Gnome Classic, how to log out ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nitmeare2

Gnome Classic, how to log out ?

Post by nitmeare2 »

Hi,

I have selected Gnome Classic as standard Desktop environment. But there is no logout button, it is also not possible to create one. So i need to use commandline to shut down the PC. I am also not able to get to the login screen as it automaticaly logs in with Gnome Classic, so im not able to choose cinnamon again. So could one tell me how to logout from Gnome Classic without using the GUI so i can select an other desktop environement wich is functional ?

Thx,

Nitmeare
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Gnome Classic, how to log out ?

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

nitmeare2 wrote:Hi,

I have selected Gnome Classic as standard Desktop environment. But there is no logout button, it is also not possible to create one. So i need to use commandline to shut down the PC.
Do you mean log out or shut down? You can add a button for either function to the panel (Alt+RightClick, Add to panel). Both functions should also be available from the Main menu and the User menu (both of these can be added to the panel, if they're not there already).
I am also not able to get to the login screen as it automaticaly logs in with Gnome Classic, so im not able to choose cinnamon again.
Sounds like you have 'Automatic login' set. Open System Settings / User Account to switch it off.
MakavelliRo

Post by MakavelliRo »

This post could maybe explain why this happens: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 82#p636425
ultimitloozer

Post by ultimitloozer »

grizzler wrote:Do you mean log out or shut down? You can add a button for either function to the panel (Alt+RightClick, Add to panel). Both functions should also be available from the Main menu and the User menu (both of these can be added to the panel, if they're not there already).
Alt+RightClick does nothing at all. The Main and User menus are not present in the panel by default and apparently there is no way to add them. Add to this the stability issues with Cinnamon and LinuxMint is starting to look more and more like a losing proposition.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Try Windows-Alt-RightClick then :)
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

IMO Gnome Classic is not meant for common, everyday use. It is indeed a fallback/troubleshooting graphical mode (package name is "gnome-fallback") as is "safe-mode" in the Windows world.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Ctrl + Alt + Delete has worked for me.

Return to “MATE”