Linux distro

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

Linux distro

Post by winoseti »

Is there a distro that installs the nvidia graphics
drivers in preference to Nouveau?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Linux distro

Post by cwsnyder »

In a word: No.

Further, the nVidia proprietary drivers are property of nVidia and due to licensing restrictions cannot be distributed with a GPL'd distribution.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

At least some distributions, like Fedora, make it easy to use proprietary drivers; add one repository and you're set.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

check out pclos and sabayon
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

elementary OS does - at least on my machine
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

I believe Chakra, PCLinuxOS and Sabayon all come with proprietary drivers as an option at livecd boot. Manjaro may as well (can't recall for sure).

As for Fedora making it easy? That's a good one! It may be the single most frustrating distro for nvidia owners, as disabling nouveau in Fedora is a huge pain.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Only if you do it wrong. ;)
addegsson

Post by addegsson »

Ubuntu does that if you check the "Install restricted drivers" checkbox during installation. :)
SurfaceUnits

Re: Linux distro nvidia drivers default

Post by SurfaceUnits »

Please edit your nondescriptive post title to reflect the question
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

/dev/urandom wrote:Only if you do it wrong. ;)
Hehe... well, the last time I installed nvidia on Fedora it involved using dracut to forcibly remove nouveau from the initrd. Perhaps something has changed? I'd love to be enlightened as to the right way.

BTW - I agree totally with your sig - people that refer to "Windows" or "Baboontu" are only displaying their own idiocy.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Thanks. :)
I must admit I haven't checked the correct path for removing nouveau from Fedora; anyway, editing the init.rd does not sound like too much of an effort?

[OT] I prefer "Dumbuntu". :D [/OT]
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

claudecat wrote:
/dev/urandom wrote:Only if you do it wrong. ;)
BTW - I agree totally with your sig - people that refer to "Windows" or "Baboontu" are only displaying their own idiocy.
What about Windows? are you saying thats idiotic as well? :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”