Deploying Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ZeonOtaku

Deploying Linux

Post by ZeonOtaku »

I am pretty familiar with the process of deploying a Windows machine via FOG (http://fogproject.org/), (specifically Windows 7) - how sysprep works, resets the computer ID, hostname, etc, etc. I wouldn't declare myself an expert as I'm more than certain I have more to learn, but at least I've got a working gist of the situation, emphesis on working.

So my question is this. What is the alternative to this on a Linux distribution?

P.S. I searched for "sysprep" on the forum, and found a similar but unanswered question under hardware.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigSteve_G

Re: Deploying Linux

Post by BigSteve_G »

Hi,

If what your after is something where the end user can enter their own name & password, this should be of use;

Here’s how:
Install Linux Mint on a system using your desired version of the Gnome or KDE release.
When prompted for a username, use “oem” (without quotes). This will be your temporary account for configuring the system before sending it off.
Your computer name may be anything. When the user starts up the system for the first time they will be greeted with the same screen.
When the installation is complete, you’ll need to install 2 packages. The first one would be oem-config, and the second one would be oem-config-gtk (for Gnome), or oem-config-kde (for KDE).
When done configuring the system (installing drives/software), open a terminal and type sudo oem-config-prepare
When the computer starts up again the oem user will be removed and the system will ask for user information.

(Taken from http://www.ircsystems.net/blog/2012/03/30/mint-oem/ )

-Hope it helps
ZeonOtaku

Post by ZeonOtaku »

Thanks for the reply, I will have to give this a shot!
ZeonOtaku

Post by ZeonOtaku »

Followup Question:

From what I've read, Sysprepping Windows 7 from a Hardware-A-PC to Hardware-B-PC is somewhat tolerable. Perhaps not 100% perfect, but I haven't really tried it.

Now, how tolerable would Linux be through this oem-config-prepare be were I to config this in a virtual machine before deploying onto physical hardware? If not without installing the hardware drivers, then how does one actually install hardware drivers for devices that aren't actually installed? -- Though perhaps this may be getting ahead of myself at this stage in the game.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

ZeonOtaku wrote:Followup Question:
From what I've read, Sysprepping Windows 7 from a Hardware-A-PC to Hardware-B-PC is somewhat tolerable. Perhaps not 100% perfect, but I haven't really tried it.
If you're very, very lucky then it might be 'somewhat tolerable' with Windows but I've never managed it (suppose if machine A & B had identical mother board, PCI, on board controllers & CPU it should be ok)

Linux Mint (& all Live disc based distro's) works differently & can be transfered from PC to PC (if not live discs wouldnt work). A while back my sister-inlaw bought a new PC & wanted it the "same as her old one". Even though they were totaly different machines I just put the old hard drive in the new machine changed the master/slave jumpers, booted it up (no need to install any drivers, no warnings boxes, no problems) it just booted to her desktop (same settings & all) = Job done
ZeonOtaku

Post by ZeonOtaku »

Good to know about Live-disk-based distros. That's essentially what I wanted to know as I intend to make numerous identical clones (except for hostname) once I can get the install down to my target of 4-8GB, under 4GB would be ideal since I've found 4GB SSD SATA drives for less than $30. Thank you.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Under 4gig will be too small for a full install.

What you could do, although I doubt it would be pratical for a system install (day-to-day use) type thing - would be:

1st - use something like remastersys / mint constructor to build your own distro
2nd - connect that drive as a usb drive & use unetbootin to put the iso to the drive
- What youd then get is a live dvd type setup that runs from the hard drive.
- A fair bit of googleing & work would be needed.
ZeonOtaku

Post by ZeonOtaku »

BigSteve_G wrote:Under 4gig will be too small for a full install.
Well under 4gig (including swap partition, etc partitions) is my goal, though most likely it will end up being under 8gig (extra partitions included). Im hoping, however, that by pulling out the stuff I don't need and using an SSD HDD, that boot time will increase to ideal conditions.

Basically, I just need audio support (output/input) via TRS plugs, webcam support, and a GUI-based browser with flash support.

I would like a boot time from cold start to be less than 30seconds. Again, these are the IDEAL goals. Through actual development and experimentation, and then added hardware research, we will see. I know that under my testbed hardware (after coming to an ideal-sized distro) that just to get to where the BIOS boots from the HDD takes about 10-15 seconds. (When the PC turns on an Intel CPU logo pops up, etc etc). Again, however, all of this is pure experimentation.

Return to “Chat about Linux”