System Tray in Cairo Dock

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
2briancox

System Tray in Cairo Dock

Post by 2briancox »

I have 2 goals using Cairo Dock in Cinnamon:

1- Somehow have the System Tray icons (Bluetooth, Mint-Update, Safely Remove) added to Cairo Dock.

and

2- Remove the Cinnamon Panel completely from the desktop. Leaving ONLY Cairo-Dock.

I have been Googling and Forum Searching. Does anyone have an idea where to begin? Or if this is certainly impossible?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: System Tray in Cairo Dock

Post by cwsnyder »

Docks and panels are not equivalent. They have different functionality, and as far as I know you would need different applets to put the functions from the system tray on Cairo Dock. You DEFINITELY can't just drag and drop the functions from the top panel to the dock. The best you could do is to auto-hide the top panel.
2briancox

Post by 2briancox »

I do understand that the exact same program will not embed its code in the dock. But are there replacements or work arounds to get this functionality into Cairo-Dock to possibly not require use of the Panel ... is my more precisely worded question.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

The indicator apps are tied to the panel and would have to be completely re-written. The source code is there if you wish to contribute your time?

I remember a clock applet available for Cairo Dock, an app to track the virtual desktops, link to a volume control, network connection indicator, app menu, logout and others. You could have very little on the top panel, and some panels will auto-hide.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

2briancox wrote:2 goals using Cairo Dock in Cinnamon
Quite simple, add the notification area to a dock and set the Cinnamon panel to auto hide with custom height of zero. Try the Default-Panel theme.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
2briancox

Post by 2briancox »

Thanks, but that doesn't work, remolder.

I already have notifications. It's the tools I haven't solved:Bluetooth, mint-update and Safely Remove.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Sorry but it works here, did you try logging out and back in or maybe you need to play around with the options? Did you try the theme I mentioned as that is pre-setup. Also are you running version 3?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”