Cinnamon under Ubuntu 12.10?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Cinnamon under Ubuntu 12.10?

Post by Rehdon »

HI all,
is there a guide about how best configure a Cinnamon desktop under the latest Ubuntu release (12.10)? I'm having some problems with Nemo, which is not showing icons on the desktop (in spite of settings) and several little annoyances, like those weird scrollbars used by Ubuntu Unity (guess I'll have to disable them with Ubuntu Tweak or something like that).

Thanks in advance,

R
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon under Ubuntu 12.10?

Post by xenopeek »

Moving this here as it is about Ubuntu. You could instead use Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon. It is close to release (the RC is out, final release probably before end of this month).
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Rehdon, you have to remove Nautilus to make the icons show up. Nemo is a fork of Nautilus and you only need one file manager installed anyway.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Unless you're playing around with the various options it's much easier to use Cinnamon in Nadia. I have both Unity, Gnome Shell and Cinnamon running on a standard 12.10, and it's a bit hiccup-y here and there with interfering gsettings and file managers.

Cinnamon 12.10 = Nadia
Gnome Shell 12.10 = Ubuntu Gnome Remix
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Thanks for the advice, both of you (also, I posted in the wrong forum >_<).

Just a couple of questions for bimse ;)

- I also use Dropbox, is the Nemo version 'safe' to install and use?

- are you planning to make a Nadia/Quetzal version of your PPA?

Cinnamon developme seems to proceed at good speed, IMHO there should be an official (or semi-official) repo for all the applets, extensions and themes not hosted on the main one. Also, it seems that the unofficial wiki for Cinnamon developers is in trouble, if I got that right, which is unfortunate because we need developers, developers, developers ;)

Rehdon
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Oops, hadn't seen your reply, Vincent. Thanks, I will surely try LM 14, the Ubuntu + Cinnamon thing is currently on a separate partition to try the latest and greatest stuff, my work version is still LM 13 + Cinnamon 1.4 (sadly, since 1.6.x gave me problems I couldn't solve).

Rehdon
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Rehdon wrote:Thanks for the advice, both of you (also, I posted in the wrong forum >_<).

Just a couple of questions for bimse ;)

- I also use Dropbox, is the Nemo version 'safe' to install and use?

- are you planning to make a Nadia/Quetzal version of your PPA?

Cinnamon developme seems to proceed at good speed, IMHO there should be an official (or semi-official) repo for all the applets, extensions and themes not hosted on the main one. Also, it seems that the unofficial wiki for Cinnamon developers is in trouble, if I got that right, which is unfortunate because we need developers, developers, developers ;)

Rehdon
The PPA is discontinued - Cinnamon will have installation of applets/themes/extensions through Cinnamon Settings soon, and most themes can't be (hacklessly) updated in Maya/Nadia as it has its own cinnamon-themes package with a slew of themes.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Oh I see, hope there will be some sane form of versioning control then.

Thanks a lot for your work on the PPA, bimse.

Rehdon

Return to “Chat about Linux”