[SOLVED] HP Laserjet 1018 /1020 driver problem!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grgaud
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] HP Laserjet 1018 /1020 driver problem!

Post by grgaud »

For those of you who are having HP laserjet driver problems, here's one solution: First, install the package 'build-essential' either by using the synaptic package manager, or by using the command line in a term.

Then go to the following web page http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/ and scroll down to "Download and Install" and follow those instructions to the letter.You don't have to be afraid of having to compile your own driver, it works like a charm when you've downloaded the right tools and followed the instructions. I'm not good at this kind of stuff and it worked for me, easy as pie.

Hope this can help someone else. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If you've never been here before,
make sure you come back and visit again.

breaker

Re: [SOLVED] HP Laserjet 1018 /1020 driver problem!

Post by breaker »

I recently installed XFCE Community Edition BETA 008 and had some trouble with a HP Laserjet 1020 not printing, although it printed a test page after the initial OS install, it then wouldn't print. CUPS said the test page had printed though.

The above driver compile/install solution didn't solve it, but it was good to have the latest version of the driver, also there is a forum http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/forum/ (specifically for the driver) if you need more help.

SOLUTION: I moved the printer to a different USB port, and a test page worked again.

Firefox printed, GPicView printed after I set it up, but Mousepad didn't print. After more searching I found out I had to add a package to get mousepad to print. The package is a2ps, the "GNU a2ps - 'Anything to PostScript' converter and pretty-printer."

I have no idea why the thing stopped printing, I tried rebooting, I tried turning it off, I tried restarting CUPS.

-breaker
grgaud
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] HP Laserjet 1018 /1020 driver problem!

Post by grgaud »

breaker wrote:I recently installed XFCE Community Edition BETA 008 and had some trouble with a HP Laserjet 1020 not printing, although it printed a test page after the initial OS install, it then wouldn't print. CUPS said the test page had printed though.

The above driver compile/install solution didn't solve it, but it was good to have the latest version of the driver, also there is a forum http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/forum/ (specifically for the driver) if you need more help.

SOLUTION: I moved the printer to a different USB port, and a test page worked again.

Firefox printed, GPicView printed after I set it up, but Mousepad didn't print. After more searching I found out I had to add a package to get mousepad to print. The package is a2ps, the "GNU a2ps - 'Anything to PostScript' converter and pretty-printer."

I have no idea why the thing stopped printing, I tried rebooting, I tried turning it off, I tried restarting CUPS.

-breaker
That's really weird, I never had that problem with the USB ports or Mousepad. However, I remember this method not functioning with Zenwalk 4.0 and 5.0 until I discovered that I had to reboot for the drivers to take effect.... hmmmm, you'd think these drivers were programmed by Windows hackers. :P

It's good to know there's a forum when I can go should a problem arise, so thanks for the heads up on that.
If you've never been here before,
make sure you come back and visit again.

Return to “Hardware Support”