Linux Mint 14 RC

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint 14 RC

Post by tdockery97 »

KBD47 wrote:The RC is looking good here. Running the Cinnamon 32 iso. Cinnamon is definitely more polished and responsive than the last time I used it. Not really having any issues so far.
Same here KBD47. Decided to give it a fair shot instead of standing on my previous experience with Cinnamon. I installed the 32 iso also, and using just the opensource Gallium driver for my ATI graphics I have all available effects with no lag in performance at all. What a pleasant surprise. Cinnamon has certainly come a long way in a very short time. I can definitely see this being my default desktop for daily use. While I really like MATE also, Cinnamon does feel a little more "modern".
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
toxiccity90

Post by toxiccity90 »

I came across this, this morning, if you run killall -STOP mate-screensaver before running totem it totally inhibits the screensaver. Not sure if this helps anyone. But it works for me as I run this as a script for a set time like 9600 seconds. ( 3 hours as most movies are under 3 hours).

My only other idea was to find out if its possible for the ppl of Totem to change the program for a MATE version to disable MATE the way I spoke of if the program detects that MATE is the screensaver instead of Gnome. This would work without the messy need for checking things through GTK3. It would just force kill the screensaver regardless, and possibly figure out a way to detect the length of the movie and wait 1 or however many minutes from end of movie before it re-enables the screensaver with command killall -CONT mate-screensaver. I know there should be a way to program something like this. As I've created a script already that does it for what ever time you input. Just need to find a way for the script to get the exact lenght of the movie and use that as the time to sleep in between running totem --quit.

Thank you all for looking at this information. And if you have any ideas or thoughts how to achieve this send me an email at needlez667@gmail.com. Or directly message me on G-talk. Thank you. :idea:
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:I am hoping the newer version of Cinnamon and Nemo get backported to the LTS. I really like all of the refinements in Mint 14,
If you would like to update to the latest versions of Cinnamon, muffin and Nemo now instead of waiting for these to be backported you can add the cinnamon-stable PPA:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
Before you update, modify your “/etc/apt/preferences” file via terminal:

gksu gedit /etc/apt/preferences
And add the following section and save:

Package: *
Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
Pin-Priority: 700
Once done you can open MintUpdate, refresh and update to the latest versions. These are stable versions by the way meaning they are built by the same developer that builds them for Mint but you probably already know this?

I’ve done this with LM 13/Cinnamon both amd64 (on my desktop w/Nvidia card) and my older laptop (ThinkPad R61 w/Intel 3100GM HD graphics) without a problem. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks kmb42vt! :D Now if I can figure out how to name the desktops I got it made! :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Double post for some reason :?
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:Thanks kmb42vt! :D Now if I can figure out how to name the desktops I got it made! :D
This should be default but in "Cinnamon Settings/Hot Corner" make sure that "Hot corner function" is set to "Workspace selection" via the drop down menu (it should be already if you haven't changed it) then run your mouse into the top left corner. When your workspaces are displayed they will be labeled "WORKSPACE 1", "WORKSPACE 2", etc. Simply click inside the workspace label box underneath any given workspace and you'll see the cursor show up. Delete the default workspace name, type your own name and hit "Enter". You're done.

The most obvious things are the hardest to find, yes? (ask me how I know this) :wink:
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

zerozero wrote:
squeezy wrote: Only issue so far is when I open Synaptic and the password dialog appears, nothing echoes back when I type the password in. It appears to take the password just fine, Synaptic launches, just don't get any visual feedback when typing.
i saw a similar problem today when i installed nadia-cinnamon but in mdm: at first boot (using nouveau) the username and p/w imput was a light yellow (unreadable); the issue solved itself after installing the nvidia drivers.
Due to some foolishness on my part :oops:, I ended up reinstalling Mint 14 RC today. Now the responsiveness to typed input in the password dialogs is perfect. I don't know if there was an update or something since I reinstalled and updated today, might have gotten an update I didn't have on yesterday's installation. Anyway, Mint 14 MATE is now working 100% on my machine :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

This should be default but in "Cinnamon Settings/Hot Corner" make sure that "Hot corner function" is set to "Workspace selection" via the drop down menu (it should be already if you haven't changed it) then run your mouse into the top left corner. When your workspaces are displayed they will be labeled "WORKSPACE 1", "WORKSPACE 2", etc. Simply click inside the workspace label box underneath any given workspace and you'll see the cursor show up. Delete the default workspace name, type your own name and hit "Enter". You're done.
I have these settings bt the workspace names are not displaying....
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Gave the RC another try on the desktop. I used the 304 drivers this time after applying all the updates. Everything seems alright so far and I have the latest Cinnamon and Nemo. :D
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote: Same here KBD47. Decided to give it a fair shot instead of standing on my previous experience with Cinnamon. I installed the 32 iso also, and using just the opensource Gallium driver for my ATI graphics I have all available effects with no lag in performance at all. What a pleasant surprise. Cinnamon has certainly come a long way in a very short time. I can definitely see this being my default desktop for daily use. While I really like MATE also, Cinnamon does feel a little more "modern".
I think with continued improvement Cinnamon will be a serious contender for top desktop in Linux.
aelfinn

Printer settings in Cinnamon

Post by aelfinn »

There seems to be no way to configure the printer, like changing the paper size etc. I have a feeling that there must be a way to do this, but the Printers thingie sure isn’t it.
drjster

Post by drjster »

exploder wrote:I am having an intermittent problem with the system getting a black screen and not getting to the MDM.... I looked at the settings in MDM and made a couple of changes but I am not sure that is where the problem is. Still investigating the issue.
This has been a reported/known issue for the last couple of releases (see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p583522) and am sorry to see it remains in 14 RC. Once I install the Nvidia driver, the MDM login screen sometimes disappears. My solution is the same as it's been: Change login managers. I use LightDM but GDM also works fine.
hairybiker
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Printer settings in Cinnamon

Post by hairybiker »

aelfinn wrote:There seems to be no way to configure the printer, like changing the paper size etc. I have a feeling that there must be a way to do this, but the Printers thingie sure isn’t it.
It is in mate but not cinammon. In that you need to use the url localhost:631 to get at cups, seems several steps back to me.

Still getting the no desktop - apart from the wallpaper - issue with mate. Clean install in a seperate partion, installed nvidia drivers and compiz. shutdown and restart and thats it no desktop. Done it twice now, first time with seperate /home second time all in same partition.
Will not be upgrading yet.
MaverickJester

Post by MaverickJester »

tdockery97 wrote:Cue fanfare!

I have installed the Mint 14 Nadia (MATE version) release candidate. I've given it every stress test I can think of in a short 3 hour period and my impression is that it is the most stable Mint version I have ever installed. All of my usual add-on apps installed without a hitch and function perfectly. I was happy to see the Minitube version in the repos has finally progressed to 1.9. It was also kind of nice to see the old Plymouth theme back, even though I know from following the development page on the Community Site that it wasn't intentional. Since I must now use the opensource ATI driver the Plymouth screen looks as it should.

Congrats to Clem and the dev team for a brilliant new release.

I am so glad to hear this news. I just noticed yesterday that the RC was out. I was just sitting here wondering about KDE or Cinnamon or Mate. After reading the release notes I think I am going to give Cinnamon a try. I hope it is as stable an experience as you had.
steveking9174

Post by steveking9174 »

I have a nice freshly burn dvd with the new RC sitting on my desk here at work, can't wait to get home and give it a spin! There are of course a few concerns about getting all the packages I frequently use on the new spin, but this is something I can overcome! Really excited about this one, I have tried many different flavours of Linux over the years and I always seem to stumble back to Mint with my tail between my legs.

I appreciate all the hard work Clem and the devs have done in making this minty release available! I look forward to this adventure into the depths of Nadia ;) and may my computing world remain nice and green :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Clem confirms the issue in a new blog post http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2211
the stable release will bring this fixed; in the RC it's a two commands fix (easy :D )

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

apt update
now you can install wine, skype, picasa and google-earth
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Today's update to mint-themes removes the Mint-Z theme.
aelfinn

Re: Printer settings in Cinnamon

Post by aelfinn »

hairybiker wrote:
aelfinn wrote:There seems to be no way to configure the printer, like changing the paper size etc. I have a feeling that there must be a way to do this, but the Printers thingie sure isn’t it.
It is in mate but not cinammon. In that you need to use the url localhost:631 to get at cups, seems several steps back to me.
Seriously? There is no GUI way to change these things in Cinnamon—and hasn’t been since the last release at least? Can some testers please put this on the Fix Urgently list?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

squeezy wrote:Today's update to mint-themes removes the Mint-Z theme.
and it won't come back :shock: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-theme ... cadc9ec802
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I installed the x64 Mate RC on my notebook tonight, it runs nice! I got too much screen flicker with the ATI discrete graphics and compositing. My desktop has the x64 Cinnamon RC and after figuring out the NVidea issues, it runs perfect now. I love the effects Cinnamon has but I really do not need them on the laptop, it just has to work reliably and the x64 Mate edition is working great! I never thought I would run Mate but for using an environment with no desktop effects enabled it still looks cool and has the features I like.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”