The divorce has been finalized

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
styckx

The divorce has been finalized

Post by styckx »

After years of procrastinating and procrastinating I finally put in the divorce papers to Redmond... I just couldn't deal with them anymore and already knew Linux was a perfectly viable solution for me, but just a matter of finally getting up the `balls' to make the transition. I have a little side build box I used to compile Android builds on so I was quite familiar with Linux but didn't know what build I wanted to go with for my 24/7 daily driver PC.

My PC Specs
i7 2600k @ 4.2
Raedon 6990 connected to dual 40inch LEDs..
8GB Mushkin DDR3
1TB Caviar Black

So.. Performance wasn't a big concern for me as I knew I had the CPU and GPU horsepower to deal with most anything.. Stability and usability was what I was shopping for.. As I've learned over my 20+ years being a tech nerd, all the glitter and gloss in the world can't make up for terrible buggy software.. So I test drove.. Ubuntu first.. 12.04 for a week, then 12.10... And that's where I stopped caring about Ubuntu... 12.04 had some issues but was usable and 12.10 was laughable... You know an OS has issues when it becomes second nature to keep a browser tab with Google open at all times just for OS related issues..

Next I gave the tried and true Debian a run through.. Even though I use it to compile Android on another PC I wanted to feel it out on my main rig as a daily driver. Plus also, it's a lot of fun starting with a minimum base and building your own work environment. :) Needless to say it was great and performed fantastic of course but being as this was going to be my daily driver I wanted access to the more modern builds of software.. I know I could cheat with using Ubuntu repos etc but I really rather not go fragmenting my software like that as it's just asking for problems.

Finally I stumbled on over to Mint.. I pondered LMDE but the rolling updates just aren't my cup of tea.. Decided to install the MATE distro as my base and side installed Cinnamon.. I LOVE MINT.. It has all the stable solid usability of a Debian install but with the nice broader range up to date applications I come to depend on.. Not a single hiccup, not a single problem, not a single issue that I had to go running to Google for and find out it was bug confirmed in 2010 and still in the latest LTS and regular builds *SMH*.. Just SOLID.. I absolutely love MATE and while Cinnanmon is obviously still maturing I also liked what I saw a lot.

That's all I really signed up for is to basically say thanks!

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: The divorce has been finalized

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Re: The divorce has been finalized

Post by jesica »

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”