LMDE + ATI + OpenGL = problem

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Deric

LMDE + ATI + OpenGL = problem

Post by Deric »

Hi 2 all.

Plz help me to solve problem with my ATI HD5870 videocard and OpenGL support on it.
That what gives me a command /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag --debug

Code: Select all

[OpenglNoDRI]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="OpenGL is not using Direct Rendering"
"Description"="This typically indicates a graphics driver configuration issue and will prevent most 3D games and applications from working correctly."

OpenGL vendor = 'ATI Technologies Inc.'
OpenGL version = '1.4 (2.1 (4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context))'
OpenGL renderer = 'ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series '
[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="ATI Technologies Inc."

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="1.4 (2.1 (4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context))"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series "
In case of that, i can't run any game in wine\crossover.
I install ATI drivers follow this instructions

Thx for any help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lizbeth

Re: LMDE + ATI + OpenGL = problem

Post by lizbeth »

If you are using LMDE you should not follow those instructions. Those instructions are for debian squeeze to back port from debian testing. LMDE is based on debian testing so there is no need to backport anything.

I am running LMDE with Cinnamon and atm using the fglrx drivers in the repo on the liquorix kernel 3.6 without a problem on my radeon 6520G HD GPU and so should you be able to also.

Just open up a terminal and type the following:

sudo apt-get install glx-alternative-fglrx fglrx-driver fglrx-control amd-opencl-icd
after that runs type the following

sudo aticonfig --initial
then reboot.

You're all set.
Deric

Post by Deric »

Thx for help.
But trouble not in installing driver, but in Direct Rending support in Crossover\wine.
Crossover support said that i have not install 32-bit openGL drivers ... but other utils said that direct rending is ok .... i don`t get it what is wrong ...
xircon

Post by xircon »

3d support on the open source driver is poor, you need the proprietary AMD driver. They work for Lizbeth, they don't work for me - HD5400. I suggest using clonezilla before trying to install.

Steve
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

fglrx in LMDE UP5 repo (12.6 point 1) doesn't work with 32 bit applications like Wine due to a bug.

either install 12.6 point 3 from debian sid (apt-pinning) or wait for UP6 (although I don't know if this will be fixed - broken drivers are still in debian testing).

open drivers are not only much slower. no power play, no opencl, no UVD.... they are good only for old cards.
There is no point in buying $200+ card and have it working like $20 card :evil:
Deric

Post by Deric »

sobrus wrote:fglrx in LMDE UP5 repo (12.6 point 1) doesn't work with 32 bit applications like Wine due to a bug.
either install 12.6 point 3 from debian sid (apt-pinning) or wait for UP6 (although I don't know if this will be fixed - broken drivers are still in debian testing).
Wow you killing me man! Where i can read about this? I can`t live without games :mrgreen:
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

This is known debian bug:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=683853

I've already reported it on forum, but nobody said it will be fixed in LMDE (yet).
Im sticking with Catalyst 12.2 until fixed version is available. But since you can't install 12.2 any longer, it seems like you have a problem :(

You can try to install drivers using different way, some ppl use special script to install newest drivers. As far as i remember it is called "sgfxi".
I don't have any experience with it though, so good luck and make backup ;)
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

I know some people use pinning to add a repository and that's fine. It's a bit complicated.
All I do is add the repository and then later mute it out with a # in front of the line when I'm done.
So to get the 12.10 Catalyst drivers from the repo add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list
then add this line:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contirb non-free
save and exit, then

sudo apt-get update
after update you need to type the following to get the catalyst 12.10 drivers

apt-get -t experimental install  fglrx-modules-dkms fglrx-driver libgl1-fglrx-glx fglrx-control
after you install the drivers be sure to do

sudo aticonfig --initial
then mute the e repo line you just added

now mute the line by placing the # at the beginning of the line so it looks like this

# deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contirb non-free
save and exit

now reboot

Finished :mrgreen:

If someone else wants to explain pinning, that's fine.

Supposing the drivers don't work for you and you can't work with the desktop, reboot in recovery mode and

sudo apt-get remove fglrx*
have a live dvd ready or usb as

boot it

open a terminal

sudo nemo
navigate to /etc/X11 and delete xorg.conf
Last edited by lizbeth on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

It is also worth mentioning that if you ever download the drivers from the AMD website and they don't work, simply reboot in recovery mode and

sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
Deric

Post by Deric »

lizbeth wrote: Finished :mrgreen:
Thx for guide, but installing drivers from experimental repo not solve problem - i steel not have OpenGL, it seems sobrus right about bug ... :cry:
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

you still need this to set gl to fglrx

sudo apt-get install glx-alternative-fglrx
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

Deric wrote:
lizbeth wrote: Finished :mrgreen:
Thx for guide, but installing drivers from experimental repo not solve problem - i steel not have OpenGL, it seems sobrus right about bug ... :cry:
No, this bug only affects Catalyst 12.6+point-1.
Any other driver version, 12.2, 12.10 or even 12.6+point-2 should work just fine.

Maybe you have forgot that starting from 12.6 catalyst driver in debian are multiarch.
You need to enable multiarch and install all needed :i386 files to run 32 bit applications.

Look here:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/fglrx-glx-ia32
Pakiet: fglrx-glx-ia32 (1:12-6+point-3) [non-free]
please switch to multiarch libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386
Installing fglrx from sid is very similar to apt-pinning. Just remember to remove debian entry from sources.list afterwards, because it will probably mess your LMDE on next dist-upgrade.
This is why apt-pinning is safer.
Deric

Post by Deric »

lizbeth wrote:you still need this to set gl to fglrx

sudo apt-get install glx-alternative-fglrx
Hm ... this package is installed in my system!
sobrus wrote:Maybe you have forgot that starting from 12.6 catalyst driver in debian are multiarch.
You need to enable multiarch and install all needed :i386 files to run 32 bit applications.
I look in my records - i do that some time ago, but when i trying to switch to multiarch and installing libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386

dpkg --add-architecture i386 
apt-get update 
apt-get install libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386
this package always remove teamviewer and crossover apps ... maybe problem in that two apps??? Because if I install them back - I get the results of my first posts!
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

lizbeth wrote: ...
So to get the 12.10 Catalyst drivers from the repo add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list

then add this line:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contirb non-free
save and exit, then

sudo apt-get update
after update you need to type the following to get the catalyst 12.10 drivers

apt-get -t experimental install  fglrx-modules-dkms fglrx-driver libgl1-fglrx-glx fglrx-control
after you install the drivers be sure to do

sudo aticonfig --initial
then mute the e repo line you just added

now mute the line by placing the # at the beginning of the line so it looks like this

# deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contirb non-free
save and exit

now reboot
Lizbeth, you seem to be the resident expert on installing AMD graphics cards correctly for Mint users -- especially for LMDE users (which I am). I am close to making a purchase decision for a Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 low profile card for my Gateway SX2800 desktop, but (of course) I had to insure that others have successfully used this (fairly recent) card themselves. Can you (or anyone else here) comment on the following questions?

- Is the method above (which gets Catalyst/flgrx 12.10 from experimental repositories) the recommended approach?
- Or is downloading/installing the zipped 'run' file from AMD (12.10 or 12.11 beta)?

In another thread, you mentioned that 12.11b "addresses many issues with HD 7xxx cards". Since that version is not yet in any Debian/LMDE repositories, it implies that the AMD zip/run file would be required, right? Any idea how long it would be before 12.11b is in the Debian/LMDE repositories?

Thanks!
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

That's probably not going to happen soon as it is still a beta driver. I am not one who does the decision making... I have nothing to do with the distro production... I'm just a mint debian user who has tracked down some issues with the ati drivers and share what I learned.

Lots of people know more than me, but they seem to be not on the board so much it seems.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

xchat has a link directly to the debian mint channel from the live dvd.. More likely to get answers from there about when files might be added..
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

lizbeth wrote:Lots of people know more than me, but they seem to be not on the board so much it seems.
Thanks for commenting on the secondary question re: timing of the beta getting into the repos, but do you have any thoughts on my other query i.e. the best method of installation? If I were guessing, maybe the 'safe' answer is to use the older repo 'apt-get' method first, and only if this doesn't provide satisfactory behavior to then try the second 'riskier' method of installing the beta binary from AMD?
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

apt-get is always the best option...

Return to “LMDE Archive”