Will Mint 14 be based on Ubuntu 12.10?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webguy64

Will Mint 14 be based on Ubuntu 12.10?

Post by webguy64 »

I hope not because 12.10 is very buggy on my computer and doesn't work right with certain programs.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Will Mint 14 be based on Ubuntu 12.10?

Post by xenopeek »

What else would it be based on. So yes, Linux Mint 14 is based on Ubuntu 12.10. The default installation image may however have different versions of certain packages if that is known to improve stability. It also comes without Unity, and problems you had with Ubuntu 12.10 may perhaps have been with Unity instead of with the rest of Ubuntu 12.10?
webguy64

Post by webguy64 »

Doubt it, I ran Lubuntu 12.10 and that worked better, but still buggy. I just figured Mint would stick with what's stable (12.04)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 13 is based on Ubuntu 12.04, and you can continue to use that without worry till April 2017. So if you prefer 12.04 base, that is not a problem.
Brianrh

Post by Brianrh »

Hi Vincent

Is there an official "when it's ready date" for Mint 14 yet?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Novemberish :)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Ubuntu releases are often buggy for a little while after they're released. Usually after about a month they get stabler. I doubt Mint would release it if its very buggy.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Brianrh wrote:Is there an official "when it's ready date" for Mint 14 yet?
Chuckles at the irony. :lol:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Brianrh

Post by Brianrh »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
I wanted to be amusing but not hassling. The Linux Mint folk are often about a month behind Ubuntu in releasing a new version, but with 12.10 reportedly extra buggy I was wondering if we might have to wait a bit longer.

Like everyone else I will love it when I get it and know that it is the result of a lot of hard work. Thanks you guys.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Brianrh wrote:
Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
I wanted to be amusing but not hassling.
Don't worry, I didn't consider your question a hassle. Just amused at the irony of it. :wink:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

@webguy64 - You can pretty much stop comparing Linux Mint to Ubuntu when it comes to new releases as far as bugs go. One of the main reasons that Linux Mint has always been behind Ubuntu as far as a new release goes do to Mint's quality control plus the fact that they tend to retool any Ubuntu release to Mint's specifications. This, they've always done and even more extensively with the latest release (Maya).

These days, Mint is much farther removed from Ubuntu than before as far as the desktop environment is concerned. For Ubuntu, the "Unity" user interface (a Compiz plugin) and Compiz are the main cause of a lot of the bugs in 12.10. Mint uses neither of these so don't worry too much about Ubuntu 12.10 bugs hitting Linux Mint 14. Any "stragglers" will be squashed by the Mint developers. :wink:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
TemporarySanity

Post by TemporarySanity »

I'm surprised I haven't seen the Release Candidates for Nadia floating around. Whats with that?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

TemporarySanity wrote:I'm surprised I haven't seen the Release Candidates for Nadia floating around. Whats with that?
Nothing really unusual about that. The new versions of Mint (main edition) are typically released around a month after the latest Ubuntu release and the proposed RCs show up in the Testing section of the Mint Community website around a week or so before hand. If things follow the usual pattern we have some time yet before that happens. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I think the RC will be tested around the 8th and the RC will come out around the 12th. I'm just guessing though.
uhgreen

Post by uhgreen »

Or! Boycott anything Ubuntu and download LMDE. With the added benefit of not having to reinstall.

Like others have said, don't take the Ubuntu release as an indicator of what LM's release is going to be.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

uhgreen wrote:Or! Boycott anything Ubuntu and download LMDE. With the added benefit of not having to reinstall.

Like others have said, don't take the Ubuntu release as an indicator of what LM's release is going to be.
There is absolutely no reason to "boycott anything Ubuntu" or any other distro for that matter and Mint is certainly not in competition with itself. If you prefer one version over another that's fine but that is not the way to promote it.
uhgreen

Post by uhgreen »

kmb42vt wrote:
uhgreen wrote:Or! Boycott anything Ubuntu and download LMDE. With the added benefit of not having to reinstall.

There is absolutely no reason to "boycott anything Ubuntu" or any other distro for that matter and Mint is certainly not in competition with itself. If you prefer one version over another that's fine but that is not the way to promote it.
Really? I, personally, think there are reasons to boycott Ubuntu. You obviously don't. That's fine. Linux Mint is not in competition with itself, that's obvious, but I'm pretty sure that if a majority of Mint users downloaded and used the Debian editions that would send a message regarding Ubuntu.

But, you know, whatever a user wants to use, that's cool. I just don't like distro's developed by corporations. Especially ones that start adding Amazon searches or removing alpha and beta releases. Hence why I support Debian and Arch. To each their own.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

uhgreen wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:

Really? I, personally, think there are reasons to boycott Ubuntu. You obviously don't. That's fine. Linux Mint is not in competition with itself, that's obvious, but I'm pretty sure that if a majority of Mint users downloaded and used the Debian editions that would send a message regarding Ubuntu.

But, you know, whatever a user wants to use, that's cool. I just don't like distro's developed by corporations. Especially ones that start adding Amazon searches or removing alpha and beta releases. Hence why I support Debian and Arch. To each their own.
From what I understand, Linux Mint peels away the annoyances from Ubuntu and presents a more refined end product, so an end user gets the benefits with fewer of the downsides.

I haven't tried Debian or Arch yet because from what I have read, those distros require even more knowledge than ubuntu. As far as Linux Mint Debian goes, I wouldn't like to turn on my computer one day and find out that a rolling release broke something on the system and that I then had to do research to figure out what happened. I like the idea of Linux Mint being stable and I also like the long term release idea.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

OP's question has been answered, and this is turning into a different discussion.

Locked.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”