[SOLVED] Trackpad not scrolling

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dclement

[SOLVED] Trackpad not scrolling

Post by dclement »

Hello,

I just installed LM 13 Maya / Cinnamon on my daughter's laptop (a Dell Latitude 6330). Almost everything works out of the box, except the trackpad that won't scroll. (Tapping does work, though.)

I thought I would enable it by going to preferences > mouse and thouchpad, but there is only a mouse tab. Maybe that's the problem? (I've seen a solution on the forum which points to this setting, but how do I make this tab appear?)

I also tried the fix in the LMDE release notes (which I successfully applied on my own laptop), but it didn't help.

TIA for any advice - best regards, Daniel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stratus_ss

Re: Trackpad not scrolling

Post by stratus_ss »

Can you scroll via two fingers? Often times if the trackpad option doesnt show up using two fingers at the same time on the track pad will scroll
dclement

Post by dclement »

No, with two fingers there's no scrolling either. It even prevents the cursor from moving at all. It will only react to one finger.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

dclement

Post by dclement »

I tried the third post of the long thread you mentioned:

Code: Select all

synclient -l
Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?
There is surely the beginning of an explanation there: if no Synaptics driver is loaded, why should I get a "touchpad" tab in the mouse settings?

But, how do I get this driver to load? I tried to install gpointing-device-settings, but here also, there only appear options for the mouse.
bossa

Post by bossa »

hi all
I have this problem with a Dell N5110 laptop , but touchpad is not even in the mouse /touchpad options. Keep finding links in the ubuntu forum re alps deb but all links are broken any ideas ?
bossa

Post by bossa »

Please help guys , all the links I find to Alps Debs are all broken . Anybody got an idea what to do ?
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Ok. I have an HP nx9420 laptop with a core2 dual cpu, 4G ram, and Nvidia NVS 510M graphics. It also comes with a Synaptics touch-pad. I am running Mint 13 KDE 32-bit. The touch-pad will function as a normal mouse. But gestures do not work at all.

When I go into System Settings there is an icon for Input Devices. Inside of Input Devices there is a selection for Touchpad. When I select this setting, System Settings faults and terminates with an error.

So then I run these commands from a terminal:

sudo rmmod psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps

After entering this, the Touchpad works fine. Scroll, gestures and everything works. Curiously, when I return to System Settings, I can now open the Input Devices - Touchpad selection. It no longer terminates with a fault. Now it says I have no Touchpad. Hmmmmmm. But it's all working pretty good now.

But when I reboot, the Touchpad returns to functioning without gestures till I do the above procedures in a terminal once again. It works fine once more, but the setting do not save after reboot.

Any ideas?
dclement

Post by dclement »

Hmm... Interesting, but:
Rudemeister wrote: When I go into System Settings there is an icon for Input Devices. Inside of Input Devices there is a selection for Touchpad.
... Not in my case -- I wish I had one! I can't test the proposed fix right now, because I don't have the said PC at hand today.

However, a search about the temporary fix you suggest leads here.

What about trying comments #7 or #15 to make the temporary fix permanent?

I'll test ASAP. BR, Daniel
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

Rudemeister wrote:Ok. I have an HP nx9420 laptop with a core2 dual cpu, 4G ram, and Nvidia NVS 510M graphics. It also comes with a Synaptics touch-pad. I am running Mint 13 KDE 32-bit. The touch-pad will function as a normal mouse. But gestures do not work at all.

When I go into System Settings there is an icon for Input Devices. Inside of Input Devices there is a selection for Touchpad. When I select this setting, System Settings faults and terminates with an error.

So then I run these commands from a terminal:

sudo rmmod psmouse

After entering this, the Touchpad works fine. Scroll, gestures and everything works. Curiously, when I return to System Settings, I can now open the Input Devices - Touchpad selection. It no longer terminates with a fault. Now it says I have no Touchpad. Hmmmmmm. But it's all working pretty good now.

But when I reboot, the Touchpad returns to functioning without gestures till I do the above procedures in a terminal once again. It works fine once more, but the setting do not save after reboot.

Any ideas?
I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I would answer these questions after having been away for a while. In order to make these changes permanent you can do insmod on the protoimps module, as for removing and re-adding psmouse I have to imagine that this is best taken care of in a script
dclement

Post by dclement »

Hmm... In my case these instructions

sudo rmmod psmouse

do not help. So I fear that the issue with this trackpad is more serious (recall that there is no trackpad tab in the preferences panel).

I really would like to get at least side scrolling working, even plain one-finger scrolling...
dclement

Post by dclement »

Well I'm posting in this old thread, just to mention that UP7 solved this issue. There is now a touchpad tab under the mouse preferences, and its settings are effective.

Return to “Hardware Support”