mint-meta-debian-cinamon/mate = 190 auto removable packages

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lukew

mint-meta-debian-cinamon/mate = 190 auto removable packages

Post by lukew »

After installing UP5 recently cinnamon did not look quite right. As noted on the forums + update info it advised to install mint-meta-debain-cinnamon if you are using cinnamon and mint-meta-debian-mate if you are using mate. I have both installed and would like to remain that way so i installed both.

After installing both cinnamon is back to looking nice however synaptic reported 15+ auto removable packages. I selected to completely remove them and it asked to remove even more packages including mint-meta-debain-cinnamon and mint-meta-debain-mate. Selecting these and then the new auto removable packages i have ended up with 190 packages which it would like to remove.

Most do have an explanation:

compiz + libraries would no longer be needed as mate and cinnamon don't use compiz
the old linux headers are not needed.
I can understand the meta packages not being required but seeing as i have actually installed them it indicates to me that something has gone a little wonky.

I have attached a screen shot and also the full list of packages it would like to remove.

I searched the forums but no one seems to be having the same issues. Or do people more take the attitude of it is not broken don't break it :)

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Luke
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lukew

Re: mint-meta-debian-cinamon/mate = 190 auto removable packa

Post by lukew »

It seems that my mistake was to install both. compiz is not needed for mate. The packs were seemingly separating the desktops and clearing up to align with the new strategy of separate installation disks for each. I removed the mate meta package and reinstalled the cinnamon. I now have 3 auto removable though the rest have moved to local or obsolete. It has still got a little confused though at least an explanation can be held.

I have only started using LMDE and still a little undecided which if i prefer mate or cinnamon. I think i will spend the next 6 months deciding and when the next update pack comes install from fresh. I will refrain form trying to tidy up any of the local packages.

If anyone can add anything to this it would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Luke
sobrus

Re: mint-meta-debian-cinamon/mate = 190 auto removable packa

Post by sobrus »

Compiz was never needed for any DE (maybe except unity).
But it is still far superior, at least in my opinion, than marco (window manager that mate uses).
I have both cinnamon and mate with compiz installed, although something can be messed with my meta packages (as long as it works - i'm not "fixing" it)

Return to “LMDE Archive”