How to install KDE dual boot?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lnx_User1

How to install KDE dual boot?

Post by Lnx_User1 »

Seems there is no "Install alongside Win XP" option in the KDE installation. So I have to do it manually. Now, I have WinXP (I assume showing as ntfs) and I have Free Space, that's what's there. So do I merely highlight the Free Space in blue and install or do I have to add space to use within the free space? Do I have to set up swap file and all that?

Previously with other versions of Linux Mint I have just been using the "install alongside of" option, so I'm a bit confused. Would like to keep the boot out of the windows partition though.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thunder422

Re: How to install KDE dual boot?

Post by thunder422 »

If I remember correctly, you have to go through the Manual setup of the hard drive (don't pick automatic) and add (create) a partition in your free space. It is not necessary to format it. Make sure the mount point is set to "/". It will install GRUB (boot manager) since it will see another OS (Win XP) and add it to GRUB's boot menu. It's unfortunate that this is not more obvious with a "install alongside of" option, but it will do it. Oh, and I learned (on another computer), if is doesn't see another OS install (WinXP) it doesn't appear to install GRUB at all.

I have done this several times now, originally had WinXP, installed Kubuntu 10.10 (since abandoned because it was unstable), Mint 10 KDE, Mint 12 KDE and now Mint 13 KDE. Each one is on its own partition, and not necessarily on the same hard drive. Each install kept modifying the Master Boot Record. All these systems are available to me on GRUB's boot menu. Modifying /etc/fstab also allows me to access all these partitions from Linux including the NTFS ones.
Lnx_User1

Post by Lnx_User1 »

Thanks for the reply.

Managed it manually from an old "How-To." I went manually and set up /boot,/,/home and a swap. Seemed to work out.
cluelesscoder

Post by cluelesscoder »

Wish you would have linked to the manual set-up. I'm flying a bit blind here, but I'll just dive in I guess.
everready

Post by everready »

If your still looking for a way to go why not try the Virtual Clone Drive I've been using to install just about every Linux Mint Distro on the boards and my machine is an XP as well, there are many tutorials you can Google up to get a feel for it. After checking out its reliability I've found that its close to the best if not the best.. :wink:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

Hope it helps..
everready
pelleoss

Post by pelleoss »

Lnx_User1 wrote:Seems there is no "Install alongside Win XP" option in the KDE installation. So I have to do it manually. Now, I have WinXP (I assume showing as ntfs) and I have Free Space, that's what's there. So do I merely highlight the Free Space in blue and install or do I have to add space to use within the free space? Do I have to set up swap file and all that?

Previously with other versions of Linux Mint I have just been using the "install alongside of" option, so I'm a bit confused. Would like to keep the boot out of the windows partition though.
I've just installed (2 weeks ago) LM 13 KDE in dual boot. I just had to remove all my external HDDs.
In fact with my external HDD connected, I had only 2 option: install on USB HDD or install manually. Removing the USB HDD, I was magically able to install LM on my internal HDD keeping winXP and having dual boot.

Return to “Software & Applications”