to be more specific about your problem ie what's actually happening when you try to connect, what kind of setup you have , are you trying to connect through a wireless router or ethernet etc then hopefully someone more knowledgable than me can help you

Good luck

Graeme
Raven81

Post by Raven81 »

Basically I'm looking for a step-by-step on-line guide.

I'm trying to set up a wi fi connection. I just can't find WHERE to configure it. The path: system>setings>network doesn't lead me to anything I could use.
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Emegra »

Hi Raven
I'm really not the right one to help you I,m no where near the most qualified here, but I have set up a wifi myself so until someone more qualified jumps on board I'll try my best.

Assuming you have a wireless router set up connecting should be a simple matter, if you click on the wireless icon on the panel, your network should be listed double click the network you want to connect to (your network) and you should be prompted for you network key, type in the key then a message should pop up on the screen saying "connection established" and you're good to go, hopefully this will help

Good luck
Graeme
Raven81

Post by Raven81 »

Here I am after some studying! :D

Basically, I have this problem: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3145 : "Linux Mint 13 Maya does not even see the wireless network. It says "FIRMWARE MISSING!!""

I found the BCM4321 divers I need (altough they are not specific for my distro - Linux Mint "Debian" - 201204 Xfce 64-bit - they are for Ubuntu... don't know if they could work the same..)

I installed them, but then nothing changed. Also, when I go to system>settings>network, I don't find the "wireless icon". :-/

(I have other perfectly working devices connected to the same modem, so I assume it works)

Any suggestion? Sorry for my noobness! :(

[thanks Emegra for your answer]
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Emegra »

Hi Raven

No need to apologise for "noobness" (I hate that word don't you) I'm kinda new to all this myself so I'm a little bit out of my depth here, but it seems to me the answer to your problem is in the link you posted, did you try connecting via ethernet and downloading the driver from the Mint repo ?, that way you'd be sure you have the right driver, I remember reading something about Broadcom drivers being a problem when I installed Mint 13 but it didn't affect me as I fortunately dont have a Broadcom chipset, Like I said in my last post to you I'm probably not the right person to help you here, I hoped this was something simple you were overlooking, but it looks like being a little more complicated and any further help from me would likely lead you to screwing things up worse than they already are, I'm sure this is quite fixable so hopefully someone better qualified will jump on board and help you out.

Good luck
Graeme
Raven81

Post by Raven81 »

I tried to connct via ethernet, but the pc wasn't be able to see the connction.
Emegra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Emegra »

Hi Raven

I'm really struggling with this, but firstly do you have any other devices connected to your router and if so are they working ? if not it might be a good idea to reboot your router and try again, also you should have a network icon on your panel if you have open it up and make sure wired and wireless connections are switched on, failing that I don't know what to do we really need someone more knowledgable to help us.

Graeme
Raven81

Post by Raven81 »

I have other devices connected to the same router and they all work - via ethernet and wifi both.

I tried to reboot my router, but nothing changed.
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

open a terminal window and type sudo ifconfig, give it your password and post back the info here, this will tell you what LMDE see for your adapter and ip address if any.

Return to “LMDE Archive”