The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote: Btw: Why is this thread (LMDE: updates??) part of the thread "LMDE: Logitech headset no sound?"
it isn't anymore :!: please don't hijack other topics with non-related subjects

regarding the questions raised here:
-UP6 will be released during debian's deep-freeze, so don't expect radical changes (those were already made with UP5)
- kde 4.9.x is not in debian (and we don't know when it will be)
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012 ... 00014.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012 ... 00015.html
- the first place to find fresh kde packages is >> http://qt-kde.debian.net/ (as you see dormant since june) but even after they appear there it will take some time to be included in an UP
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje wrote: Btw: Why is this thread (LMDE: updates??) part of the thread "LMDE: Logitech headset no sound?"
Sorry - probably my bad. Haven't figured out how to create a new topic within the original thread. Just ignore it. We'll soon be on a new page to hide my shame.. :(
dcihon

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by dcihon »

OK Guys with this Unoffical release of KDE in LMDE I am trying to dump all the gnome packages from my system and just run pure KDE.
One of the issues I have and I know there will be many more is replacing mplayer with kplayer.
I have removed mplayer and installed kplayer.
How do I get Firefox to recognize it when I want to play a .pls link in Firefox?
This is probably basic know how but I don't know how.
Thanks Guys.
Dan
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Sorry for being this late, but I suppose that tells you that nobody reading this thread does know how to solve your problem.
Btw, were you able to play .pls links in Firefox before the "K-purification"?
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Yes mplayer would launch and play the files.
Don't worry no big deal. I will figure it out.
Still working through it.
dale661
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dale661 »

Thank you so much, Schoelje! I've been looking for something like this for quite some time! LMDE and KDE!!!!!
User of Debian, LMDE, Mint and FreeBSD.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

dale661 wrote:Thank you so much, Schoelje! I've been looking for something like this for quite some time! LMDE and KDE!!!!!
Another happy customer! :D
benjamin7

Post by benjamin7 »

Yesterday I installed LMDE KDE UP5 on my Asus eeePC 1005HA netbook. LMDE KDE is really great and just what I was looking for. Many thanks for all the work, Schoelje! The only issue I detected so far might be machine-specific, and I want to report it here in case some other owners of Asus netbooks or notebooks run into the same trouble: During the live session and also after the installation there was no audio coming from the internal speakers. Using headphones audio was fine.

This is what I did to fix this problem. I edited the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. I changed the last line of the file from

options snd_hda_intel model=generic

to

options snd_hda_intel model=alsa

Then I rebooted the system. Now the internal speakers work just fine. Hope this will be helpful to other users.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@benjamin7
First of all, welcome to the Linux Mint forum.
Second, thanks for the compliment and the feedback.
It's true, for some users pulseaudio is giving problems and most of them need to purge pulseaudio completely.
I like your workaround better and I bet more users will try that out before removing pulseaudio.
benjamin7

Post by benjamin7 »

@Schoelje

Thanks for the welcome.
I have to correct an error in my previous posting. The last line in the file /etc/modprobe.conf/alsa-base.conf has to be changed in the following way:

Instead of

options snd_hda_intel model=generic

type

options snd_hda_intel model=asus

(not alsa) Sorry, I just mixed up 'alsa' and 'asus'.

For users of other laptops experiencing sound problems: I stumbled across a list that might be helpful (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568). There you can find more than 80 laptop models. So, instead of purging pulseaudio completely it is worth to go through the list and see if your laptop is listed.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Just a quick update on my LMDE KDE activities.

For the past week I've been working on improving the live installer.
I'm trying to make it look more like ubiquity, the installer used in LM, and I'm particularly concentrating on the time zone selection part.

The code in ubiquity is, how shall I say it, complex and difficult to maintain, so I'm trying another approach by making a HTML front end and handling the user's selection in the back end (Python). There are some difficulties, but I have good hope I will be able to test it when UP6 is ready.
If you're interested, here's the stackoverflow link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1326 ... able-value
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I have a few questions (maybe they are silly but...) :)

1. Can I install aplications made for gnome on this distribution?
2. Beacuse this is debian, whether it will be updated like all other debians (rolling edition) or for each new version I must make new installation of it?
3. What I must do in virtualbox to see all the fun stuff like on normal, physical machine? I mean, I tried to install debian distribution with cinnamon in virtualbox and I wasn't able to see cinnamon but some lighty MATE (and I activated those drivers that virtualbox offers)... I don't have much experience with virtualbox... :roll:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

TRZALICA,
hi :)
1- yes, no problem. all the app and libraries available in synaptic should be installable. some prefer to run a more integrated system (meaning that if there is a QT app for the job better) but you are free to chose what you want :D

2- you don't need to reinstall lmde-kde (unless it breaks): either you follow the default update-packs or choose something else your system will be always updated.

3- not a big VB expert but did you check if 3d acceleration was ticked? cinnamon (and gnome-shell) needs 3D to work
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

I wanted to post a solution to a problem I have always had with KDE.
I had this problem when I used KDE in Mandriva also.
When you open up system settings and try to fill out Account Details you would get a permission denied error.
Here is a link to the fix.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=113425

If this has been documented somewhere else you can delete this thread. I couldn't find it here.
Thanks
Dan
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@dcihon
Nice one!
I will include this in the next LMDE KDE.
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

zerozero, thanks for answers! :)

This Debian KDE distribution doesn't have regulary updates but some update packs or I didn't understand that part well? Can I install debian updates or just update packs?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

TRZALICA,
with the default installation (and sources.list) you are tracking the update-packs scheme; see this for more info http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1781 and this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=91405
(of course you can do as others here - if you feel adventurous and capable to handle one breakage once in a while - and change to testing or sid)
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I'm planing to work as a web designer on Linux platform (already using linux for about 1.5 year now) and this LMDE KDE distribution seems like good (and also eye-candy) distribution. I would like to hear your advice is this distribution good (and safe) platform for that kind of use? I mean when I update LMDE KDE, it wont broke or there is high possibility for that?
I will read those artickles you post in your previous post, and once again thanks for help! :)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

If you're planning to use your system as a development environment (as do I, obviously), I think you need to reconsider using the Debian repositories. Just go for stability and keep the default LM repositories. I'm using my own LMDE KDE to develop for LMDE and Ubuntu as well as maintaining my very simple web site and I haven't missed Windows for a second :wink:
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

I don't know if I understand you well so will ask: your advice is that it's better to use Ubuntu kind of linux for my job or Debian (your distribution looks fantastic - good work! :) )?

English is my 2nd language so there is possibility that I didn't undesrtand you well, sorry for that!

Return to “Chat about Linux”