Help! Need to get wifi back, but cant use ethernet.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
delicious

Help! Need to get wifi back, but cant use ethernet.

Post by delicious »

So for some reason I kept losing connection at home with my wifi. I noticed other computers in the house worked on windows it was just mine. It would come back after a few, but I google searched and they told me to uninstall that one and get this other one (I forget the name of it) that would solve these issues for it going down randomly.

So I did this, but then it wanted me to run apt-get update which wouldnt do it cuz i didnt have internet since i removed my old ones due to the steps I was following.

So now im out for awhile where I cannot connect to ethernet to just use terminal or anything to get wifi back for linux. Ive had to boot to WINDOWS :(

Can I download the standard one agian somehow on USB then reboot and install to get linux wifi working again? Help please!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Help! Need to get wifi back, but cant use ethernet.

Post by xenopeek »

If you know which packages you removed and need to add again, go into Package Manager (synaptic) and mark for installation the packages you need. Then from its File menu select "Generate package download script". By default it will save the file in the root user's home directory, which is not what you want. So make sure you browse to /home/your-username/Desktop and save the file there.

If you have another Linux installation, you can transfer the package download script there and run it to fetch the files you need. If you only have Windows, open the file with a text editor and you will find the URLs of the files you need to download. Just copy & paste the URLs to your web browser to download them on Windows.

Then copy all the downloaded files back to Linux and again in Package Manager, now from its File menu select "Add downloaded packages" and browse to where you have them.
delicious

Post by delicious »

I tried to connect an ethernet cord to get internet and even that wasnt working. I dunno how i removed all wifi and ethernet drivers. Not sure hwo to get internet back on via linux without that?
Is there a link of the stock ones that i can install via package manager anyone?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can check what packages you removed with:

Code: Select all

grep " remove " /var/log/dpkg.log
It sounds easier to reinstall Linux Mint at this stage though...
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

To user "delicious"

Post by chdslv »

You wrote in another post;
Only problem is right now for some reason my mint has no wifi/network connection. I did something and messed it up and nobody seems to have been able to help me get it working again. Been using windows Plugging ethernet does nothing and wifi doesnt do anything. I even went to the page with the packages you listed and saved mintwifi.deb and tried to reinstall that and did an apt-get update. it installed, but still doesnt show any kind of wifi/networking.
Try this;
sudo dhclient eth0
to try and get an IP address dynamically.
And then;
sudo service network-manager restart
You can ping and see, whether the internet connection works.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

chdslv I merged your post here, as this seems the more appropriate place. Perhaps PM delicious that you have shared a suggestion here.

Return to “Networking”