Cannot Shut down or restart computer

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cannot Shut down or restart computer

Postby mike.franky on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:44 am

Hi,

I have just installed linux mint (Mint 13 Maya 64 bit) for the first time and have also decided to swhich to the xfce desktop environment (also for the first time). After a bit of configuration I must say that I am very pleased with it. However, I didn't manage to find a way to shut down or restart through gui buttons. First of all the main menu doesn't even give you the options; it only has a "Lock Screen" button. Hence I decided to add the "Actions Button" item on my panel which gives you those options. However, appart from the "lock screen" and "log out" buttons, all the others are greyed out and cannot be clicked. So in order to shut down or reboot I am currently using the terminal.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance for any help
mike.franky
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot Shut down or restart computer

Postby viking777 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:10 am

Check if you have consolekit installed. If not try installing it.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install consolekit

I got that piece of advice from a Fedora bug report so I am not sure if it applies to Mint. Worth trying though I would think.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to XFCE