Linux Mint 14 RC

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Linux Mint 14 RC

Post by craig10x »

Hi! I just happened to notice on the community iso testing site, that Linux Mint 14 Release Candidate had been approved by Clem for release....
I was just wondering where the isos will appear when they are uploaded to the mirrors...If you have a link to that page, i would appreciate it so that
i may watch out for it...

Thanks so much :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aelfinn

LM14 RC is out – any early reviews/impressions?

Post by aelfinn »

If you are looking for the Linux Mint 14 Release Candidates, have a look at the Linux Mint Mirrors site. At least the HEAnet servers already have the Nadia versions.

Has anyone been able to have a look and would like to share first impressions, or perhaps a serious review? :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint 14 RC

Post by exploder »

It should be in the repos soon. :)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Just go to http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/ and choose the version you prefer.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

It's out!

Where is the fanfare?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks guys...downloading it now... :D
Like Exploder, i am currently running ubuntu 12.10...i was kind of anxious to check out the improvements in cinnamon since i last tried it and also the refinements to 12.10 that is applied by Clem to Linux Mint...
Wonder if it will "sway" me back :wink: :lol:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Cue fanfare!

I have installed the Mint 14 Nadia (MATE version) release candidate. I've given it every stress test I can think of in a short 3 hour period and my impression is that it is the most stable Mint version I have ever installed. All of my usual add-on apps installed without a hitch and function perfectly. I was happy to see the Minitube version in the repos has finally progressed to 1.9. It was also kind of nice to see the old Plymouth theme back, even though I know from following the development page on the Community Site that it wasn't intentional. Since I must now use the opensource ATI driver the Plymouth screen looks as it should.

Congrats to Clem and the dev team for a brilliant new release.

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oyabunbaba

Post by Oyabunbaba »

Uuuhaaaaaa, downloading RC now, can't wait to put nose on that iso :D
I will write my observations definitely!
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

For those trying Nadia RC Cinnamon in VirtualBox, remember that Ubuntu 12.10 (the distro Nadia is based upon) is having a lot of problems getting the 3D acceleration to work under such circumstances (it defaults to software rendering via llvmpipe).
But you can make it work in Nadia RC Cinnamon this way:

-Fist, ensure you have the last version of VirtualBox (4.2.4) in your host machine.
-Second, once you have Nadia RC installed as a guest and running (and you have the 3D acceleration option ticked for it), open a terminal in Nadia and execute the following:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/modules
At the end of that file add the following line and save it:

vboxvideo
Then install the "guest additions" the usual way, and you'll have your Nadia RC with full 3D acceleration under VirtualBox!

Oops... I almost forgot. To get rid of those random hotspot activations under VirtualBox, just disable it in Cinnamon settings and use the Workspaces switcher (or the Expo) applet instead. And to fix the "gigantic" icons at the right side of the panel (while using some themes), go to Panel Settings and tick "Use customized panel size" and "Allow Cinnamon to scale text and icons...".
boosted

Post by boosted »

Has anyone tried to setup 'separate xscreens' with Nvidia Settings?
On the main screen (left) when I move the mouse to the right it wraps arround to the left of the main screen ie it doesn't move to the 'right' screen.
I can launch XBMC on the the 'right' screen and the mouse works and stays in that screen.
Tried nvidia-current, updates and download from nvidia, still the same.

Update
Looks like a bug with xorg-server-1.13.0
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55993
Last edited by boosted on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Installed the Cinnamon edition and it's working very well!

Well, not the live session or the immediate install experience. My live session looked like this: http://i.imgur.com/TPSC2.jpg :?

Once installed it booted into the same botched gnome classic double trouble bonanza, had to actively select a Cinnamon session from GDM to get to the Cinnamon desktop. That needs to be fixed before the final release. No dishevelled Gnome Classic, booting into Cinnamon automagically.

Those who stuck with the stable Cinnamon in Mint 13 will find Cinnamon in Mint 14 has come a long way - more advanced expo, more advanced alt-tab and lots of new knobs to twist in Cinnamon Settings. I feel that Cinnamon could do with a month or two of feature freeze and full attention paid to visual glitches. The panel favourites jump a bit when when populating the window list and the selected item in the menu is cut off - it needs some tender loving care to make it look less quickly thrown together. Apart from that it's incredible that Cinnamon isn't a year old yet, it's now very different from the Gnome Shell it was forked from 11 months ago, infinitely more customizable - add native installation of applets, extensions and themes through Cinnamon Settings (which is in the works) and Cinnamon will be more customizable than gnome-panel in Gnome 2 ever was.

The Firefox default search engine is Yahoo!, which is actually good news for Google users as that means the cluttered and cumbersome Mint-customized Google front page is no more. Consider donation if you change to Google as Mint gets no revenue from it (unlike Yahoo!).
Last edited by bimsebasse on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

esteban1uy wrote:For those trying Nadia RC Cinnamon in VirtualBox, [snippet a lot of interesting information :D ]
why do i have the feeling that this post will be quoted a lot in the coming months? :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

esteban1uy wrote:once you have Nadia RC installed as a guest...

...Then install the "guest additions" the usual way, and you'll have your Nadia RC with full 3D acceleration under VirtualBox!
Hi esteban, can you explain like you were talking to an idiot? I gave up having 12.10 in a virtualbox and would like to try again, don't know what installing as a guest means, though, or how you add guest additions.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

bimsebasse wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:once you have Nadia RC installed as a guest...

...Then install the "guest additions" the usual way, and you'll have your Nadia RC with full 3D acceleration under VirtualBox!
Hi esteban, can you explain like you were talking to an idiot? I gave up having 12.10 in a virtualbox and would like to try again, don't know what installing as a guest means, though, or how you add guest additions.
You can't fool me, I KNOW you're certainly not an idiot!

Ok, here we go:

VirtualBox is a virtualization software that allows you to run an OS in a "virtual machine" (aka. "the guest") inside a real machine (aka. "the host").

So let's say you're using Linux Mint 13 Maya in your real machine (your desktop pc or your laptop) and you want to give Linux Mint 14 Nadia a try, but a little more deeply than what the LiveDVD option gives you... and at the same time, without having to repartition your hard drive or taking any other risk. One of your options is to use VirtualBox, create a "virtual machine" and install Nadia in it (so Nadia will be installed as a "guest" OS inside your Maya "host").
If you do so, then for certain things to work properly in your "virtualboxed" Nadia (for example: 3D acceleration) you need to install what is known as "guest additions" inside it. That is very very simple:

First you apply the trick described in my previous post. Then, inside your virtual Nadia open a terminal and run this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) dkms build-essential
Then (also inside your virtual Nadia) you go to the VirtualBox panel and select the "Install Guest Additions" option and follow the instructions:

And then restart your virtual machine.
That's all!
Last edited by esteban1uy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

zerozero wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:For those trying Nadia RC Cinnamon in VirtualBox, [snippet a lot of interesting information :D ]
why do i have the feeling that this post will be quoted a lot in the coming months? :wink:
I hope not!!!

The VirtualBox dev team promised to come soon with a solution for the problem with Ubuntu 12.10 (and all its derivatives).
Take a look at this: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52327

The "trick" I described is something I've been forced to use in order to do my crazy experiments with Nadia inside a virtual machine (wow... that sounded a little bit dirty). I don't have a spare real machine to do that, I only have my beloved lappy and nothing else, so virtualization is my one and only option.

Also, the "trick" is not a very good solution. Even if you get the 3D acceleration working in your virtualized Nadia, the mouse cursor is still a little jumpy, sometimes very annoyingly.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

boosted,
It would be best to post your question in the graphics card and monitors section
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=59
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Working beautifully here too

Just having trouble with installing the Free Crossover released a few days ago...

It appears the missing packages are not on the servers.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

wine won't install either
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Cheers esteban!
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

bimsebasse wrote:Cheers esteban!
At your service!

Another little tip for Nadia in Vbox. To get rid of the jumpy mouse, open a terminal in your virtual Nadia and execute the following:

xinput set-prop "VirtualBox mouse integration" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0.5 0 0 0 0.5 0 0 0 1.0
And then:

xinput set-prop "VirtualBox mouse integration" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 1.0 0 0 0 1.0 0 0 0 1.0
Or you can create a startup script with those two commands and completely forget about the whole thing:

#!/bin/sh

xinput set-prop "VirtualBox mouse integration" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0.5 0 0 0 0.5 0 0 0 1.0
xinput set-prop "VirtualBox mouse integration" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 1.0 0 0 0 1.0 0 0 0 1.0

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”