Is Mint going to begin passive key-logging like Canonical?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
midgar

Is Mint going to begin passive key-logging like Canonical?

Post by midgar »

Hi everyone,

I recently moved completely away from Ubuntu / Unity (I know that Mint is Ubuntu based) as it appears in their road-map their passive key-logger in Unity is going to be a major privacy concern. Also, personally, I completely disagree with it. Yes, I also know how to disable it, but I don't believe it should be something enabled by default.

Quote from eff.org:
"The new version of [Unity] Dash that comes with Ubuntu 12.10 [...] includes a new legal notice[...] that states that by using [the dash], you automatically agree to send your search term and IP address to a number of third parties."

Is the Mint team planning on doing something similar? From what I've read, I haven't found anything so I'm assuming "no". But I would like to hear some feedback.

Hope this topic isn't a little too "thick" for my first one. It's not supposed to come off as negative in any way. =P

Source: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/p ... data-leaks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Is Mint going to begin passive key-logging like Canonica

Post by bimsebasse »

Mint doesn't use Unity.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”