Why is KNOPPIX version of linux different than others?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thebluesky

Why is KNOPPIX version of linux different than others?

Post by thebluesky »

Hi,
I just "installed" Mint Debian to my flash disk in windows by using UNetbooting ..I downloaded the iso image from the mint web site as a only one iso file..and I used it for a bootable flash disk..

when it comes to KNOPPIX..it is confusing..it offers to download its iso image via utorrent but there are 5 files in the torrent file

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.0.3DVD-2012-06-25-DE.iso
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.0.3DVD-2012-06-25-DE.iso.md5
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.0.3DVD-2012-06-25-DE.iso.md5.asc
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.0.3DVD-2012-06-25-DE.iso.sha1
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/KNOPPIX_V7.0.3DVD-2012-06-25-DE.iso.sha1.asc

I think all files have to be downloaded but will I able to use unetbooting like I used for mint
if I choose only first file wht will happen the other files?

and there are two version of it one of them is 700 MB , the other one is 3.8 gb..
is 700mb-one is lite version or sth?

and as you know wht I am doing is called live cd not real installation..so even I can't save configuration I have done..but how to install a linux literally?

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Why is KNOPPIX version of linux different than others?

Post by kyphi »

Once upon a time UbuntuLinux distros came on 2 CDs - one as a live distro, the other to install. Later that was merged into one CD. When people demanded more programs, codecs, etc, this could no longer fit on a CD and DVDs were used.

If you visit the Knoppix site you will see that both "short" and "long" versions are available: http://knoppix.net/

The Knoppix 7.0.4 DVD in front of me contains 9 GB because it provides both 32bit and 64bit versions.

This DVD is available as a cover disc on the December 2012 issue of Linux Magazine (Linux Pro Magazine in the US).

Knoppix is not different from other Linuxes. It is Debian based and is a good showcase for the diversity of Linux applications available.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Chat about Linux”