Windows 7 Hibernate query

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GusGF

Windows 7 Hibernate query

Post by GusGF »

Not sure if I have a problem here but I believe I have :?:

When I hibernate Windows 7 and reboot I am not offered the option of the boot menu so I can boot into Linux Mint 13.

Is this something I have to accept or am I missing something?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GusGF

Re: Windows 7 Hibernate query

Post by GusGF »

Anybody got any ideas on this please?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I don't use hibernate or suspend or anything like that myself, and never have, but my guess is that the behaviour you state is by design not an error. The expectation is that when you hibernate you want the same distro to start next time. If you don't, then shutdown, instead of hibernating and you will get the boot menu next time.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Do you know if Windows boots in UEFI mode on your system?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
GusGF

Post by GusGF »

AlbertP wrote:Do you know if Windows boots in UEFI mode on your system?

No idea, I think it is still using the BIOS as my default boot system though if I install Win8 I am sure it would be UEFI capable.

All I know is when I boot up after a hibernate my PC simply resumes the last session and completely skips any boot screen or option to even go into the bios.

To be honest I am new to UEFI and don't really know what I am talking about.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Not going into BIOS is quite normal. As a work-around, you can turn on the computer, and then immediately hold the power button to turn it off. Windows will still resume normally after doing this, and you get your normal boot back.

Please run sudo parted -l. It should show if your harddisk has an "msdos" or "gpt" (UEFI) partition table.
GusGF

Post by GusGF »

Code: Select all

$  sudo parted -l
[sudo] password for xxxxx: 
Model: ATA SAMSUNG HM321HI (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
 1      1049kB  52.4GB  52.4GB  primary   ntfs            boot
 2      52.4GB  52.9GB  500MB   primary   ext4
 3      52.9GB  177GB   124GB   extended
 5      52.9GB  72.9GB  20.0GB  logical   ext4
 6      72.9GB  173GB   100GB   logical   ext4
 7      173GB   177GB   3999MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
 4      177GB   282GB   105GB   primary   ntfs

I Think what might be happening is the Windows bootloader which is in the MBR is clocking there is a hibernated Windows 7 session present and is booting that up straight away and not even giving GRUB which is in the /boot partition a chance to fire up i.e. completely bypassing it!! I didn't figure this out by myself but I did a bit of googling :) Problem is I am not sure how you put GRUB before the Windows 7 bootloader. I presume I would need to somehow move GRUB to the MBR?!

Did a wee test and hibernated Mint and rebooted and got the Win7 bootloader followed by GRUB and got back into my Mint session no problem.

Can anyone tell me what to do or point to a tutorial that novice like me can use?

Thanks
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Grub is installed into the MBR by default, unless you choose a partition instead of a disk as bootloader location in the installer. You probably did that, and used BCD to get Grub loaded anyway. Right?

You can install Grub again using this tutorial: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245
Please choose to install it on /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda2: then its bootsector will be put into MBR.
It seems however that you're having a /boot partition. That will make it slightly more complicated. You'll have to mount /boot instead of /, and use --boot-directory instead of --root-directory when doing grub-install.
GusGF

Post by GusGF »

AlbertP wrote:Grub is installed into the MBR by default, unless you choose a partition instead of a disk as bootloader location in the installer. You probably did that, and used BCD to get Grub loaded anyway. Right?

You can install Grub again using this tutorial: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245
Please choose to install it on /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda2: then its bootsector will be put into MBR.
It seems however that you're having a /boot partition. That will make it slightly more complicated. You'll have to mount /boot instead of /, and use --boot-directory instead of --root-directory when doing grub-install.

I have a feeling I am going to have to go away and do some research on this to understand what the hell I am doing. I am sure you are right and it makes sense what you say but I need to understand what I'm doing here. I am sure I'll be back to you, but hopefully having sorted it out :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”