[SOLVED] Your thoughts on jumping from 9 to 13?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChinaJ

[SOLVED] Your thoughts on jumping from 9 to 13?

Post by ChinaJ »

I thought about posting this in the installation board, but figured since my question is strictly the Xfce version of Mint, this would be better (I'm sure a mod will move it if I my first instinct was correct :lol: ).

I'm currently a teacher at university in China. In the office that I use is an old (figure 10 years maybe?) desktop. It has 512MB of RAM and a nice Pentium 3 (I think) clocked at a bit over 2 GHz if memory serves me. The BIOS does not support booting from a USB, and there is only a CD-ROM installed. I was originally going to do the LXDE version, but seeing that Mint is going the Xfce route, no biggie. My purposes for putting Mint on this desktop are as follows:

1) To put a legal and legitimate OS on the computer rather than a "ghost" XP.
2) To not have to use XP. :P
3) To provide a computer for future teachers' use that is stable and easy to use without having to really know a lot about Linux.
4) To share the internet connection out to a wi-fi router so I can use my laptop in the office for my real work (why do I need to share the connection you ask? Because the IT department here is horrible. That, and they use an 802.1X security protocol that every wi-fi router I've tried can't seem to stay connected through. This is the only workable work-around I've found).

Number four is, I hope obviously, the main reason I want/need this computer up and running. With all that in mind (in particular the limitation on my installation media), I was going to install via CD Isadora and then upgrade to Maya, mainly for it being the current LTS (see point 3 above).

Questions:

1) Do I really need to use Maya, or will Isadora be sufficient (looking long-term here)?
2) I've seen over on the Community side of linuxmint.com Clem's tutorial on upgrading and the suggestion that using APT has a lot of cons against it but that it can be done. As I stated above, I have no way of doing a clean install of Maya due to no DVD drive and no booting from a USB key. Considering a fresh install of Isadora, what is my next step to get to Maya? Should I get all the updates for Isadora FIRST, and then point apt to Maya's repos? Or should I just jump straight to Maya (with no updates to Isadora)? Should I get rid of whatever is in Isadora that I don't need (app wise) and then upgrade?
3) Anything else I'm missing or need to think about?

Please feel free to link to where these questions may already have been answered. It's 11:30 at night right now, and my brain is fried, so maybe I missed the answers while forum diving.

Edit: I'm aware of Isadora still being supported till next April 2013, but I'm going to have to upgrade sooner or later... whether I do it now or in May, don't see it making much of a difference.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Your thoughts on jumping from 9 to 13?

Post by jjaythomas »

could install on other computer and start uninstalling apps (libre office?).
then
make a remastersys when fits on CD.
Install smaller Remastersys on computer with CD. Then if want back reinstall deleated apps. :wink:

Could also do something similier using 'clonezilla'

J.Jay
P.S. I do for tablet that has no CD/DVD (can you a USB pendrive or DVD player on this one tho) and use PartedMagic to clonezilla partition (becase easier working on my desktop) :lol: LMDEish also(don't have to worry about 'how upgrade again) :D
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

This may be coming in from left field, but there are work arounds to your problems. Once you get the Linux Mint installed to a thumb drive, you can use Plop Linux boot manager CD or a Super GRUB boot CD to find and boot from the Linux Mint (Live version) thumb drive and install from the Live desktop.
ChinaJ

Post by ChinaJ »

@jjay - Sounds possible... but a lot of work, considering how slow the internet is currently in China (since Synaptics seems to want to check repos every time you want to uninstall something), and how would it transfer as far as the hardware is concerned? Would the copy automagically work and pick up the difference in the hardware? Or would it freak out on me?

@cwsnyder - Interesting. So these would work even though the USB drives are unbootable? Are they pretty easy to use?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

When I used Plop boot manager, it just brought up a numbered list of devices with operating systems.

SuperGRUB would first bring up an option to 'automagically' find operating systems, and when that was selected, would bring up a GRUB menu listing operating systems available.
everready

Post by everready »

I was unable to install Linux because the CD ROM on this machine wasn't working, then i found out about the Virtual Clone Drive but that was for Windows, it appears you have a similar situation only your running Linux. After diving around the different forums i found this, its called a CDEmu. :)

http://cdemu.sourceforge.net/

hope it helps..
everready
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

@jjay - Sounds possible... but a lot of work, considering how slow the internet is currently in China (since Synaptics seems to want to check repos every time you want to uninstall something), and how would it transfer as far as the hardware is concerned? Would the copy automagically work and pick up the difference in the hardware? Or would it freak out on me?
Not really. Takes a little time thou. :wink: Most hardware drivers are in the kernel.
The main thing (with clonzilla) are
1. make sure ,Cloned' partions are =>size than the partitions where being copied. (Mine are a 8GB root and a 24GBhome image/clone).no nedd to clone swap ect
2. make sure no proprietary drivers are installed in clone (mostly ATI or Nvidia).
**note clonezilla will also see partion (root one) as bootable and install a Grub for you (asks if want)**

I use 'Parted Magic' since has both 'clonzilla' & gparted (to set up partitions (need swap) with other useful stuff that fits on a CD (I use a USB pendrive thou)
The first Boot takes longer (and will auto config to new hardware mostly). And might need to uninstall/reinstall some stuff (making sure configs and 'dot' files are gone.

P.S. I have a 'LMDE' 64bit install done this way (install once (image on USB) and reinstalled on 3 different computers. Also a 32bit install for a ancient tablet I use as a 'Mobile' liveUSB usage. Also installed to nieces 32 bit broken MSWindows 32 bit computer thatshe gave to her kids. (can't seduce her to 'linux, she went and bought new laptop with MSWindows after I Saved her picture/taxes/document from old computer :roll: .

J.Jay
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not really. Takes a little time thou. :wink: Most hardware drivers are in the kernel.
The main thing (with clonzilla) are
1. make sure ,Cloned' partions are =< (edit sorry) size than the partitions where being copied. (Mine are a 8GB root and a 24GBhome image/clone).no nedd to clone swap ect
2. make sure no proprietary drivers are installed in clone (mostly ATI or Nvidia).
3. (edit again) obviously 32bit to 32 bit (PAE?) and 64 to 64 bit.
**note clonezilla will also see partion (root one) as bootable and install a Grub for you (asks if want)**

I use 'Parted Magic' since has both 'clonzilla' & gparted (to set up partitions (need swap) with other useful stuff that fits on a CD run from ram so can use CD if needed (I use a USB pendrive thou)
The first Boot takes longer (and will auto config to new hardware mostly). And might need to uninstall/reinstall some stuff (making sure configs and 'dot' files are gone.

P.S. I have a 'LMDE' 64bit install done this way (install once (image on USB) and reinstalled on 3 different computers. Also a 32bit install for a ancient tablet I use as a 'Mobile' liveUSB usage. Also installed to nieces 32 bit broken MSWindows 32 bit computer thatshe gave to her kids. (can't seduce her to 'linux, she went and bought new laptop with MSWindows after I Saved her picture/taxes/document from old computer :roll: .

J.Jay

P.S. works good to have a UP5 ISO (since none)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

First consideration?
Does computer able to run Mint?? Mints12 LXDE is a CD sized ISO. LMDE try 'Swift' to get idea if runs.

Normally for a limited/spotty Net connection, a version (regular Mint's) are preferable over a rolling/semi rolling (especially LMDE where UPacks can run over 1000 MBs) :lol:
But
with only a CD your limited to what can install easily.
So
If have access to 2nd computer probably remastersys (for regular 'Buntu based) or clonezilla (either 'Buntu or LMDE based).
or learn how to use plop ect. (I used similar to install from a zip drive years ago)

P.S. alot of 'live CDs have ability to boot into HD (where a ISO copied) and then you can install to unused partitions (then after delete partition where ISO is) resize if want :!:

J.Jay :mrgreen:
ChinaJ

Re: [SOLVED] Your thoughts on jumping from 9 to 13?

Post by ChinaJ »

Thanks for the suggetions, but I just went with the Plop boot manager disk combo. Had a couple issues with installation, though, and I'm just cracking it up to the computer being a bit on the old side: first, my Maya USB key installer kept crashing on install when it got to the "Time Zone" selection part. It looks like it installed everything, but Grub never got loaded, and I really didn't want to take the chance that the install was really broken. Strange that I had that issue, because I downloaded the .iso via torrents (which checks the validity of the download) and used Lili USB Creator, which also verifies the .iso. Anyway, changed the USB key to having Isadora on there, and it loaded up just fine. So I guess my decision was out of my hands on this one. :P

I'll be back in April once Isadora loses support, but we'll leave that to another thread.

Return to “Xfce”