Can I re-burn a custom LiveCD?

Make a liveCD/DVD out of your installed LinuxMint (Ubuntu/Debian) system

Can I re-burn a custom LiveCD?

Postby marcello on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:02 am

Hi,

I would like to change a few settings in the liveCD and re-burn a new liveCD with the new settings. The changes I want are things like:
changing keyboard language
changing the sound card that is used
changing firefox homepage
changing firefox default download location

You are probably going to tell me that is not possible. If that's the case then is there another linux that I should try? I won't use any customization tool that is not provided by the site itself that provides the linux version. I'm a little paranoiac like that.

Thanks
marcello
marcello
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I re-burn a custom LiveCD?

Postby lahirdenganselamat on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:21 am

Try remastersys, google it, visit their site, join their forum, and good luck :D
ASUS 1215B AMD E-350 with Linux Mint 15 KDE, Precise Puppy, and Saluki
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Postby marcello on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:32 am

Hi,

it's me again the original poster. I need a linux version that is just like mint and has remastering feature build in the menu.

I tried out remastersys and it was very frustrating with never ending complications. It was possibly the worst experince I had in front of a pc in my lifetime. I found it complicated beyond comprehension. I need a simple solution like pupply linux has. In puppy linux within the livecd you can click the main menu and select setup>Remaster Puppy LiveCD and it will create you a new iso file on the fly of your current system. I need to install truecrypt and vmware and make some more changes but I need to run it from CD.

Unfortunately pupply linux is beyond repair. It doesn't have a folder tree navigation. It doesn't even have firefox (it uses seamonkey instead) and their download page has maybe 60 different files all put in the same ftp directory. It is a total mess. Everything is everywhere. I need to do google search to find my keyboard layout.

Why doesn't mint have a remastering liveCD feature in the menu? Do you know any other linux that does? I don't want linux on USB. I want it on a CD to make it virus proof for browsing safely.

Edit:
I just found about susestudio.com which is a website where you create your own custom linux and even run it of the web before downloading. It looks easy enough. That might be my best option. I should try out Chrome OS as vmware virtual machine.
marcello
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chiefjim on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:51 am

Remastersys should indeed do everything you need. To keep things simple use the Distribution selection.

Installing it takes 5 minutes or less. Maybe another 5 minutes to customize the options.

My Mint 14 Mate system is a hybrid using several added KDE apps; kmymoney, k3b, etc. Once setup I run remastersys to have system backup on hand. Also ideal for handing out to friends and family as they initially receive a carbon copy of what I am running.
Desktop:
Mint-17 64 bit with Mate
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
AMD Athlon II X3 425
CORSAIR 4GB DDR2 800
640GB HDD WD Black 7200rpm

Laptop:
Acer Aspire AS5552-5898
Mint-17 64 bit with Mate
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830
4GB Memory DDR3
500GB HDD 5400rpm
chiefjim
Level 4
Level 4

Postby JackB on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:55 am

chiefjim wrote:Remastersys should indeed do everything you need. To keep things simple use the Distribution selection.

Installing it takes 5 minutes or less. Maybe another 5 minutes to customize the options.

My Mint 14 Mate system is a hybrid using several added KDE apps; kmymoney, k3b, etc. Once setup I run remastersys to have system backup on hand. Also ideal for handing out to friends and family as they initially receive a carbon copy of what I am running.

I would like to do exactly the same as marcello. I have some experience with remastersys and with Mint 13 I used it quite a lot. However on Mint 14-32 Cinnamon I can't install remastersys according to both methods shown on the remastersys webpage.

How did you manage to install it?
JackB
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rottger1911 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:41 am

this is not a very difficult taks in mind.

boot it 2 ram!

then customize the system as needed....

then get this system itself out - eG transforming into ISO.

///

what i read on Knoppix is that they do it with virtualmachining, making snapshots out of it - or theyre chroot into a livesystem - and copy the content out...

i would say a > getThisSystemtoBOATABLE-ISO would be for the 2RAM people - a sake of heaven... !

///

or in other questions - how2 get a installed system with eG on commandline boatloader 2 ram ???

(for performance and other reasons... )!

+suggestions for mint live cd

+torbrowser
+chromium-browser
+nvdiatools
+some further additions like WM
+some other toolkit, etterCAP, etC
+openRa, etC

so to build a custom ISO, u have to prepare uor boat as u really want it, eG newer MOTOR (other kernel) and THEN - there should be a possibility to SNAP this CONFIGSETUP into a ISOSHOT!

mfG

ruediger

meesdorf.de
rottger1911
Level 1
Level 1

Postby marcello on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm never going to use remastersys again. It was a nightmare at every step. I'm hugely disappointed linux mint doesn't have a native remastering feature. Mint is the easiest linux for linux novices but you expect us to do incredibly complicated and never ending tasks just to customize the CD. This is not acceptable. Even pupply linux which is not aimed at linux newcomers has this feature. I will go and experiment first with suse. If that doesn't work I will look for other solutions.
marcello
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rottger1911 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:55 am

nah, marsel

what i would suspect, is a package where people can grep a programm or "scriptomat" - that is able to get the cd built that customized again.

i wonder if there is a "remaster-CDISO" programm already in some package ready?

!
rottger1911
Level 1
Level 1

Postby SurfaceUnits on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 pm

all you need to do with remastersys is
1) Install it and either the GUI or the GTK
2) run it
3) Click Dist --> wait for it to build the iso
4) goto /home/resmastersys/remastersys and your iso is waiting
"Bite the wax tadpole"
SurfaceUnits
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xenopeek on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:06 am

Linux Mint can be remastered with the mintConstructor tool: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918. I'm not sure you can change the settings easily to what you want though.

You may also want to take a look at clonezilla.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby SurfaceUnits on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Remastersys lets you chose a default user configuration, but to get hardware and keyboard settings to stick you need to use an image backup

Some notes about using the dist option

You should start with a clean install of Ubuntu or variant and use a single user to make all changes. You should not install any proprietary video drivers like the nvidia or ati drivers as they will not be used on the livecd and users will have to reinstall them after installation. Clean up history and cache and copy over the contents to /etc/skel but be sure to change the ownership of everything in /etc/skel to root. While the livecd/dvd is being created, you should not open any other apps or windows. Do not under any circumstances enable auto login as it will cause the live user creation portion of casper to fail and you will not get to the desktop.

Some notes about the backup option

You can log into the livecd/dvd with any valid user that was on the system on the hard drive but it is recommended to log into the first one created during the initial installation as that is the user that can sudo. When you come to install this back to a hard drive, the user setup portion of ubiquity (the install program) is just a placeholder other than the system name. The username and password set here will not be used but must be created in order to continue with the installation. Part of the reason for this is that your users are already created so you don't need to create them again, but more importantly because user setup is an integral part of the install program and cannot be removed or bypassed easily. If you were using proprietary video drivers like the nvidia or ati ones, you will need to reinstall them. The Ubuntu livecd scripts prevent these from running properly but reinstalling them after installation will make them work again.
"Bite the wax tadpole"
SurfaceUnits
Level 3
Level 3

Postby semiono on Mon May 12, 2014 6:29 pm

Please help me! What is actual tools now to recreate LMDE 2014?
I use linuxmint-201403-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.iso > from usb stick. It's OK!
I need make a fiew changes for myself customisation, like to add mc, mingetty etc.
What is regular way?

:)

Advanced I wish make a console style text mode install distributive like gentoo, is it posible? :idea: :oops:
Is it possible to start the insall (mint desktop shortcut) uder bash?
sudo включить компьютер
semiono
Level 1
Level 1

Postby konjad on Fri May 16, 2014 4:45 am

How does this compare against making an image of a hard drive? I remember I used APTonCD to make additional disk installator with the software I use, but it was terrible and mostly useless, as I needed internet connection anyway.
konjad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xsog on Tue May 20, 2014 5:28 am

simple answer yes you can! :D
xsog
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Remastersys