Overlapping text on some sites, solution.

Chat about just about anything else

Overlapping text on some sites, solution.

Postby exploder on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:29 am

I have been playing around with text size in Firefox since my eye surgery in case I should have problems in the future. I increase the minimum font size to 15 because the default is so tiny. I noticed when I went to the Windows page on Softpedia the text overlapped really bad. By chance I installed Adblock Plus, I normally just put up with the ads but I have read so many good posts about it I wanted to see what it could do. Anyway, when I went to the page with the overlapping text with Adblock Plus the text looked 100% better and was readable! The Linux page displayed fine with or without the add-on.

I know I am not the only member here that uses bi-focals, so if you are having this problem with text give this a try.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Overlapping text on some sites, solution.

Postby palo on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:35 pm

+1 for ABP
I don't know how to survive without ABP. I use reading glasses but still like the larger fonts, though I achieve it with scaling - I have never seen overlapping fonts (maybe because I have MS fonts installed?). I am not taking anything away from the ads because I wouldn't look at them anyway but on some sites I turn it off for different reasons. It is a primo addon. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Pat
~/mintmaya/xfce/enlightenment
Help Vampires: A Spotter's Guide
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Overlapping text on some sites, solution.

Postby exploder on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks Pat! I sort of recovered. I can see again but I might have to have another surgery to remove scar tissue from my retina.... I see the doctor in January and he will determine if the scarring is getting worse. I just barely passed the eye test to renew my drivers license.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Open chat