Partitioning & installing to an external hard drive?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tkbx

Partitioning & installing to an external hard drive?

Post by tkbx »

I've got an external hard drive with a large hfs+ partition (not changing anything here), a swap partition, and 3 blocks of unallocated space. I'm running LM 13 64-bit (Cinnamon) live. How can I install to the drive? I need partitions for '/', '/home', and swap, right? The swap is already made and at the right size. What else should I do? I've done this before, but it was long ago.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Partitioning & installing to an external hard drive?

Post by DrHu »

HFS+ is not a Linux partition, so I don't expect Linux OS to be able to install to that area
--as to swap being there, yes for the HFS+ partition's use (Apple OS)

If side by side, eg a Wubi (mint4lin) install works, you could try that, however that option is reserved for a windows OS (side by side) install, Apple products are a different story and not a defacto standard for the alternate OS (windows, naturally..)
tkbx

Post by tkbx »

DrHu wrote:HFS+ is not a Linux partition, so I don't expect Linux OS to be able to install to that area
--as to swap being there, yes for the HFS+ partition's use (Apple OS)

If side by side, eg a Wubi (mint4lin) install works, you could try that, however that option is reserved for a windows OS (side by side) install, Apple products are a different story and not a defacto standard for the alternate OS (windows, naturally..)
No, I meant that the HFS+ partition should be left alone. I was just wondering how I should set up my ext4 partitions, such as /, /home, swap, etc. However, I found a guide on this, so I should be all set.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Basicaly you need
/
/home
/swap (existing)

And all you really need is /

If you want to boot from the exthdd make sure the grub installer points to the root of the exthdd ( or the computer's main drive or another flash stick)
is the HFS+ primary? -
You may want to put the /home in an extended partition - you could put both /home & /swap in the extended partition, this would drop the primary partitions to 2. (max 4)

For more info please see http://usbtux.hostzi.com/How_to and specifically
http://usbtux.hostzi.com/somethingelse Using the advanced install manager. An excellent way to dual boot your computer without installing to the same hard drive as windows

Return to “Installation & Boot”