The divorce has been finalized

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here

The divorce has been finalized

Postby styckx on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:46 pm

After years of procrastinating and procrastinating I finally put in the divorce papers to Redmond... I just couldn't deal with them anymore and already knew Linux was a perfectly viable solution for me, but just a matter of finally getting up the `balls' to make the transition. I have a little side build box I used to compile Android builds on so I was quite familiar with Linux but didn't know what build I wanted to go with for my 24/7 daily driver PC.

My PC Specs
i7 2600k @ 4.2
Raedon 6990 connected to dual 40inch LEDs..
8GB Mushkin DDR3
1TB Caviar Black

So.. Performance wasn't a big concern for me as I knew I had the CPU and GPU horsepower to deal with most anything.. Stability and usability was what I was shopping for.. As I've learned over my 20+ years being a tech nerd, all the glitter and gloss in the world can't make up for terrible buggy software.. So I test drove.. Ubuntu first.. 12.04 for a week, then 12.10... And that's where I stopped caring about Ubuntu... 12.04 had some issues but was usable and 12.10 was laughable... You know an OS has issues when it becomes second nature to keep a browser tab with Google open at all times just for OS related issues..

Next I gave the tried and true Debian a run through.. Even though I use it to compile Android on another PC I wanted to feel it out on my main rig as a daily driver. Plus also, it's a lot of fun starting with a minimum base and building your own work environment. :) Needless to say it was great and performed fantastic of course but being as this was going to be my daily driver I wanted access to the more modern builds of software.. I know I could cheat with using Ubuntu repos etc but I really rather not go fragmenting my software like that as it's just asking for problems.

Finally I stumbled on over to Mint.. I pondered LMDE but the rolling updates just aren't my cup of tea.. Decided to install the MATE distro as my base and side installed Cinnamon.. I LOVE MINT.. It has all the stable solid usability of a Debian install but with the nice broader range up to date applications I come to depend on.. Not a single hiccup, not a single problem, not a single issue that I had to go running to Google for and find out it was bug confirmed in 2010 and still in the latest LTS and regular builds *SMH*.. Just SOLID.. I absolutely love MATE and while Cinnanmon is obviously still maturing I also liked what I saw a lot.

That's all I really signed up for is to basically say thanks!

LM 17 - i7 2600k @ 4.2 / SLI MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr @ 3x1920x1080 / 8GB Mushkin Redline
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: The divorce has been finalized

Postby The-Wizard on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:22 am

welcome to the Mint family forums

asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -mint 17 Xfce dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
Level 10
Level 10

Re: The divorce has been finalized

Postby jesica on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:35 am

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

My Linux Counter number # 566377
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Introduce yourself