TightVNC Interface

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
katherinepatrice

TightVNC Interface

Post by katherinepatrice »

Hi - I am very new to Linux Mint (and Linux in general...). I built a new PC a few weeks ago and did a fresh install of Linux Mint Maya with Cinnamon. So far, I'm definitely a convert, but I am not all that comfortable with the basics like downloading and using certain software and manipulating programs using the terminal. My work computer in my lab is a PC and runs Windows 7, and has access to a local server with data that I sometimes need access to from home, so I am trying to set up a remote access connection from my home Mint PC to the Windows PC. Most of the online help I have been finding either doesn't make very much sense to me or revolves around people trying to access a Linux computer from a Windows (instead of the other way around). My tech person at work (VERY small lab...) is not around for another month or so, so I have to figure this out somewhat on my own.

I have installed TightVNC and set it up on the Windows machine, along with changing the settings to allow remote connections. I went home, went to software manager and installed (it shows it as installed) tightvncserver, and I believe I set the passwords in the terminal, but that is as far as I got. I can't find the software in my programs list, and I definitely can't figure out how to access other computers - is there an interface similar to the one in Windows? Tightvnc seems pretty straightforward in Windows, so I'm not quite sure where I am being tripped up in Mint.

Thanks for any help in advance, I am completely new to Linux, so I apologize if I am totally missing the mark somewhere...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: TightVNC Interface

Post by usbtux »

VNC requires you to use port forwading if you are ok with this use ssvnc available in software manager/synaptic

Take a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC

For ease of use I'd use Teamviewer.

Install Teamviewer on both. and setup the windows machine to autostart and actively listen for a connection. Also setup a good password on the windows Teamviewer.
Easy to setup and use.

See http://usbtux.hostzi.com/teamviewer for more info
katherinepatrice

Post by katherinepatrice »

Hey - Thank you so much for the help/advice. I set up TeamViewer and it works great, no problems!
psyphurrlock

Post by psyphurrlock »

When I try to install Teamviewer per the above recommendation on Mint 14 it seems to hang downloading "additional package files". I am new to Linux somewhat (very old and rusty now) and have never used Teamviewer.

Suggestions?
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux.aspx Down load the DEB for Ubuntu/Debian depending on whether you require 32 or 64bit.

It will ask you to open with as you download - Yes
If not once downloaded double click on the deb file and it will run in GDebi Package installer. Once you see the uninstall button you can close the GDebi Package installer and run teamviewer

Return to “Beginner Questions”