macbook don't boot please help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

macbook don't boot please help

Post by guest »

Hi,

sitting here now for 6 hours, and now really frustraded. I'm trying to install Mint 4.0 on my Macbook. My configuration is:

1. Partition EFI drive
2. Partion OSX sda2
3. Partition root device sda3
4. Partition swap

I searched the forum and deactivated the entrys gfx-boot and colours. But when i boot (i have bootcamp installed) i don't get over the point where grub says:
loading stage 2
I burned a super grub cd too, same problem hangs at loading stage 2

please ! i need help! I have installed the grub in (hda0,2) i thought it was the right place.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Re: macbook don't boot please help

Post by foggytown »

Hi Guest,
This is an incompatibility between Apple firmware and Mint's version of Grub. You can find a (fairly complex) work around in the following thread:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7522

Unfortunately, Apple really isn't the best about releasing documentation for their hardware...

Good luck,
--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley

Post by guest »

need your help again......

I had a sucsess. I installed Ubuntu first, then copied the whole folder /boot/grub . Then i installed Mint without a bootloader, and copied the files back.
Mint is going to start, but on the screen that looks like the live cd background it stops. Whats the problem here? I wont give up......

Post by guest »

it worked!!! finally after two days, it worked. I even get my mighty mouse to run. I will try to put my solution in text form so that others can do the same.

thanx :D
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

congratulations for sticking with it...my solution was to trade the Mac for a more generic box...

--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley

Return to “Installation & Boot”