Can't enter password after waking the computer from sleep

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Caelic

Can't enter password after waking the computer from sleep

Post by Caelic »

Sleep may not be the right term for the state - when I idle too long, the default setting is to stop putting out video and leave the system running otherwise, and give me a password screen if I hit the mouse or keyboard.

That's fine, and that's how I'd like it to be, but when I do that it won't allow me to input text into the password box.

Clicking with the mouse doesn't cause the cursor I'd expect to see in that box to appear. My keyboard *seems* to be active at this point, but since I can't type anything I'm not sure. The num, caps, and scroll lock keys light up if I press the appropriate key.

I feel like there must be something obvious I'm missing, and that I can't be the only one with this problem..

I'm on Mint 13 running Cinnamon. I haven't changed anything since the install a few days ago, but I did carry over a home folder from an old ubuntu install, so I guess I could have some bad settings.

Another issue is that my sound over HDMI cuts out whenever the TV is shut off - reading elsewhere has indicated this is an issue with the proprietary driver, but the sound won't work at all without it. I'll probably post that seperately, but if anyone knows a workaround off the top of their head, let me know! :D

Anyway thanks for reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Caelic

Re: Can't enter password after waking the computer from slee

Post by Caelic »

So, I had this problem several times.. then I set the system not to lock the screen at all, and it still has a password option, but now I can click and enter a password..?

Regardless, my system is no longer having that problem, though I'm still at a loss as to why.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Another issue is that my sound over HDMI cuts out whenever the TV is shut off

If you are running your sound through the tv it needs to be on to power the speakers.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Try creating another user, this will show if it is a problem with your copied home directory.

Turn off the lock screen will also solve the problem, it is in the gnome-control-center > Brightness & lock section.

Cheers

Steve
Viking64

Post by Viking64 »

Return to “LMDE Archive”