Getting fglrx to work on sid/liquorix

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xircon

Getting fglrx to work on sid/liquorix

Post by xircon »

I have seen several posts saying this is possible, as simple as (per Lizbeth, posting on siduction forum):

Code: Select all

wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-d ... x86_64.zip 
unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.zip 
sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-10-x86.x86_64.run
Well I have tried it, I reboot OK, get to the login screen, everything looks OK, but either my machine has frozen or keyboard is not working (mouse pointer moves, but cannot click).

Running fully updated (except for a few pinned packages, which are not relevant) LMDE Sid on a Dell Inspiron with Mobility Radeon HD5400 series card. Any ideas??

Linux n5010 3.6.0-5.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 4 17:59:00 CST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igor83

Re: Getting fglrx to work on sid/liquorix

Post by igor83 »

xircon wrote:I have seen several posts saying this is possible, as simple as (per Lizbeth, posting on siduction forum):

wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-d ... x86_64.zip 
unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.zip 
sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-10-x86.x86_64.run
Well I have tried it, I reboot OK, get to the login screen, everything looks OK, but either my machine has frozen or keyboard is not working (mouse pointer moves, but cannot click).

Running fully updated (except for a few pinned packages, which are not relevant) LMDE Sid on a Dell Inspiron with Mobility Radeon HD5400 series card. Any ideas??

Linux n5010 3.6.0-5.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 4 17:59:00 CST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Steve
I have been researching ATI's latest (12.10) with an eye to installing it on my system (see my sig). I suggest beginning your research with these two web sites that directly address the issue:

Install AMD Catalyst 12.10 Driver On Ubuntu 12.10/12.04/Linux Mint 13
AMD's ATI Wiki (ref: Catalyst 12.10 Linux prerequisites)

Let me know how this goes, as I am very interested in what you find out.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Thanks for the links, but a) They are for Ubuntu, b) They haven't told me anything :(. I am running LMDE Sid, some of the dependencies listed do not exist in Debian.

Cheers

Steve
xircon

Post by xircon »

Just tried adding a keyboard section to xorg.conf - still the same, cannot get past the login screen, cannot select user. Also tried the xorg ppa (yes I know, naughty boy), had to update libc6 from Ubuntu to 2.15. It failed on a problem with glx-diversions. Clonezillaed (new word!) back to old system. Worth a try!

Steve
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Steve

I use Nvidia not fglrx, but I did notice that SMXI had recently upgraded some of its fglrx driver installs. Might be worth a try.

http://smxi.org/site/install.htm
xircon

Post by xircon »

Nope, tried smxi and failed (current install only one that works), but it may have pointed me in the right direction, it is either a busid or a screens (xorg.conf) problem. If I remark the screens line out, I get Cinnamon 2d as fall back, if I remark the busid and put screens line back in I get a freeze at login (can see list of names, cannot select). More reading required..................

Back on the open source clonezilla backup for the time being.

Steve
igor83

Post by igor83 »

xircon wrote:Thanks for the links, but a) They are for Ubuntu, b) They haven't told me anything :(. I am running LMDE Sid, some of the dependencies listed do not exist in Debian.

Cheers

Steve
It just processed through my noggin that LMDE = Linux Mint Debian. I'm still not sure what Sid is but assume it's an older Linux Mint lady.

Last night, I added the xorg ppa as per the instructions in one of the links, but then I got a warning message about the repository not being authenticated. I changed my mind about upgrading based on a.) other users complaining on forums here or elsewhere about compatibility issues and random glitches after going this route and b.) not really sure there is such a big improvement to be had by upgrading the driver. If I read a message where someone said, "Wow, that made a big difference, now I can play 1080p, where before the player was really hesitating," then that might supply motivation.
xircon

Post by xircon »

|gor - Sid is a very naughty boy! (Debian Unstable). All Debian releases are named after Toy Story characters.

I want to get this running as I have injured my back and am off work for 3-4 weeks and want to try to get Half-Life2 running to stop day time television driving me up the wall :( The open source drivers do not work well with wine/crossover linux.

Cheers

Steve
igor83

Post by igor83 »

xircon wrote:|gor - Sid is a very naughty boy! (Debian Unstable). All Debian releases are named after Toy Story characters.

I want to get this running as I have injured my back and am off work for 3-4 weeks and want to try to get Half-Life2 running to stop day time television driving me up the wall :( The open source drivers do not work well with wine/crossover linux.

Cheers

Steve
Must have been karma that led me to reply, because I suffer from back issues too, mainly spinal disc herniation. All I can say is that ibuprofen is my favorite drug. Wish I knew more and could help, but I just installed LM about two weeks ago, so my knowledge is limited, but if it were me wanting to play a semi-modern video game, I'd go Windows. I went Linux for HTPC and it is working out okay, but for gaming, I don't know, do people do that? You can get Win7 preinstalled on a suitable desktop, albeit a refurb, delivered for under $300 that will be adequate for HL2 from NewEgg. Click on PCs & Laptops | Desktop PCs | Refurbished Desktop PCs and then in the left-hand column, under Brands click on Acer because Acer has the really good values. Right now I am salivating over this one and this one, The former (E-450) excels at low-wattage HTPC (processor's TDP=25w), while the latter (A4-3420) is your light-duty gamer PC. I swear if I had the space and the money I'd have a farm of twelve PC's in my house. I see deals like this and it drives me crazy. Of course this is why system builders can't make money, they get undercut by the big boys like NewEgg. It's why I don't even dream of selling systems to anybody. Well, I do dream, but the dreams stay in dreamland.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Ouch! Naproxen and cocodamol for me. Yeh, Windows is probably the way, but I just got a free copy of Crossover so it was time to play :)
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Xircon, I left that forum.

I was able to get it running on my laptop no problem. I have a Radeon 6520G HD GPU onchip with my AMD A6 Quad-Core CPU.

I must admit though, that with Cinnamon Desktop I do get a flicker that comes and goes but I had no problems with XFCE.

Perhaps you should try uninstall compiz?

sudo apt-get remove compiz*
and see if that helps?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Not got compiz installed - incompatible with gnome3 & cinnamon.

I have just installed an Arch variant (Manjaro) on a spare partition and got the non-free drivers installed, they call them Catalyst, not fglrx. Took them off immediately, screen tear, flicker and break up was awful. I think there are still problems with gnome3, the reason I took them off originally :(

Steve
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Well, I am also using the liquorix 3.6 kernel. If you are using the 3.2 kernel from the repos you might give the fglrx 12.6 drivers from the repo a shot too...
xircon

Post by xircon »

The beta drivers will not install, don't know why, they tell me that my device is incompatible, tried smxi and downloaded from AMD - both same.

And like you I run liquorix (per subject of post) and am up to date, 3.6.x (can't tell you exactly as am still logged into Manjaro).

Think I will have to boot windows if I want to play half-life2 :(

Cheers

Steve
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

you did run

aticonfig --initial
just for good measure?
xircon

Post by xircon »

Yup, did everything by the book, would not work, or would only give me fallback.

I think (from all the Googling I did) that you are just lucky! :)

Steve
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

try a different desktop...xfce...
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

DOH! I guess I may be lucky then! Sorry!
xircon

Post by xircon »

Yes, that is why I installed Manjaro, fglrx was just not going to work for me in Sid, but I saw good reports that it was working in Arch. I am just familiarizing myself with Arch (never used it before), before I take the plunge and install XFCE. Only problem is I will be stuck on XFCE if it works (not a fan), as it does not play nicely on Gnome3/Cinnamon (but it does install OK).

Cheers

Steve
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

There's always mate aka gnome 2

Return to “LMDE Archive”