Experiences with KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Steely

Experiences with KDE

Post by Steely »

Hi

New to this forum and my first post :D

Just a little background info. I have been using computers since the 80's ( dumb terminal / mainframe ) and have used almost every version of Windows except for Vista. I have also worked with Solaris. As far as Linux goes I tried Redhat and Mandrake several years ago but never got into them seriously. About 3 years ago I installed Ubuntu and have never looked back at Windows.

I liked Gnome at first but when I tried KDE I knew it was what I wanted running on my computer. However I ran into several bugs with the versions of Kubuntu and the bugs would be fixed in new releases and new ones would pop up. The installation of nvidia drivers is a hit or miss thing with Kubuntu for me. The restricted drivers manager would install the proprietary driver but I could not get it to function properly unless I manaually edited major chunks of my xorg.conf file. The Envy installer worked better but still required me to do additional editing of my xorg.conf file. Not that editing it is something bad but when there is minimal editing involved it's a definite bonus.

Not wanting to give up on KDE I have also tried other distributions. SimplyMepis installed well and was very stable ( prob due to its underlying Debian stable base ) but there is a bug with Firefox that causes it to close unexpectantly. It was also a chore to get any other language than US English to be used by default in most programs. Mepis does have some great tools to fix your system in the event that you trash it. I need a stable distribution with a stable browser so I decided to give PCLinuxOS 2007 a try. It was stable enough and looked good but it still needs improvement with the amount of packages available.

I had heard of Linux Mint so I gave the Main Edition ( Gnome ) a try and was impressed with it right away. It was more stable than Gutsy Gibbon on my system and used far fewer resources. When going through the Mint website I saw that there was a KDE version of Mint coming out in March. Based on my positive experience with the Main Edition I downloaded and installed the final release of Mint 4.0 KDE CE. The install took about half the time that Kubuntu takes and it booted up to a nice clean desktop. The installation of updates went without any problem. With the current version of Kubuntu I have to restart X when it encounters the kde language pack for english canadian and you get a series of stack smash errors and then have to run the updates from the cli. The Envy installer detected the correct nvidia card on my system and upon reboot all I had to do was edit a few lines in my xorg.conf file to get my side mouse buttons working. I like the fact that Synaptic is included on the default install. I had very few additional programs to install as almost all my needs program wise are included on a default install.

Boo, the developer, definitely deserves praise for what he has done with this release. The major items like system updates and hardware work well but where I think it really shines is in the small details. Having used other distrubutions and DE's I would find myself wishing the distribution or DE had a certain feature or application. I have yet to find myself doing that with Mint ( both Gnome and KDE ). I have noticed some of the packages might be a bit older than on other distributions but from what I can tell it is that stability comes before having the latest and greatest. I will always go for stability rather than being bleeding edge. Besides the stability of both editions I have found that there is a focus on what the user needs / wants.

I hope my comments on other distributions is not taken as being negative. All distributions have their strengths and weaknesses. It's really satisfying when you find one that works well with your hardware and has a stable base and great applications. Mint 4.0 KDE CE has met all of those for me.

Dale
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Experiences with KDE

Post by lakehousetech »

KDE seems to be the most popular desktop environment for Linux from what I have heard. I've tried KDE in the past, but keep coming back to gnome. I think they are both good DE's, and it's just a matter of preference in regards to the layouts and some specific apps. Sorry to go a little off topic here, but I really want to see a release of a beta or CE of debian Mint. Whatcha think?
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Welcome dmk62,
I started out on KDE then switched to GNOME when I discovered Mint. I stayed away from Mint KDE because I thought it was second rate (the way that Kubuntu is to Ubuntu). Then I tried a beta of the current release...I could not believe how nice it was. When the final release of Linux Mint Daryna KDE CE came out, I installed it and have never been happier with my desktop. It is not second rate in any sense, Boo does a great job and it gets the same testing and tweaking as the main edition.

I've been following the thread relating to the release and I am amazed at how few problems there actually are. A testament to the development and release processes of the entire Mint team.

Enjoy your day,
--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

I've been a diehard gnome guy for several years....until Mint KDE CE. I've switched.....what a great distro! Kudo's to Boo.

john
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Hi dmk62,

You're the reason I'm going to give LINUX Mint KDE CE a try as I have said my final goodbye to kubuntu gutsy gibbon after having a constant problem with my particular acer monitor, and would get a message from the monitor about "input not supported" and "no signal", and then after doing partial updates (since I have dial-up modem) I ended up with a kernel panic and couldn't figure out how to fix it. So, I'm currently back to ubuntu feisty fawn, but I still prefer the kde desktop after my previous experience with Simple Mepis.

Glad this distro is working for you and I can't wait to try it on my current amd xp processor.

Regards!

P.S. to the other person - great avatar of that bare tree.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

SimplyMepis installed well and was very stable ( prob due to its underlying Debian stable base ) but there is a bug with Firefox that causes it to close unexpectantly.
I've heard about this problem, but it hasn't been happening here (?), so Mepis has been great for me. I haven't tried the KDE version of Mint yet -- quite happy with Daryna's GNOME version. Etch also runs both GNOME and KDE quite well here; same with PCLOS 2007. Looking forward to the KDE version of Mint 5.0!
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Hi MALsPa,

I don't know if this is relevant, but while using a version from last year of Firefox in MacOSx 10.4.9, Firefox would have to start a new session upon restarting the application if I clicked on the "X" to close the app. It always happened if I had visited a Java page. The solution was to use the pull down menu and click on "quit Firefox", instead of clicking on the "X" to close the browser.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I don't know if this is relevant, but while using a version from last year of Firefox in MacOSx 10.4.9, Firefox would have to start a new session upon restarting the application if I clicked on the "X" to close the app. It always happened if I had visited a Java page. The solution was to use the pull down menu and click on "quit Firefox", instead of clicking on the "X" to close the browser.
That doesn't sound good! Was it ever fixed?
Steely

Post by Steely »

Hi Cubby,

Let me know how it goes with KDE CE. Hope you like it !!!

Dale
tank116

Post by tank116 »

well let me start by saying iv'e been playing around with more os's than i care to remember. But i can honestly say that this KDE CE edition is great and i do very much appreciate all the work the dev team has put into this release. CE or not i love it. Just last night i was having trouble getting vista ultimate to dual boot with it and after several attempts to get it to work i finally went to bed thinking that i would have to live with switching the boot drives in the bios and after working all night i woke up this morning and reinstalled KDE CE and after updating poof there was the vista longhorn loader in grub (thx to who ever fixed that :D ) . Keep up the great work !
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

MALsPa wrote:
That doesn't sound good! Was it ever fixed?
I don't know. I read somewhere that it had something to do with Java, and that Firefox version 2.0.0.7 on MacOSx would still be running in the back ground if you simply clicked the X in the upper right hand corner to close the browser. So, to fix the problem I got in the habit of using the drop down menu of the browser and clicking on "Quit", especially if I had been using Macromedia Flash or JRE to run an applet.

I now use SeaMonkey on my Mac as I like the Composer editor.

Funny to mention Firefox crashing. I had it happen a couple days ago at a particular site while using ubuntu Feisty Fawn with all of the current updates. It would crash the Xorg server. I notice that it is now a bug report at launchpad. I fixed the problem by deleting my default user profile and creating a new one. I messed up something big time, though and did a reinstall of the OS. I do this a lot, by the way. :wink: Anyway, I decided to steer clear of adding JRE and Macromedia Flash to my system, and only have Java Common installed. I'm using Netscape browser and am back and running again.

Sorry for the off topic. Carry on, folks!

Dale, I'll let you know how the install goes when the disc arrives.

Cheers!
kevmille

Post by kevmille »

I just switched from Linux Mint 4 Gnome to LM 4 KDE and love it. Ironically, LM 4 KDE was the first time intel-hda worked in Linux for me with all 5 speakers, a feat that only FreeBSD could do a couple months ago.

Because I do not like KDE4, I think once LM switches to KDE4, I will go back to the Gnome desktop. Gnome 2.22 is really nice. I will test it out on FC9 tomorrow when it is released.
symon1980

Post by symon1980 »

I too have been very impressed with Linux Mint Kde, i have gone back and forth between gnome and kde for quite a while,
but one day decided, nah... Kde is for me. Gnome works well, but it is uglier than windows 95. lol... i'll probly get abused for that :)
Anyways.... don't give up Kde just because you don't like Kde4 at the moment.... It is nowhere near ready for prime time yet, by the time Kde 4.2 comes out,
It will be Awesome.... At the moment its still buggy as hell, and they are still playing about with the themes.
At the moment i am using Pclinuxos, because although i love mint, i wanted a distro dedicated to KDE first priority, and not gnome... and kde second, but.... I have to say
That LinuxMint and Pclinux have the best implementation of KDE available... I still check out the mint forums and try out anything new though :)
so when is Elyssa KDE coming out??? :)

Symon.
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Hi,

I finally installed Daryna and I'm quite impressed! Yesterday I let it update 216 software packages.

The only thing is that it doesn't recognize my new sound card, but I would expect this since the sound card is so new. I've been working on manually installing the snd-oxygen drivers (thanks to Mr. Ladisch http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/ ... ensLadisch ), but it is beyond me. For now I will be happy that I can use on-board sound and wait for this new sound card to be implemented in the future. Everything else is working fine, so I am pleased.

Return to “Software & Applications”