how to install utorrent in mint LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

how to install utorrent in mint LMDE?

Post by ilAli »

how can i install utorrent in linux mint debian? i downloaded its linux version but i do not know what should i do whit it.
terdon

Re: how to install utorrent in mint LMDE?

Post by terdon »

Hi,
this should work. Open a terminal (menu => accessories=>terminal), change to the directory you have downoaded the file to (lets assume it is $HOME/Downloads, extract the files and then install or run iof you are given a binary. These are the commands you should enter (assuming what you downloaded is called utorrent-server-3.0-25053.tar.gz):

Code: Select all

cd Downloads
tar xvvzf utorrent-server-3.0-25053.tar.gz 
cd utorrent-server-v3_0/
./utserver
However, if what you want to do is just download torrent, I recommend you check out Vuze, transmission or ktorrent, all of which can be installed through LMDE's installer (synaptic) and are quite good. If I understand correctly utorrent for linux just gives you a web-based interface. I personally like Vuze but use whatever you like.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE forum
HisDudeness

Post by HisDudeness »

Hi everyone! Have a problem here... if I go through the classic ./ it outputs:

bash: ./utserver: No such file or directory
When utserver clearly is in the directory I'm in. If I append a "bash" before that, or only go through bash without ./, it tells me

./utserver: ./utserver: cannot execute binary file
or

utserver: utserver: cannot execute binary file
obviously depending on how I wrote the command.

Despite the folder and all its files being owned by my user, all the files appeared with a lock, so I did a sudo chmod 777 utserver and nothing changed. executing as a program was already permitted, and still double clicking on the file does nothing, instead of opening the dialogue box which let me choose whether to run the file, run in terminal, or display its content. What should I do?
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

try this

chmod a+x utserver
./utserver

lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

I also noted that once the files are downloaded and unzipped they are marked read only... after i changed the permissions and ran

./utserver this was my output
  • server started - using locale en_US.UTF-8
    Using locale en_US.UTF-8
    GetNodeID failed, using /dev/random
    total physical memory -1 max disk cache 33554432
    Loaded ipfilter.dat (0 entries)
    IPv6 is installed
HisDudeness

Post by HisDudeness »

Thanks for the immediate response, answered before I could post I already found what was wrong. If I did a little more search before I wouldn't have bumped this thread, but I hope that will be useful for people in my same situation.

I just had to install a lot of dependencies, under one sole command:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
That installs something around 90 MB of libraries if I do remember well. After that, ./utserver worked.

What is odd how do the program work... a Linux newbie like me never experienced anything like that before... actually, a tiny bit of searching reveals that, but I guess that if I write it down here it wouldn't hurt.

After getting the process to run, just go to http://localhost:8080/ (or http://localhost:8080/gui/ to get the visual interface) in your browser like it's a website. You'll be asked a password like when going to your router config page or to some other sites like online universities registrar's offices. Default is admin as username and a blank password (after entering it with those, you can change your login data too in the config page).

I'm so happy I can get μTorrent to work on my LMDE machine. I mean, I sticked up with Transmission until now, but then it completely screwed up a 40 GB torrent when it did download a whole 70% of it... and it was well slow, a lot of seeds but even more leeches. Also, UPnP didn't work with it, and it completely sucked up my connection if I didn't severely limit peers and upload to 10 Kb/s, which means killing p2p. As for Vuze, I find it to be horribly heavy, slow and filled with a lot of useless stuff, and it even didn't resume downloads from other clients, unlike Transmission. μTorrent is the thing!
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

That is so kewl! It didn't want to run the web gui at first but it's working now. Have password and changed the port and other settings. The trick is to put the userver and dat files in the same folder as the web gui folder according to the web page... I think I like this. Now to try it. :P
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

You should write this up in a How To for other people.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

If you have Wine installed, an alternative is to just download the Windows version and launch utorrent.exe with Wine Windows Program Loader. No installation is needed. With my internet I have found utorrent is much faster downloading than transmission.
HisDudeness

Post by HisDudeness »

seppalta wrote:If you have Wine installed, an alternative is to just download the Windows version and launch utorrent.exe with Wine Windows Program Loader. No installation is needed.
Well, you know, I bet that there's nothing different between the two methods, but I'm still not a huge fan of wine. I mean, I like my Linux system to be pure, in the sense, if something can run natively, I prefer it that way. Running Windows program with an emulator makes me feel like I get a bastardized Linux system, but that's just a fixation of mine, I think I'm pretty psychotic or OCD sometimes. Anyway, even with the canonical (not in the sense of *ugh* Ubuntu manufacturer) method no installation is required. Not of the software in your system, at least, just of a few dependencies, but that avoids installing Wine anyway. I hope I can carry on for a lot of time still without getting it on my system.
lizbeth wrote:You should write this up in a How To for other people.
Why, thankie! But even if I'm pretty excited at the idea of making myself useful, I don't feel the best about a newbie like me writing an How To, like it's kinda obvious I'm gonna miss or screw up something. Even if I'm gonna do it, I still miss some last steps to make it complete:
  • It seems like I can't add the folder I stored the software in to the PATH, so that I can run the server in the terminal by just writing "utserver" and not "Software/Installed/utorrent-server-v3_0/utserver" from home; read some PATH tutorials and explanations, but I can't seem to get the hang of it...
  • I don't know how to add a launcher in the start menu to utserver, possibly a launcher that not only starts the program up, but do it in the terminal so that you have textual outputs for troubleshooting
  • I must still test the possibility of a shell that automatically loads utserver at startup (barely read of it on the internet) and ponder the pros and cons
  • I have some utorrent files around in home directory, I'm gonna try to understand how and why
  • Everytime I change username and password in the options, it does not accept the new one I just put
Also...

lizbeth wrote:The trick is to put the userver and dat files in the same folder as the web gui folder according to the web page...
Can you explain this to me please? Absolutely interesting but I can't seem to get what it means :)
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

Does the Linux version support proxies?
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Kevin, It works through your browser and yes it does support proxy servers. socks4,5 and http,s.

Return to “LMDE Archive”